A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Eternal Beauty

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Eternal Beauty

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:36 pm

I have named this painting Eternal Beauty simply because the subject has been, is and always will be to man. A woman is the temple of life. In my mind all women are temples of life and all men are the guardians and protectors, at least we should be. Any painting that is exploitive, demeaning, abusive, or demonstrative of pain is not acceptable to me no matter the reasons. So, in my own way I am protesting those paintings that I am seeing in the world of art intended to shock the viewer. My personal artistic goal is to produce objects of art that enhances our human existence by giving us a pleasant moment of enjoyment.

OK, with all that said, I started the drawing phase of this painting three days ago on November 2nd. That phase is finished and ready for posting. I am presenting all the drawing phases framed in the custom frame I bought a month ago. I have been mentally working on this one for a couple of months now. I just about have the final product design worked out in my mind. I do wonder what the final painted will look like, as I always do. Hope you enjoy the process and the product.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Eternal Beauty

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:55 am

OK, moving on to the pastel stage. I chose to add this step to the painting process development because I am very unsure about which way I want to go with the background. I have an idea about making the background dark like the old masters in the portraits and still life paintings, but I want to fade it to lighter wood brown tones at the bottom. I also can't make up my mind yet what color or colors I should make the fabric so I decided to do the testing in pastels so I could actually see it. Still thinking about this problem as I continue the production. It will most likely be at the last minute as I close in with the background and maybe the form. There are eight posts in the pastel developmental stage. Enjoy and chip in a critique or comment if you wish.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Dragondust » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Wow...gorgeous!
Dragondust

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Thank you. I hope the oil painting is what I see in my mind. Never know though, Most of the time the painting will turn out how it wants to.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 am

Good morning. Seven posts today. Moving along I think nicely. I changed the fabric color from the original plan. It started to look like the red takes the viewer's attention off the form. I want the fabric to accent the form, not the other way around. I also don't want to wrinkle or present multiple folds in the fabric because I feel it would take the painting in the direction of neo-classical. I don't want that either. I want a more crisp, clean and modern look to the painting. When finished I hope to achieve a blend of sorts between a well painted almost classical nude placed into an ethereal earth colored field with a small blanket or towel she could take with her if she wanted to step out of the painting. Anyway those are the thoughts for now.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 am

Good morning. Finished the fabric and the basic colorization of the hair. I think I will do the body and face before I return to the hair for highlighting. I need to see the finished color relationships between the body, hair and background before I can decide about how to finish the hair. I also need to lay in the shadows that I have to wait a little bit for so the paint can dry enough before I lay the shadow color glazes which I have to determine the hues and values before I touch a brush to the painting. Just love solving all the technical stuff in order for a painting to just appear effortless and natural as in, well of course, that is the way it is supposed to look. There are three progress posts today.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Looking good Carl.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks Joe. I will be posting some more updates this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Starting to paint in the body. There are four posts.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:10 am

Good morning. Boredom is starting to set in. I have to pay attention to color hues, values and intensities as I do each section. It takes total concentration. Each new section demands some adjustments in areas already painted in the adjacent as well as areas on the other side of where I am painting. I have not made up my mind whether or not I should do the old Flemish master's technique of stubling the edge interface between the form and the background. If I do that I will most likely weld the form to the painting thus removing the visual impression that the woman could step out of the painting at any time. The sharper the edges the more separate forms appear from the background. But by stubling, The form looks more realistic by being less stylized. Probably getting ahead of myself with those thoughts. Those folded knees are making me stretch mine more just to feel relief by releasing all that stored kinetic energy. And, I am considering the dreaded glaze technique for the shadows and shade enhancements on the form. Do I want to spend that much time on this. I may have to if I can't think of another technique to increase the "realness" of this image. It is a funny thing in the art world that nude paintings sales values do not justify the time and product costs it takes to do one while at the same time a person is not, at least on a subconscious level, considered a "true" artist unless that artist has painted a natural and realistic nude. What an oxymoronic condition. Going to stop here and move on. I have a time deadline to meet in order to enter this into a contest. So, moving on. There are four posts today and then I am going back to work.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby MTH » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:03 am

Thank you for posting all these progress shots and describing what you are thinking about as you work - it is always so interesting to get a glimpse into another painter's process (both the physical process as well as the thought process). I look forward to seeing your painting's continued development. I am not familiar with the term stubling, used in your last post, could you explain that one?
MTH

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:45 am

Thank you for your comments Margot. My apologies for using the word stubling , I should have defined it. It is my own word for my technique based on scumbling. That technique was discovered when I reworked a portrait of Halley Barrie. I took a small brush, cut about 2/3rds of it off and used a very thin oil color wash with odorless turpentine. The very thin paint is placed on the canvas where the flesh tones meet the darker colors. The use of the brush is done with small movements of scratching and rubbing usually in circles and up and down punches on the canvas. It delivers less paint to the canvas than scumbling thereby reducing the chance of overdoing the color exchanges and having to correct the now softened edges of the face or body. Additionally the old masters would use the scumbling technique with lighter colors over the darker ones. I do the reverse with the darker colors matching the background colors of the areas I am reworking. It seems to add a depth of shadow allowing the lighter colors to appear lighter without having to add lighter flesh tones. The risk of adding lighter flesh tones is that it tends to wash out the skin color forcing me to go back and forth until I get the skin colors right again. Hopes this explanation helps.
CarlOwen

Postby MTH » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Thank you that does help!
MTH

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:44 am

Good morning. Been fussing and mussing with shadows. Shadows are not one dimensional. They are just as complex as the forms themselves. I feel like, "Duh" what did you expect, just to slap some dark on and let it be a shadow? Oh, such ignorance. The form itself is all about complex shadows to define the form. Why should it be any different for the background and supporting forms. It is not. Anything less than to show shadows within shadows is child's play. So, moving on. The single post today will show what I have learned thus far. I may get some more work in today. Getting set up for Thanksgiving quests and stuff like that.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Good afternoon. One post today. Took about five hours. I expected it to be tedious and I was not disappointed. Still have a few problems to work out on it before I go to the next area. I have to correct a problem with the second toe on the left foot of the form. It looks odd, kind of like a cut off toe with another just under it. Will mull that over. Some times what looks good in a photo does not look good in a painting. Well, most of the time that is true.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Good afternoon. Continuing to march down the painting fill in. Human skin is a wonderful reflector of light. Given this condition, different shades and tones of different colors in the surrounding areas were used to do the shading on the form. Darker colors and tones are on the right and lighter and redder tones are on the right. I think it somehow better defines the body within the context of the light sources and different color depths of the background. I am learning much from this painting. And, you know all you have to do is not look at the painting, but you must see it. There is such a difference. There are two posts today. Tired. Shutting down for the day.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:16 pm

testing testing. Could not post yesterday. Looks like the problem has been fixed. Will post updates in a few hours.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:40 am

Good morning. There are five posts today. Still having problems with posting lengthy text. . As I am closing in on the finish and discovering how luminescent the human body is I am beginning to suspect that the unspoken understanding among artists and some critics that an artist really isn't a true artist until the artist does some nude paintings. I always considered that it was because an artist needed to have an understanding of anatomy and facial features. I am beginning to see that I was right only on the rudimentary level. The major element or issue is the ability to reflect adjacent colors into the skin in such a fashion as to make it look natural, enhancing and beautiful without anyone noticing that any consideration was given to the need for creating this color exchange of the background and adjacent objects within the luminosity quality of the skin so as to not make it look as an applied shadow.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:11 pm

Good evening. I spent more time on computer problems than I did the painting. So, there is only one post. It is finished. Enjoy and comment or not, your decision. I am now turning my focus on preparing and being involved with all the Christmas events we have planned. Happy holidays all.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:17 pm

She turned out lovely... probably my favorite of the 3 recent ones you have done, Carl. Colors are appealing... good form... hands and toes look like they have you some challenges, but overall, like it a lot!!
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Next