A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Sisters in Spirit

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Sisters in Spirit

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 am

From time to time a painting jumps in front of the line of other paintings I am working on. And, that's OK with me as I know I will eventually get back to the other paintings and eventually finish them. This is one of those paintings that didn't want to wait until the others were finished.

The idea of doing this painting has been on my mind for awhile now. So, I decided to do it, just because I wanted to see if I could. I think it turned out alright. I have not changed my mind that doing a nude painting for sale is a waste of time, nor have I changed my mind about how wrong it is to use, exploit, or demean a female model in the process of presenting a nude painting. I don’t believe I have done that with this painting, nor will I do that with any other paintings in the future. The next paragraph is provided to explain what I was after in doing this painting. All the process posts are continuous without explaining any of the steps because for this work in progress post I want those who view it will receive the full visual impact of the process without words interfering. Enjoy the view.

I thought about doing this painting sometime in February of this year. I mulled it over for a couple of months before I actually started the painting in April, 2017. I finished it a couple of days ago. The whole process involved thoughts about how to do justice to the models, no funny stuff called artistic license and no presentation that would in any way demean the women who did the poses while at the same time making a work that represented that ethereal quality of the spirit itself. As to the poses, I wanted the models to be and look comfortable on a solid plane that vanished into a background of winsome clouds to support the idea of transference from solid reality to a wistful dreamy distance thereby creating a feeling of depth. I also wanted the forms to not only appear natural and comfortable within the painted environment but to appear that they could step out of the painting any time they chose giving the painting a plurality of existence for the viewer. To do that I had to use one color mixture and tonality combination for the background and another completely different color mixture and tonality combination for the forms. The shadows under the figures unite the figures to the background making the figures seem to belong in the painting. But not quite, as there is no background bleed onto the figures making them stand out and maybe not really a part of the painting. They are ready to step out if they wish. It took me a few months to figure out how to present that juxtaposition of visual realities. I also wanted the figures to stare back at the viewer looking at the viewer with the same curiosity and questioning that the viewer is doing while looking at them. That viewing exchange imbues life into the painting. I think I got the effect I wanted. If I look to long at the painting, it starts looking back at me from anywhere I stand in the room. Nice. I think I got what I wanted to present in this painting. I hope that others get as much enjoyment at looking at "Sisters in Spirit" as much as I do.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Sisters in Spirit

Postby Pooch » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Wow, Carl. Nicely done. Nice pencil work, too.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Thank you.
CarlOwen

Postby EHD » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Wow, Carl. Fleshtones are great!!! The women are beautiful and Real-looking. I love their facial expressions. :D
EHD

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Thank you for checking in Elizabeth. Just wait until you see "Barefoot Dancer". I appreciate your comments.
CarlOwen

Postby ivo55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:17 am

Excellent work and very well presented.
ivo55

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 am

Thanks for stopping by to take a look and for your comments Ivanov.
CarlOwen

Postby ivo55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 pm

You are welcome. It is always nice to see the work of a great artist.
ivo55

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Again thank you. You honor me. I am getting close to finishing my "Barefoot Dancer" painting. I think you will enjoy it.
CarlOwen

Postby ivo55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Great, I cannot wait to see it.
ivo55

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Well I looked at your site and I am totally confused. It appears that you have digitally manipulated your paintings although it looks like only slightly. I am assuming they are original paintings because once downloaded I was able to inspect the canvas tooth and brush strokes. You are a fine artist with good control of form, detail, color and shading. Why are you going down this road of strange fun house mirror image presentations? I could go on and on and on. But, moving on, I suggest you explore different subject matter, only deeper than you have so far. I suggest you take a look at a scene that just catches your eye and really see it. What in that scene caught your eye? You will know because you will constantly look at the element that caught your eye. Build a painting around that. You have a good eye and you have skills that are obviously enhanced by education and training either by academics or self training, it does not matter. All artists ignore my suggestions and that's OK, except one. She followed them, improved her painting and sold it. I understand how ego and arrogance get in the way. I also know that when you get rid of these attitudes you learn far faster than you could possibly believe possible. I think you have the ability to at least take a look at what I am talking about.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I have finished "Barefoot Dancer" Go to Barefoot Dancer in the Works in Progress forum. Hope you enjoy.
CarlOwen