A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Letting go

Come on in to chat about anything at all - or just want to get to know someone a bit better.

Moderator: Moderators

Letting go

Postby sbotu » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:27 am

Ever gone through a struggle with your art and then had a
eakthrough?
Happened to me this morning. Last couple of weeks I have really struggled with the two paintings I started and i think i now know why.
I had a good long look and a think about my earlier works(we talking 20 odd years ago before my hiatus from the art world.)
The paintwork had a freedom to it, I simply just painted - no anxiety, no struggling with trying to be as realistic as possible, it kind of just happened.

So I decided today to just let go and stop being a slave to the source - you know, trying to get the colours exactly right and everything drawn to perfection. I changed
ushes and got down and dirty with the paint - i.e. more pure colour - less messing around with medium etc. After an hour or so I just about finished the painting I was battling with and started another - a really big canvas this time and refused to be intimidated by the size.
I am now so excited by the new painting - can't wait to do some more.
The other one is looking good too - just need to do some finishing touches and it will be done.
sbotu

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Geoff_Anthony » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:49 pm

You are so right, happens a lot. An interesting way to sketch, and help you loosen up, is to sketch without looking at the paper - only look at the subject. This gets varied and interesting results, but don't cheat and try to be as fast as yopu can
Geoff Anthony
Tuggerah, NSW, Australia

I think, therefore I don't know
Geoff_Anthony

hmm - sounds interesting

Postby sbotu » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Will have to try that sometime.
We had an exercise once in drawing class where we had to draw our own faces blindfold - by touch.
Was a bit weird, ended up with strange scribbles on the paper.
After week of just drawing myself, not just this way but with a mirror as well, I ended up with a pretty good likeness not just of how I looked but I captured a mood and personality as well.
We had to finish off with an almost life size full length portrait of ourselves.
This week was tough for me because I hated drawing myself - it was a very difficult exercise and not one I would have ever done on my own.
In fact - art school was pretty tough going and the first three years not very satisfying - there was a lot of what I thought was boring exercises, but in the end I am glad because it made me a better artist. A lot of people found it hard going - of the 60 people who started first year there were about 10 of us left who graduated.
sbotu

Postby nosebleedfingerpaint » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:29 pm

I dunno if this is what youre talking about but I like to "turn off" or "let go" of the art 'fan-girl' side of me, pour a glass of wine, put on some music and totally distract myself with everything BESIDES art. This could be the reason why everything I paint is a ******* mess. But Im so much happier with the distracted messy peices than I am with the ones I sit and really concentrate on. Your mood or enviroment or emotion really has a way translating itself.
nosebleedfingerpaint

Postby nosebleedfingerpaint » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:30 pm

oh my god. Im not allowed to use to eff word here.
nosebleedfingerpaint

Return to Shoot The Breeze