A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

New member here, and I do Mixed Media

Come on in to chat about anything at all - or just want to get to know someone a bit better.

Moderator: Moderators

New member here, and I do Mixed Media

Postby Valerie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:58 pm

Oh my gosh, this is more than a bit scary and intimidating to me. I do have my own art blog at http://valsalteredheartjourney.blogspot.com/, and I get a fair amount of comments, but....all of them are kind and complimentary. (If you take a look, please scroll down to some previous posts, because my latest post isn't one of my best art works.)

I've never belonged to an art community like this one before, and looking at some of the art here makes me cringe in posting my own art. I'm doing this because I'm trying to expand my horizons in my own art, and to find out if what I create is even worthy to be considered art at all. If I sound insecure here, well yea, that would be correct. I wonder, aren't most or at least many artists insecure, at least to some degree? Perhaps not, I'm just throwing that question out there. I just want to know I'm not alone in feeling uncertain regarding my art, and how it might compare to the work of other artists, and how other artists and people might perceive it.

Well, I don't mean to go on and on here, I just feel quite intimidated posting on this site. Like I'm not quite sure I belong here, but as long as I'm allowed to be here, that works for me and I'm grateful.

So I'm going to dare to upload one of my works, and just see what kind of comments and reaction I get. If it's not too painful, I might move on to the next step. Thanks ( I think) for any comments or feedback or whatever.

Valerie
Valerie

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Halleck » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:04 pm

i think that you worry way too much!
Insecurity is all in your head, there's nothing to be secure about anyways. It's art, get over it!
i started posting art up here when i was 16 cuz i was bored.
It's not that big of a deal!
And what do you mean by "painful"? the worst someone can say is "YOU SUCK" and the best someone can say is "GOOD JOB!" hahaha!

have you heard of deviantArt? it's the world's biggest online art community. It's like the myspace of art. It ranges from 12 year old doodles to amazing work by professionals in the illustration industry. It's also international. We are all in this together; you are no alien! you should check it out www.deviantart.com
you can look for me ;)

so yeah... Merry Christmas! :D
Let us unleash what dwells within.
Halleck

Postby Singular » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:49 pm

Valerie, You have nothing to worry about. We are all in the same boat. I am sure you will do just fine.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:28 pm

I second Joe's assurances here, and no, you're not alone, we all feel insecure at one point or another. What I noticed over the last two years, it decreases a lot in intensity as I gain more skill and confidence. Just relax and you'll be fine.
Erika Takacs

Postby xxbreezy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:40 am

Valerie,
Welcome to Singular where you will find many friends who support and guide you if need be. Everyone is welcome here and I don't think I've ever heard someone criticized to the point that they would want to leave. We're all in the same boat ...learning, teaching, and yes....insecure at times. We are a friendly bunch and have a lot of laughs as well as comment on each others everyday life heartaches and jubilations as we;; as the art we post. You have not only found a great ART site but a form of therapy...so to speak...lol!! Enjoy and lighten up....you'll be fine!!!
Linda
xxbreezy

Postby Valerie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks for all the comments here. You are all right, I'm not alone. I also think I'm not the only artist who deals with some insecurity issues. I think I'm in good company there, although some might not want to admit it. Right now I'm reading the book Art and Fear, which is interesting. Anyone else read it?

It's heartening to belong to an art community such as this. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Valerie
Valerie

Postby Jeanette » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:25 pm

Wow, Valerie!
I thought I was insecure! I have a page at Art Calendar, and posted there for the same reasons you are here..to put myself "out there" in the art world..I came here for the same reasons..but I have a BIG prob w/
inging my pics over! I'm so techno-challenged! Well, back to the anxiety..I sold my second painting done since I've been back to Art in 20+ years....How's that for an ego-boost? I'd done 2 paintings that weekend, the first, my Hub claimed.....The second, a friend saw, and wants! I'm onto a third, the mid of January, for a Mag cover contest..
I suppose what I'm saying is...GO FOR IT!!! You may be pleasantly surprised!
Good Luck, and Happy Painting!
Jeanette
Jeanette

Postby Valerie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks for your comment Jeanette, and kudos to you for selling your painting. That's wonderful. I hope you can post some of your art soon.

Valerie
Valerie

Postby Jeanette » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi Valerie!
Well. I figured it out!
My works are in my gallery!
Come and visit if you wish!
Jeanette
Jeanette

Postby Harmonygirl » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Valerie.....

We are a kind group of people. No need to be worried. I too was worried when I first started posting. Although I don't have that many images in my gallery.... this site has given me the confidence to pursue my dream of teaching art... and that I am worthy to do so....
This site will help with winning over your fears....
we are here to help

shan
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl

Postby DrSirDrawsALot » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Your work is art. Beautiful art. I loved looking through your blogspot.

Don't cringe. My mediocre *** posted work on here before. No need for you to cringe at all. Be confident.

We don't bite. We nice.
-Crystal J.
DrSirDrawsALot

Postby Valerie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Thank you so much for looking and for your kind compliment Crystal. I appreciate it.

Valerie
Valerie