A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

5 of 12 - Vanguard

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

5 of 12 - Vanguard

Postby pehiatt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:11 pm

The concept and exhibit proposal have been approved. Now a lot of work

Vanguard
Oil on canvas, 48 X 60 inches

Larger image here: http://sites.google.com/site/patrickhiattsecondgenesis/vanguard

I had a very difficult time photographing this painting

Problems solved

First it is large 4 X 5 feet so I rotated it to the vertical and had better light control. I use two cheep off camera flash units with diffusion um
ellas.

Finding center parallax is always problem however I read about a trick and it worked the first time. Hang a small mirror in the center of the painting or on the photo stand or wall where the center will be. Using a tripod, adjust the camera (up-down, etc.) until you see the camera lens in the mirror. Waa Laa you are centered.

Focus, Use the highest f stop possible (greater depth of field.) Make several shots refocusing each time. small fluctuation produces differences. Select the sharpest.

Use photo software to crop, sharpen, re-size and adjust color.
Attachments
ASC_Vanguard5g.jpg
ASC_Vanguard5g.jpg (154.53 KiB)
Last edited by pehiatt on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
pehiatt

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Wow! Congratulations on the approval.
Can't wait for the storyline for this one. They look like some kind of a freedom fighters/rebels. I love the angry dog, very real, scary.
Erika Takacs

Postby Juliep » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:37 am

Congratulations. Hope you'll be posting your project.
Juliep

Story line

Postby pehiatt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:18 pm

With the rise of city states power will be in the hands of those trained in the art of war and just as in ancient Sparta bands of untethered youth terrorize a burning landscape enforcing conformity.
pehiatt

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:46 pm

The gang leader seems more sad than bloodthirsty. Still admiring the dog, wow, great job, did you use reference photos or just observation and memory?
Erika Takacs

Drawing from memory

Postby pehiatt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:08 pm

I occasionally use some reference material but put it down and draw from memory. I used a photo of a dog scull for the totem and an other formarkings on the dog. This is the same pooch I draw over and over again as are the urchins. I try to not use photographs that much, mostly I study master works. Trying to copy a photograph always produces poor results.

Interesting that you mention observation. Wherever I go I watch everything and everyone. I love faces and expressions and interaction.

When I told my wife I was going to include a mean snarling dog she laughed. "Sure... You cant draw mean and all of your scary beast are in a way lovable."

I am still working on mean and scary.

For those that use photographs... Study the picture learn the form and structure then PLEASE put it away and draw from your own mind. Your work will improve greatly.

Check out the figures behind the Michelangelo's sibyls on the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

I find his background figures fascinating.
pehiatt

Postby krysta11 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:38 am

Your works pehiatt are so wonderful, that I still have to grow up to comment on your art. I love it!
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby kcortese » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:24 pm

pehiatt

First of all, congratulations!

Your astonishing masterful work is always a pleasure to view, and I want to thank you for sharing with us. I looked at this painting for several minutes, there is so much to see.

I use reference material, and do like you suggested. Study it and put it aside. And if I get stuck, I'll look at it again.

I never copy a picture, that's what they made copy machines for.

Karen
kcortese

Return to Just Showing