A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Yeshua upon the Tree: A Terrible Beauty, an Immense Paradox

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Yeshua upon the Tree: A Terrible Beauty, an Immense Paradox

Postby horseman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:27 pm

I pause and recognize that this art may disturb many. How the cross can be a thing of beauty is strange to those that are not its adherents. Those of the Faith view the suffering and death as Divine love and mercy for all humanity. Indeed, it is a terrible beauty, an immense paradox.

For the most part, in this country we tend to make Christ look like he was a man out of European culture, or sometimes African American. I like the idea of Christ looking more like a Jewish man, side locks of hair and all. I did it that way because I have never seen him depicted on a cross in a manner that authentically indicates that he was a Jew. His hair has the hint of "ruddy" so as to suggest that he is from the line of King David, like the scriptures tell that Messiah would be.

http://www.thouforsaken.blogspot.com/

My pencil drawing and some details about the art are at the site, as well as some ideas behind the art and things that I needed to get off my chest. If you are not into talk just check out the art. The art encapsulates the written ideas that are there anyway. My art is a mixed media sandwich made up of many, many layers of digital painting with my pencil drawing being the meat in the middle.

Torches and/or bonfires burn below the cross - because the sky went dark. What about the sparks, keep them or not?

Peace.
horseman

Postby Satanta » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:25 am

I think it is a pretty good depictions. The *only* detail I would consider incorrect is the support of the arms to the cross-member, perhaps rope or binding?

As far as the 'traditional' ghostly waif, white guy depicted as Christ it would be impossible-Jewish and possibly even black and frankly Christ having been a carpenter and fisherman all of his life, certainly would not be a waif.

Not neccesarily a huge, bulking hulk but by no means a sickly, frail ghost they tend to put.

So beyond all of that it's is a fine image. Perhaps some day we can discuss the actual placement of Golgotha and the tree of crucifixion. :D
Mankinds first localized human disaster area

http://www.chronart.com
Satanta

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:26 pm

This is a very intense image. And ofcourse we here 2000 years after the fact. Have no way of knowing all the details of his life and death. Everything I,ve read about him tells me he was a Jew. I think for most people who were put on the cross. Rope was use. I think for him. Nails were made. And I think he was nude. We can all debate a wide range of things about this man. But I think we can all agree of the impact his life and death had on mankind.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:42 pm

For me, I don't care how is Christ depicted, black, white, Jewish---it's not that important. Is the work good? That's what's important. Your work is powerful and provocative. His expression does not show pain, only a mix of defiance and accusation. Maybe you wanted to depart entirely from the traditional. I think some subtle sign of physical-mental pain would benefit the work. Neverthless, it's an outstanding piece, and the drawing is excellent as well. The sparks are a bit distracting.
Erika Takacs

Postby krysta11 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:05 pm

Erika Takacs wrote:For me, I don't care how is Christ depicted, black, white, Jewish---it's not that important. Is the work good? That's what's important. Your work is powerful and provocative. His expression does not show pain, only a mix of defiance and accusation. Maybe you wanted to depart entirely from the traditional. I think some subtle sign of physical-mental pain would benefit the work. Neverthless, it's an outstanding piece, and the drawing is excellent as well. The sparks are a bit distracting.

This is an excellent drawing!!!

You are showing enormous power of Jesus.
I absolutely agree with Erika's post.
The only thing. The right arm is bended. It looks like Jesus tries to lift himself.
For me it doesn't really matter. I love what you have done here.
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Yeshua upon the Tree - painted pencil drawing of Jesus

Postby horseman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone. Here is a version that is different from the painted one at the blogspot. No sparks here. Made the sky gray, attempting to give more depth. But with the cooler colors I seem to have lost that barren feel to the piece... I don't know? Artistic feedback would be appreciated.

www.thouforsaken.blogspot.com
horseman

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Why not keep both versions?
Erika Takacs

Postby weirdpuckett » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:28 am

This is extremely powerful . . . and I thank Jesus for it! He was perfect-no sin at all . . .He died for our sin-so that we could receive imortality, though we don't deserve it . . .THATS what I think . . .
weirdpuckett