A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

My artwork

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kcortese » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:35 pm

I know what you mean about shipping, it can be a real nightmare. I know shipping overseas is VERY expensive. And I have also waited weeks for supplies to arrive, meanwhile the project you're trying to finish sits there driving you even more crazy.

I was going to ship a piece overseas that wasn't heavy or large. United States Postal Service wanted $35.00 flat rate, I sent it regular mail which was only $11.00. Quite a price difference. I didn't check on UPS because there is no shipping station where I live.

I live in a very rural area in Pennsylvania, no art supply stores here. If I need supplies I have to drive 150 miles to Pittsburgh to get them, or order them online. My family still lives there, and when I visit, I don't pick up what I need. I get so caught up in my visit with them that it's the furthest thing from my mind. Next time I go in, I WILL get supplies.

Jamestown, NY is close to me, they have a SO-CALLED art supply store. When I called them for colored canson paper (acid free) and spray fixative, the clerk who answered didn't know what I was talking about. She said they only had sketch books and no spray paint. Not a REAL art supply store, it really bummed me out.

Sorry to hear about your past week, maybe this week will be better for you. Enough babbling, bye.

Karen
kcortese

Gallery: View Gallery

Lu's Forest

Postby Jeanette » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks, Karen!
Yeah, I suppose we all have shipping/receiving troubles now and again!
I never thought about being so removed from art stores in a rural area, but it's just as bad here! Orlando has NO true artist supply stores any more..craft stores, where I can buy some stuff, have to go online to get surfaces to paint on...Crazy, eh? They just shut down the stores, gone.....
Are there no Artists in Orlando? Last I checked there are.....So sad...
So we go online...
And in my case wait forever for the shipment......Pay shipping.....
When at the Art store we could feel the surface we planned on using, check the canvas for the strength of it's frame, the tooth...
We could feel the paper to determine if it is suitable for our work...
And buy NOW!
Instant gratification..Paint now! Draw now!
Off my box...
Jeanette
Jeanette

Postby kcortese » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:12 am

I know what you mean about checking canvas strenght and tooth, it's nice to be able to see and thouch before buying. Tooth in paper is very important with pastels, if poor tooth, you can't apply too many layers because it fills up fast.

Never easy is it?

Karen
kcortese

Postby Harmonygirl » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:26 am

Oh, I feel for you. I need to touch and feel as well. Its tough ordering because there is no way around paying the ordering, the problems I have here in canada is that if you order things over the border, you get stuck with paying for customs as well. You have to pay taxes on the prices..... my S.O. and i ordered something that was 300 and it cost a extra 94.00 when the order arrived.... right there surprise, you owe customs..... or you don't get your package.
Art supplies, I am lucky we have a great art store, it is a drive away, but it is still there.
Curry's (art store... ) I appreciate you...
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl

Postby kcortese » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:39 am

I have a website where I ship to Canada, and yes, it IS very expensive. I feel sorry for you with that. It's also the waiting for your order to arrive.
kcortese

Postby Jeanette » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi Shannon!
Well, I suppose I don't feel SO bad, not paying customs..ran into that prob. shipping a painting to UK..Plus the UPS shipping charge! Forget them!
Happy you have an Art store hear enough that it hopefully doesn't cost 94.00 in gas! :)
Stay warm!
Jeanette
Jeanette

Hi All!

Postby Jeanette » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:49 pm

I can't see my 2 paintings in my gallery! Can anyone else??
I also have been trying to
ing them back over, if they did disappear, bit I had meanwhile upgraded Picasa to Picasa 3...Soo confused..
Thanks for any reply!
Jeanette
Jeanette

Re: Hi All!

Postby DrSirDrawsALot » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Jeanette wrote:I can't see my 2 paintings in my gallery! Can anyone else??
I also have been trying to
ing them back over, if they did disappear, bit I had meanwhile upgraded Picasa to Picasa 3...Soo confused..
Thanks for any reply!
Jeanette

I can't see anything either.
-Crystal J.
DrSirDrawsALot

Previous