A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

"Apache Innocence"

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

"Apache Innocence"

Postby lorenzo » Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 pm

This is the 4th painting in the Apache Woman series.
Attachments
APACHEINNOCENCE_WEB.JPG
APACHEINNOCENCE_WEB.JPG (103.92 KiB)
lorenzo

Postby xxbreezy » Wed May 21, 2008 3:36 pm

I just can't believe your talent Lorenzo..you and your work are awesome!!
xxbreezy

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby lorenzo » Wed May 21, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks. This painting is a tribute to Gouyen, meaning "Wise Woman," who was born into Chief Victorio's Warm Springs Apache band around 1880.
One day, while the group was resting at Tres Castillos, New Mexico, they were attacked by Mexicans. When the offensive was over, seventy-eight Apaches had been murdered and only seventeen had escaped, including Gouyen and her young son, Kaywaykla. Her baby daughter, however, was murdered and shortly afterwards her husband was killed in a Comanche raid while visiting the Mescalero Apaches. A legendary tale is told about the revenge of Gouyen. One night following her husband's death, she left the camp carrying a water jug, dried meat, and a bone awl and sinew for repairing her moccasins. She was looking for the Comanche chief who had killed her husband. Finally, she found him engaged in a victory dance around a bonfire with her husband's scalp hanging from his belt. Gouyen slipped into the circle of dancers, seduced the chief, and killed him with his own knife, avenging her husband's death. Then she scalped him, cut his beaded
eechcloth from his body and tore off his moccasins. She then returned to her camp to present her in-laws with the Comanche leader's scalp, his clothing and his footwear. Gouyen remarried an Apache warrior named Ka-ya-ten-nae. Later, she and her family were taken prisoners by the U.S. Army and held at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, where she died.
The painting depicts Gouyen dressed in a regular camp dress worn in the days when it was crucial to keep a low profile as not to attract attention. She did her heroic vengeful deed to a known chief but must maintain dignity in humility due to certain repercussions. Nothing in her expression alerts the viewer that the loss of lives of those close to her has taken place in her life. For the Apaches, signs of weakness were the mark of instability, nor did they boast of their triumphant actions but took it to heart that it was part of the way of life. The sunrays emitting from behind the rocks translates a new day for her and her blanket the sense of security she feels among her people in the rugged terrain of her homeland, the Southwest.
lorenzo

Postby BAReam » Wed May 21, 2008 9:31 pm

Lorenzo

Again wonderful work and the supporting narrative makes it all the more meaningful. Well done!

Question: does the wrap covering her arms/hands and falling down her side have any special significance?

all the best...
uce
BAReam

Postby lorenzo » Wed May 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Bruce,
No, none at all. It just happened to fall that way but it does add to the pose and causes one to be directed to the detail of the rock and moccasins, turned out very nice.
lorenzo

Postby Singular » Wed May 21, 2008 9:56 pm

What an amazing painting. Hey Lorenzo, why don't you upload your images to our gallery? I would love to showcase you, but I can not because you have no work up on the gallery. Create your own albums so that you can categorize them.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby lorenzo » Wed May 21, 2008 10:27 pm

how do i do that? through the user gallery?
lorenzo

Postby xxbreezy » Thu May 22, 2008 7:28 am

Love the descriptive narrative and as I said before....you are an awesome painter and your paintings are just beautiful!!!
xxbreezy

Postby lorenzo » Mon May 26, 2008 11:15 pm

xx
eezy,
Thank you very much. i sold this painting today at the art show in Prescott, AZ
lorenzo

Postby xxbreezy » Tue May 27, 2008 7:00 am

Congratulations!!! That does not surprise me at all. You should have NO trouble selling your artwork. How long have you been painting and have you ever had schooling in this field? Just curious ...some of us here, like myself, are self taught and have learned alot of other posters on Singular. But you have a such a love for this and wondered what helped you to get you this far? Just awesome work!!
xxbreezy

Postby beautifulbay » Tue May 27, 2008 7:11 am

WOW ---this is gorgeous
DRAW~ even if no one else understands why~ PAINT~ even if no one believes in you
CREATE~ Lose yourself in your own world ~ Just do it because you love it!
beautifulbay

Postby lorenzo » Tue May 27, 2008 8:35 am

xx
eezy,
Thank you very much. I began drawing when I was a child, nothing serious of course just doodling every now and then. I would participate in building comic books with one person selecting a portion to work on, etc. that was in grade school. My next experience was through Junior High where the Art Class was my home room, which kept me in check to continue in the art environment. I enrolled at the Institute of American Indian Arts in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1976 and received my Associate of Fine Art degree two years later. I continued my education at the Atlanta College of Art in Atlanta Georgia but that stint didnt last long, only four months. My ability/stubborness and their teaching clashed with some of my teachers so I withdrew from the school, thank God. But I put up my
ishes when I got married and devoted my all to the vow for about ten years. I filed for divorce which took me through a hell that I wish on no one. Two years through two attorneys who made twenty-one appearences before the court with four different judges to plead my cause. During this time I started painting again to keep my sanity and I have been painting ever since. It was good therapy, I'm back!
lorenzo

Postby lorenzo » Tue May 27, 2008 8:39 am

beautifulbay,
Thank you very much. I notice you love animals, what are your thoughts on "Heart to Heart at Ash Creek"?
lorenzo

Postby beautifulbay » Tue May 27, 2008 9:45 am

---I posted to you about this on that thread :) thanks for pointing it out, very nice
DRAW~ even if no one else understands why~ PAINT~ even if no one believes in you
CREATE~ Lose yourself in your own world ~ Just do it because you love it!
beautifulbay

Return to Just Showing