A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Dont let The Sun Step over You

If you just want to show your work without getting critiqued, come on in. We would love to see and perhaps get into a nice discussion about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Dont let The Sun Step over You

Postby lorenzo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:52 pm

This oil painting is 3'x6'. The title is an old Apache Indian proverb and is meant to wake with the dawning, to be agile and not slothful.
Attachments
dontletthesunstepWeb.jpg
dontletthesunstepWeb.jpg (115.33 KiB)
lorenzo

Postby Singular » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:54 pm

That is a very beautiful painting. Thanks for sharing. You are very skilled.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:40 am

Absolutely beautiful!!

:) Brightest Blessings
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Postby dallen88 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:18 am

Great image! I love all of the detail and the use of color.
DAViD M. ALLeN
david-m-allen.net
dallen88

Thank you

Postby lorenzo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks Joe, Jennifer & David. I strive to paint that perfect painting, but is it ever elusive :roll:
lorenzo

Postby the_pm » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:25 am

Ditto on the use of color and the imagery in general. It is a beautiful painting!

Something I noticed: I've seen this painting before on your site, but this time, when I glanced at it for a second, the rock upon which your subject is sitting looked like the head of a sleeping lion cub. The point on the upper-left of the rock looked like an ear, and you're looking down onto the top of the head/
ow. The taper down near her feet looked to me like eye sockets and a nose. She appears to be sitting on the nape of his neck/upper chest.

It just struck me that way, and I thought I'd comment :)
the_pm

thanks

Postby lorenzo » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:19 am

the_pm.
Thanks. You've got me looking now.
lorenzo

Postby rips10 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:45 am

Hi I am Rips10.Your work is perfect as a work but as an art work I think it needs some own language.Your painting has becom a copy of a photograph.What is the girl thinking of is she enjoying the sight or she is sad?you must put some expression by creating some effect with
ush.Backgruon is not matching with the face of the girl.Don't take it otherway plz.
rips10

thx

Postby lorenzo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:33 pm

Rips10
Thank you for the critique. I like the fact that you interpret the painting as a photograph because that is exactly what my intentions were, realistic rendering. As for the expression on the girl, I basically leave that up to the viewer since that is what all paintings are supposed to be about, a private interpretation to each individual. If the artwork didnt give a feeling to you then it wasnt meant for you, that simple, but it speaks volumes to others, ask the 19 thousand plus visitors that have viewed the painting at my website. Thanks again. :D
lorenzo

Postby rips10 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:07 am

You wellcom Lorenjo
I don't mean that you painting is not a fine painting.It is an very nice and skillfull painting but it could be more atrractive with more impression.I didn't judge it but try to give a suggestion if you like it you can try with it.Maybe with it, 19 would be 1900.Best of luckRippy :)
rips10

Postby DLKeur » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:32 am

Nice work. Very beautiful. Faint SW stylization is apparent, but not as much as some Navaho, Apache, and Comanche artwork I collect. Very commercially saleable if you live in the SW near the Grand Canyon tourist spots. Excellent technique. You could put a bit more "you" in it, but it's very well done as a depiction.
DLKeur

Postby lorenzo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:06 am

Rips10,
I dont mean to malign but, have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? The spectacular everchanging array of colors is not something you can capture even through a camera lens, It's hard to describe but it clings to you forever and somehow as an artist , you try to duplicate what you envisioned, maybe you only touch the surface but i doubt it, so you merely impress on canvas, a bit of the awe of such a great place that God created, and the painting is as close as I could come. By the way: You mentioned the expressionless face on the model? The model has a bad scar on the right side of her face and neck from a childhood accident. From a personal standpoint, an emotional expression couldnt have added anymore to the the story behind it. Maybe I was thinking more Native when I started the painting beginning with the title, but the essence of the painting is merely about a small moment in time being a portion of a persons day in a person's life no matter how small the fleeting moment, yet all are connected to the earth playing a part in their position. And that moment in time depicted in the painting is the frontier years when there was contact but no hostilities only rumors of horror but not in this area, not yet. she has no clue that her people's lives will forever be changed to only be visited from time to time in festivities and reenactments or ceremonies.
lorenzo

Postby rips10 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:29 pm

Thats what I meant the horror!The landscpape is proudly showing its beauty in front of a suffered one?You might be right to yourself.I tried to tell that the face of the girl is not matching with the landscape.I am not an expert but I felt that .I like Impressionism to realism.We can take it by photograph but feelings and unspoken things it must be created with smbols or colors.(to me)But I am shure about one thing that your painting is beautyfull.Best regards Rippy
rips10

Postby Irina » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:32 pm

Just WOW!
Irina

thx

Postby lorenzo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Irina,
Thank you very much. That is certainly what I like to hear, enough said. :D
lorenzo

absolutely beautiful!

Postby Halleck » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:27 pm

I love this so much
Let us unleash what dwells within.
Halleck

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:33 pm

I'll second that Wow!
BTW, where is that picture of your Mom?
I thought you were going to enter it into Showdown.
E
ehoeveler

Postby lorenzo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:35 pm

ehoeveler,
Thanks,
I tried to send it but it kept getting rejected, I think I didnt have the size requirement to a tee. O well, maybe next time.
lorenzo

Postby lorenzo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:39 pm

Halleck,
Thank you so much. I will be loading up two new works , i hope tomorrow if I have time, but you know an artist' schedule; a shade here and a hue there, before you know it , it's time for bed.
lorenzo

The Painting

Postby Carmelo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:53 am

A Truely impressive piece of work. With the size, I should think standing before it would be quite a sensation.
Carmelo