A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Creating Texture in Acrylic Paintings

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Creating Texture in Acrylic Paintings

Postby artfont » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:05 pm

I have been experimenting on creating texture in my acrylic painting, I tried one from an art supply store and it was very expensive and decided I wanted to try to make my own naturally. I tried adding sand to my acrylic and applying with a palette knife. Can anyone give me suggestions or applications they have tried to achieve texture in their own art pieces. Thanks very much!
artfont

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Creating Texture in Acrylic Paintings

Postby Singular » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Acrylic paint is much easier to apply texture than oils in my opinion, because of its quick drying behavior. Palette knives are good, but you can achieve good results with just a brush very easily. Just apply several layers and allow to dry in between application. You can achieve different texture results by applying the layers at different intervals of dryness. The texture will be different if the previous layers are 75% dry as opposed to 100% dry.

You can also glaze or use different tools to apply the paint like tissue or knives, etc. Just be creative and experiment. you will have fun.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby artfont » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Thank-you Joe, very much appreciated, I submitted some new paintings the other day, but none were rated, could you or shall I say would you lol. Thanks so much, will post this one I am working on when its done, will be the first painting I have experimented on using texture with acrylic and first done mainly with a palette knife. Thanks, have a great evening!
artfont

Postby Singular » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:35 am

Hi Judy,

You have some really nice paintings in your gallery. If you want better feedback on your work, I recommend you post a specific image on the critique forums.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby artfont » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:45 am

Thank-you for the compliment Joe. I did put three of them on the forum ! Have a great day!
artfont

Postby Artsupplies » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:28 am

I love to do experiments in my work. I am new to Acrylic paint and have some problem due to its quick dry feature.Use of sand, salt etc. are good, natural and inexpensive supplies to provide unique texture.
Artsupplies

Postby MastersArtAcademy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi,
I use sometime papermache or paper towels to create a texture. Here is my video where I use a paper towel to create a center for the flower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S95_3XCNkI
Happy Painting!!!
MastersArtAcademy

Postby artfont » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Thank-you , I enjoyed watching your video on that!
artfont

Postby RandyTerrell » Thu May 26, 2016 2:01 am

Acrylic painting and psychedelic art, these are one of my favourite artworks. Paintings of people like Jimi Hendrix are an example of a true artist and artwork. I have also seen your video and loved it. I am collecting the information about these artworks by visiting many article sources of different sites. Please suggest me some more source for the reference.
RandyTerrell

Postby CarlOwen » Thu May 26, 2016 6:00 pm

Good afternoon Judy. Just now checked on this topic. I suggest powdered marble. It is that stuff you put into gesso to stiffen it up. It actually stiffens any type of paint. The stiffer the paint, the more the texture. But, you already know that part. I get my powdered marble in bags from Artisian here in Santa Fe. But, any online art supply store carries the product. I get the impression that you are looking for a smooth build up that creates a subtle three dimensional surface within your painting. You may be pleasantly surprised when you try it.
CarlOwen

Postby artfont » Sat May 28, 2016 11:39 am

Thank-you Carl , I will have to try that for texture, I did one painting, I used sand, small stones, I also used drywall compound and sanded it into to look like wood planks on my boat in the painting and attached real rope to the boat. I like the way it turned out, the boat look 3 d and the front of the boat stands out.
artfont

Postby jacquie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:36 am

I will sometimes use sandpaper or steel wool to add texture. So after the paint dries you can sand over an area to pull some paint off. I've also seen people (and I've played around with this) of using bubble wrap to press on the wet paint to give some texture/add design element of sorts. Have fun!
jacquie