A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Are there other artists in your family/extended family?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Are there other artists in your family/extended family?

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:32 am

Hi All,

I find it interesting that a lot of artists have been exposed to art early through a family member or a close relative.

1. I'd like to know if that's the case with you.
2. If yes, did it make an impact on you becoming an artist?

Hope everyone who reads this takes a few minutes to answer.

In my case my uncle is a wood carver. I spent many summer vacations as a child hanging around his studio. He's a very talented self-taught artist who made a name for himself. I remember one time I carved a bust out of wood with a knife but found it physically challenging and gave up on it. Must have been around 8-10 years old. Back then I thought sculpting was all about wood or stone, too physically demanding for a girl. He did a lot of monumental work and I just liked watching him. I discovered clay much, much later as an adult and I was hooked.

Can't wait to hear your stories! :)

Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:32 pm

No artist in my family that I know of. But have never met or know anything about my father,s side. Come to think of it, don,t know much about my mother,s side either. There,s sure to be an artist in every family somewhere. And I think wood carving is a very good thing for childern to try to do. Now my grandmother did have a way with planting flowers. So that they would grow with differnt colors in a certain way. She had a way with colors. Making colorful rugs and guilts.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DLKeur » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:04 pm

haha. Laughing.

Mom - artist of merit -- portraits
Dad and Great Aunt -- musicians, GA a concert pianist

I was encouraged. I was never constrained. And, from the beginning, I was sent to the very best schools that could be found and didn't use mental straight-jackets. I was also tutored...not because I needed it, but because I was so hungry for WHY. Everything was so very interesting, from the tiniest microbe to the biggest storms. (Still is.) *grin* You know those kind of kids -- the ones who drive you nuts? Yep. That was me! And, as you see, I never, ever grew up. 8)
DLKeur

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:07 pm

Yes, John, sounds like your grandmother definitely had artistic talent. Too bad you don't know on your father's side. This reminds me, my grandpa took up woodcarving at age 75 and he made some very nice folk art. E
Erika Takacs

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:17 pm

Ha-ha, DL, I can picture you as a child, I don't mind at all those type of kids. Makes me wonder whether mine got any. He hates to draw anything else than road signs, car interiors and such. When I work on an artpiece, he'll peek casually over and say, "Mom, I like it",and then "drive" away with his pretend coat hanger wheel. :) But he sees shapes everywhere: up in the sky, on water, in food etc. Just like I used to and still do. That could be a sign. E
Erika Takacs

Postby DLKeur » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:43 pm

I bet he's got a high IQ, and I bet he has a penchant for math and Euclidean geometry, too, right? He'll probably be good at lots of things. I am guessing you are, too.
DLKeur

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:25 pm

Come on, guys. Anybody else willing to respond? A few words at least? I'm really interested in this. Thanks, Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Singular » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:46 pm

I can't think of anyone in my family with an artistic background. The only person that is close is my mother. She is an exceptional needlepointer. She would hand make large alter and table cloths with amazing detail. Other than mom, no one else comes to mind.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:56 am

Definitely from my Mom. She majored Art History in College, did the
trip to Florence and Rome thing and ended up an art critic for the Miami Herald back in the 70s'. During the seventies she
ought home some
Wolf Kahns and a Lee Krassner. Another fave she
ought home was a huge Orchid done in Oils by Lowell Nesbitt, a Georgia Artist.
I was influenced by the wildness and color of all those paintings.
E
ehoeveler

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:13 am

Joe, I would consider your mom's needlepoint artistic talent. So how and when did you get interested in arts?

Elizabeth, my mom also loved arts,and liked to collect art, although she did nothing artistic herself. I remember as a young child admiring the paintings we had hanging on the walls. Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Singular » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:28 am

Erika Takacs wrote:Joe, I would consider your mom's needlepoint artistic talent. So how and when did you get interested in arts?

Well, my freshman year in highschool, I had the option to take a fine art course instead of typing. I applied and was accepted. We all gathered in a room and drew the still life that was presented. The art teacher then looked at our work individually and selected us accordingly. I had no idea what I was doing, but I guess I did something right. I wasn't really ever good because I didn't get it. Anyone can draw well with proper instruction, but I didn't have an idea of what I wanted to accomplish with my art. I had no particular style or anything. Then my junior year, I started to develop a unique style using a pallette knife. The paintings were very architectural and the colors were vi
ant and full of contrast. So that is how I painted for the rest of my highschool years. Even my realistic drawings or paintings had elements of this incorporated.

When I hit college, I didn't really do much until my second year. It was more for fun then because I was too busy with my course load and work. Then all of a sudden, it hit me. I got an idea for a painting and laid in bed thinking about it every night. Everything made sense from that point on. I "got it". ... and here we are 14 years later.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28

Art Interest

Postby Phylis » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:52 pm

From the time I was young I was always looking at paintings and prints wondering how they did it. My first recollection is in 2nd grade seeing a print of an rose. It fasinated me. The curve of the stem and softeness of the pedels. It's like magic. I still am amazed at how things are done.
My mother's side of the family had some artist, but I was never exposed to them. I didn't no anyone in my family who thought this way. My son has no interest his into sports. :)
Phylis

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:17 pm

Typing versus art - I like that, Joe. :lol: Thanks for the interesting insight.
Phylis, thanks for sharing also. It's amazing that you remember the details of your revelation so vividly!

Here comes the next question for everyone:

Did you feel different from everyone else around you?

I sure did...Ok, maybe this is a too private question, I'll leave it up to you guys. :) Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby mandy45503 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:47 pm

My biological father is a master carpenter with works in many area businesses and at least one museum (I think), and my great-grandfather on my mother's side was a great humanitarian and a painter and a muralist, and my grandmother on my father's side is an exceptional writer. I have a decade of letters from her, all in a photo album for safekeeping. She always illustrated her letters with stamps that she hand colored and bemoaned the fact that she wasn't an artist...lol. Her letters are absolutely beautiful, an art form in and of themselves.
Art is the unique signature you leave on the world.
mandy45503

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:42 pm

Mandy, that's a lot of creative people on both sides of your family. Cool!
Erika Takacs

Postby mandy45503 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:46 pm

I think so, too! But it can be a little hard to live up to expectations with that kind of family. I always wonder if I would have taken this path if I had never been so "supported". Don't get me wrong, though..I absolutely adore what I do!
Art is the unique signature you leave on the world.
mandy45503

Influences

Postby Carmelo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:59 pm

My first real inspiration came from my uncle Joe who was a proffesioal art photographer, however, it was a small sculpture of King Kong he did from a bar of soap when he was younger that caused me to take notice of his drawings, paintings and tedious wood ship models. I would ask him questions and he answered them well. I began to draw in grade school a series of little worlds I would visit in my mind to escape the reality of the class room I felt alien in. My father was a skilled portrait in pencil artist though he never did it professionally. But it was my Grandfather Carmelo who was the ultimate influence on my desire to be an artist. He was an avid photographer and lover of nature. His uncle Salvatore sculpted the Cuban statue of liberty.
Carmelo

RELATIVES

Postby SPARTAN » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:45 am

MY GRANDFATHER USED TO PAINT SHIPS,I MEAN ACTUALLY PAINT SHIPS.
HE USED TO WORK ON THE DOCKS IN LIVERPOOL A PLACE CALLED CAMEL LAIRDS AND HE WOULD PAINT THE HULLS IN RED LEAD FIRST AND THEN PAINT OVER WITH FINAL COLOUR USUALLY BLACK OR BATTLESHIP GREY.
WHEN HE RETIRED HE PAINTED SHIPS ON CANVAS THEY WERE AWSOME
THE DETAIL WAS INCREDIBLE. ALL THE OLD GREATS-MAURATANIA ,LUCITANIA ,TITANIC MANY OF HIS PAINTIGS ARE SCATTERED AROUND THE OLD PUBS OF LIVERPOOL DOWN ON THE WATER FRONT.
UNFORTUNATELY HE DIED A FEW YEARS AGO,WE WERE NEVER CLOSE(HE WAS A GRUMPY OLD SOD!) BUT HIS PAINTINGS MUST OF INSPIRED ME SOMEHOW.ONE OF MT FIRST PAINTINGS WAS OF THE LINER QEII WHEN IT DOCKED IN LIVERPOOL BAY.

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:37 am

Carmelo and Spartan, thanks for sharing. Carmelo, is there a photo somewhere of that statue? Spartan, do you have any pics of your grandfather's paintings?
Erika Takacs

RELATIVES

Postby SPARTAN » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:05 pm

MY BROTHER HAS ONE OF HIS PAINTINGS I'LL TRY AND GET A PHOTO TO POST :lol:
SPARTAN

Next