A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Standard Film vs. Digital

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Standard Film vs. Digital

Postby drawn2art » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:07 am

Would just like to start a discussion on what type of camera you prefer for taking your photos. For myself I do prefer the standard SLR film camera, but I have found more and more people switching to the digital format of camera. I am wondering if the standard film camera will eventually become obsolete? Should I be thinking of switching to digital myself? What are the pros and cons for both?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this issue :D
drawn2art

Postby Singular » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:39 am

Well I am no expert photographer by any means, but in my humble opinion, there is no substitute for the quality of film. I personally use digital because they are much more convenient and technology is improving so much that the quality of digital images is just about as good as film. I also like the idea that digital images are easily manipulated. I also think that film we be obsolete. Actually, I think that Kodak has already discontinued most of their film cameras in favor of digital.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby drawn2art » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:50 am

Thanks for the reply Singular :)
I too am no professional photographer and use my camera for taking photos for references I use in my art. I do like the film but don't like the cost of developing and the wait for the photos. I think film camera's will be fazed out over time as the digital ones get more advanced and hopefully cheaper to buy.
drawn2art

Postby Sean » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:06 am

I used to have big problems with this digital takeover that's happening. Now, I'm not so horrified by it. To me it's just another way of working. I don't think film will ever be obsolete (or at least not for a long time) because film does things that digital just can't. Likewise, digital does things that film just can't. They are like different dialects of the same visual language.

Digital prints look slick and polished, but they never have the comforting feel of presence that film has. They're hyper-real, which sometimes takes away from the content of the photo. But sometimes, the polished look comes in handy for the photo's sake. I'm thinking of the photography work of Anthony Goicolea when I say that. In fact, Goicolea's photographic work could almost be a metaphor for digital photographs. He makes replicas of himself to play out the scenes in his photographs, and exact reproducability is certainly the par excellance of the digital age.
Buy the boat!
Sean

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:01 pm

You know... I still use both, and for the exact reasons described in Sean's and drawn2art's last replies.. some for reference, some for feel..

So, as I think they both have their usefullness I can't say which I prefer, or even if I prefer one OVER another. I think its really a personal preference as to how it will work with an artists medium, how they wish to convey the image, etc.

I have both a Manual (film) Minolta with different lenses etc., and I have a Fuji Finepix (digital). If you haven't gotten a digital, and you are planning on getting one... get one with high Optical Zoom (Not just Digital Zoom), your shots will be cleaner and easier to resize and/or modify.

Brightest Blessings.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Parabola » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:59 am

film will always be better quality than digital because digital has to save in pixels. To combat this, digital cameras are getting larger and larger resolutions. I prefer digital over film mainly because it's more practical for me.
Parabola

Postby matroskin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:04 am

hello every one. i'm new here and would like to add my 5 cents into the discution. me and my
other compared the low end digital slr files (rebel 10d) with the best film you can buy at walgreens on regular slrs and the files from digital slr were much better quality in terms of sharpness and contrast (the film was scanned at high resolution). I suspect that professinal type film is much better quality, but then again there are 12 and 16 mega pixel cameras. having said that, i personaly don't think that film will become obsolit any time soon. the biggest differance i see between digital and analog photography is that you need only your computer and photoshop to have a functional dark room.

http://photomemoriesforlife.com
kn
matroskin

I like both

Postby saphyre » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:02 pm

I preferr to use film. Mostly because it makes me think about what I am photographing, the content, the layout, the light, everything that makes a good picture great. It makes me live in the moment of the picture and remember the experience of taking that picture, the reasons that particular thing caught my eye, my feelings, ect. I like digital because it allows you to be creative after the fact, when you have time to sit down and really look athe picture. But when it really comes down to it I'm all about the experience of taking the photo, that's why I prefer film.
saphyre

Postby NanMac » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:46 am

Digital. I prefer digital a thousand times over film. I started with a Minolta back in 1977. Did my own darkroom. Have shot 4x5 for product work. Did make-up for several years and worked with many film photogs, plus TV and film.

Got my first digital 1998. A Kodak 2.3 and I've never looked back.

I'm currently shooting with an Olympus E500 4/3's system and am getting an adapter that let's me use all my old Minolta lenses. The camera will lose all its bells and whistles and will become a manual camera when using that. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I prefer digital, not because of the cameras but because its production increases my control in all areas of the process and the computer has become, almost, part of my capture. I can do things in a digital darkroom that I can't do in a stardard darkroom.

Plus, if the truth be known...I really don't like the dark. It's spooky in there.
NanMac

Postby saphyre » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:38 pm

NanMac wrote:Digital.

Plus, if the truth be known...I really don't like the dark. It's spooky in there.

:shock: I know isn't there a few movies or shows with someone finding something on film and then getting killed and/or maimed in the darkroom? :?
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law, ancient and inexhaustable. ~the Dhammapada
saphyre

Postby NanMac » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:44 pm

saphyre wrote:
NanMac wrote:Digital.

:shock: I know isn't there a few movies or shows with someone finding something on film and then getting killed and/or maimed in the darkroom? :?

There must be movies, but I KNOW things move on the other side of the room when my back is turned. There are always odd noises in a darkroom. I get creeped out in there. :shock:
NanMac

Cameras

Postby Michaelblade » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:24 am

I was using a power shot that was fine but had to give it back to the owner.So I've been using my cell phone camera.Any pictures I post on this site were taken with it.My thoughts are that any real camera would make a big difference. Selling my work has become a real priority and just a cheap digital camera will help.What should I aviod ? I'll post a painting pic taken with the cell. I live at the beach and people buy these types of paintings. So I've been trying to limit my work time and create some affordable Art. They have been acrylic on canvas.Now I'm facing the expense of framing.
Attachments
waves.jpg
The Dolphin is surfing like a human.Normaly it would be seen inside the wave cresst.
waves.jpg (61.11 KiB)
The Real Blade
Michaelblade

Re: Cameras

Postby NanMac » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:52 am

Michaelblade wrote:I was using a power shot that was fine but had to give it back to the owner.So I've been using my cell phone camera.Any pictures I post on this site were taken with it.My thoughts are that any real camera would make a big difference.

Now I'm facing the expense of framing.

If get this correctly, you just need a camera to take images of your art?
So you need an inexpensive point and shoot.

I'd go with any Canon that's in your price range. I have a 3 year old Canon G-2 that has been amazing. Another super duper professional has a Canon point and shoot for quick snaps. The quality is there and the Canons are smart cameras. They do the work for you and they do it well. You'll get good clean images of your work.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a nikon cool pix or Fuji Finepix. I've shot with both and don't care for the quality. Twice I've had owners of those
ands ask to use my G-2 to take snapshots because the results were better.
I also shot at a friend's wedding against a full size fuji SLR camera and the G-2 images were better.

The new G-6's are about $600.00 and the Powershots are cheap. You can snag one of those for 150.00 on B&H Photo. Either would serve you well.

Frames...I get mine at Sam Flax.
I haven't tried these guys yet, but intend to.
http://www.framesbymail.com
NanMac

Postby Bill Guy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:05 pm

If you were to walk up to a painter because you liked their work would you ask them what type of paint
ush they used? To me the same can be said about the whole digital vs. film debate. Any camera is just a tool because it is the person holding the camera that makes the image.

Now to my opinion, Digital, as a tool, hold greater promise than film. With digital you can chose to work only within the camera (full manual) or do most of the work in a computer. Today's printers also allow artist to print their work on canvas and then go even into even more media for the final image.
With film you could do same work in the camera, do some burning and dodging in the darkroom and then you were done. With digital you can do the same but with so much more control and now you don't have to stand on your feet for hours and go home smelling like fixer. Plus all of your images are repeatable and can be sent all over the world in a matter of seconds.
Bill Guy

Film or Digital

Postby Michaelblade » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:42 pm

Just using my cell phone has been a better experience than dealing with film and commercial developers. For a pro that has a darkroom, it appears to be a matter of what the photos are being used for.Also the labor and exsposure to chemicals. Technology usualy makes things work better and they become more available to the public. Even with a good film camera. I would have to pay for developing. So I will be buying a digital camera.
The Real Blade
Michaelblade

use what you have!

Postby Richard Cook » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:24 pm

hi drawn2art - I have used both slides and negative films and I just got a small Kodak easy share 7.1 mp.
When I fist started I listened to the pros and drooled over the hi end stuff. Really hi res scanner for film and slides. Here's what I discovered. If you are trying to reproduce the look of traditional large format film, FINE ART, etc. stay with transparencies. But I get excited when I get someting unexpected - grain, distortion, etc. - I would rather let the medium dictate where I go. I'm having a great time with my little digital and I'm shooting more and more. Some of my best stuff is unintended. Good luck, Richard Cook
Richard Cook

Postby KGregory » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:29 pm

I think it really depends on the intention of your work. I work with everything from a large format camera with sheet film to a plastic camera with expired film to a basic digital SLR. I also go back and forth between color and black & white. It all depends on the project - I hope they keep developing both digital and film technologies!!
KGregory