A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Oiling out problem?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Oiling out problem?

Postby johncee » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:05 pm

For the first time I have tried "oiling out" and made a mess of the artwork. What I did not understand was the oiling medium should be wiped off after applying, whereas, I let it dry for a couple of months. In consequence, it has produced a varnish finish thickened in some areas and not a pleasant look. I used Stand oil and gum turps.
I was thinking to remove this varnish finish without ruining the underlying artwork I should use turps but I don't really know. Can anyone assist?
In appreciation thanks
johncee

Re: Oiling out problem?

Postby Singular » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Sorry about your issue. Yes, letting it dry is not what you want to do. But you learned that one already. If you put a very thin layer of mineral spirits on the area and let it absorb, then gently dab with a paper towel, you might be able to get some of it off. However, it might not work if the coat is too dry, and you must be careful that the spirits do not run onto a part of the painting you do not want to touch. if it does, quicky dab out. But you will probably get a little paint with it.

If all fails, then you learned your lesson the hard way and still got some practice in with the painting.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby T.Richmond » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 pm

I have had this problem before but I had never thought to apply mineral spirits . It makes sense too, I oil out my paintings ( and let dry ) before the final coat is added. I made the mistake of buying stand oil and found it was far to thick to use . The best way to thin it out is adding mineral spirits to it ( in a small cup or dish) , too much can make the oil like water though so add small amounts at a time .

Or try Alkali Refined linseed oil , it works wonders and inexpensive .
T.Richmond

Postby ivo55 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:07 am

Well, I can see you are trying to to prevent your painting from damage by oiling it and also achieving some dept, however in a long term oiling is not good at all. The oil remains active for year and is penetrating the structure of your painting damaging every part of it including the linen.
Using a varnish is recommended if you care and would like your paintings to remain the same and last hundreds of years.
I am a professional restorer and dealing with that all the time.
http://www.caricaturist-ivo.co.uk/Restoration.html
ivo55

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Art Discussion