A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Selling Art

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Selling Art

Postby avlearay » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:05 pm

I am looking for advice from my fellow "starving artists". I have the opportunity to place 2 of my paintings in a local show and I am very excited about this opportunity.

My difficulty is that I need to give the paintings I choose to display dollar values. I trully have no idea how to price my work. Does any one have advice on how to price my art work?

Thanks in advance,

Lea
avlearay

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Selling Art

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:32 pm

That's great, Lea. I'd suggest do some legwork, look around local galleries, check out similar styles and sizes and pick your price accordingly. Don't go to low and don't go too high.
And let us know how did it go! Good luck,
Erika
Erika Takacs

Selling Art

Postby avlearay » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 am

Thanks for the advice Erika! :D If any one else has some additional advice I am "all ears". I will keep you posted about the show.

Lea
avlearay

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:35 am

I factor in size of work, the amount of time it took to create (within reason), and the medium. Hope that helps. ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby DLKeur » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:02 am

Pricing your work depends on your own prestige as an artist, the quality of the work, the durability of the work, is it signatory or is it common, what value do you place on the work yourself, this last because, remember, once sold, that's it. You cannot financially benefit from that work again.
DLKeur

Selling Art

Postby avlearay » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi DLKeur and thank you for the advice. You make very valid points that I had not thought about. One thing that I am sure about is that my work is not common and all my pieces are one of a kind!
avlearay