A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Who's your favourite fine artist?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Who's your favourite fine artist?

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:37 pm

It would be fun to see who gets the most votes.

I have quite a few, here's a few of them (in no particular order):

Michelangelo
Gauguin
Van Gogh
Modigliani
Rodin
Csontvary (he's not well-known internationally, see previous thread about him)

Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:43 pm

My favourite is the late David Smith, metal sculptor. My favourite from your list is Van Gogh.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:15 pm

I've checked out David Smith's sculptures. They are very original and unusual. Not the type of artwork you fall in love with instantly though. I think it takes time to take it in and fully appreciate it.
I absolutely loved one of his paintings though ("Untitled"), too bad there were no more posted on the site.

Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Singular » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:14 am

I don't know that I can give a favorite. There are so many that I love, but my favorite painting of all time is "The Burial of Count Orgaz" by El Greco.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:28 am

El Greco used to be my favourite painter at one time.

Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby KGregory » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:24 pm

Renaissance:
Al
echt Durer (his printmaking)
Raphael (School of Athens)

Impressionists:
Van Gogh
Renoir

Early Photographers:
Julia Margaret Cameron
Oscar Gustave Rejlander

Contemporary Photographers:
Duane Michals
Sarah Moon
Maggie Taylor / Jerry Uelsmann (a married couple)
Robert & Shana ParkeHarrison (another couple)
Michael Kenna / Rolfe Horn (studied together - very similar)
Doug & Mike Starn (twins)

And just for fun - a guy I went to high school with who has became an amazing painter:
Josh Clay ~ http://www.joshuaclayart.com/home.htm
KGregory

Postby Singular » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:44 pm

School at Athens is one of my all time favorites. I have a huge framed print of it still in my parents' house. You get the idea looking at that type of work that people just don't paint like that anymore. I don't know if it is the fast paced society we now live in, but artists nowadays don't seem to have the patience to paint like earlier times.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28

Postby KGregory » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:47 pm

I love how many themes & ideas are going on in it...

To combine Christianity, Greek mythology, legendary philosophers, and contemporary painters all in one scenario blew my mind.
KGregory

Postby Eirewolf » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:54 pm

One of my favorite artists, who is still living, is Forest Rogers. She is primarily a sculptor.

http://forestrogers.typepad.com/photos/ ... index.html

http://www.forestrogers.com/
Eirewolf

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:08 am

One of my favorite artists, who is still living, is Forest Rogers. She is primarily a sculptor.

Impressive work indeed! Her mythical and fantasy works are amazing, but I think her realistic sculpture about the old Kosovar woman and baby are even better. Thank for sharing.

Erika
Erika Takacs

favorite fine artist

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:00 pm

Hi, Everybody; Van Gogh is my fave from the list. Current painters I
love are Cecily Brown, Bryan Schellinger and Takashi Murikami before
he got all commercialized. There are so many wonderful painters out there, it's like music - I like it all. OOhh! Check out Gin Myerson. BTW,
Forest Rogers work is beautiful. Thanks, ehoeveler
ehoeveler

favorite artists

Postby Carmelo » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:11 pm

I have a few myself, however, I just visited the Forest Rogers website and have a new favorite as of today. Thank you Erin even though I have not contacted or met you via the forums in "A Singular Creation", I did visit your website as well and am deeply impressed with your work too.
And Erika, some of my faves are...N.C. Wyeth, Maxfield Parrish to name a couple illustrator/artists who made deep impressions on my young mind. Scuptors, Donatello, Jean Baptiste Carpeaux, Michealangelo are a few. There are many painters I truely admire, Dali, all the Pre-Raphealites, Caravaggio from the Rennaisance and many more. I hope that covers the subject for now, but I'm sure there can be more said.
Carmelo

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:57 pm

Bob Ross is my new favorite. E
ehoeveler

Postby beautifulbay » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:12 pm

Even though this post is a little old, I'll jump in with my all time favorite...

Claude Monet - I love his paintings at Giverny. I have one print of them, and one of the little girl in the sunflower garden....would like to get more of them.

My least favorite of whose names I know (lol) is Van Gogh. I'm sorry, I never liked any of his work. I know I may be stepping on some line with that one.... sorry.
DRAW~ even if no one else understands why~ PAINT~ even if no one believes in you
CREATE~ Lose yourself in your own world ~ Just do it because you love it!
beautifulbay

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am

Ha ha, BB, you're
ave to admit. I've always admired his art but I admire him more as a sensitive human being since reading his letters to his
other, sister and mother and friends published not too long ago on the web.
Erika Takacs

Postby beautifulbay » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:41 am

Ha ha ...Not liking Van Gogh doesn't always make me the most popular person ina group.... lol ... I've just never been impressed by him, but I know a lot of people are. That's ok.
I have also read about him to a point and see that there was a sensitive side to him. I like that too. It's nice when you can make a connection to an artist you really admire.
DRAW~ even if no one else understands why~ PAINT~ even if no one believes in you
beautifulbay

Van Gogh

Postby Carmelo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Have you not seen"Starry Night?" Vincent was a true artist who got too deep into his absinthe cups and perhaps exposed himself to too much lead in the paint he used. There is good and less-than-good work from all artists, yet, that they make art for all to see and to like or dislike, is what makes our world go round. Mine anyways.
Carmelo

Postby beautifulbay » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:32 pm

Yes, I've seen starry night many times...lots of his popular works, I used to manage an art gallery and I've seen lots of works from all sorts of artists. I could never understand why starry night is as popluar as it is...nice??....yes it is....but it's HUGE, everyone loves that piece, and I just don't see it. What makes me not like it is just the fact that it is seen everywhere and it's been put into an overkill sort of thing for me.
I'm not trying to be skeptical in saying that, that's just my honest viewpoint on it...I try to see it, just don't. I also appreciate the artist variety in this world, and I don't undermine anyone's talents in their art even if the work does not appeal to me. I don't think art HAS to appeal to everyone, just to the few you'd like it to reach....if it reaches more...then that is exceptional. I try not to judge a person's art on whether or not I like it, I'll give my opinion on that, but then I try to focus on the art itself, the talent, vision and work put into a piece. I think that may be the most helpful way to appreciate art and keep yourself open to the work of other people....and not try to make it anything less than what it is. So in a nutshell, I do not put down Van Gogh's work just because I don't particularly like it. I do appreciate it in it's own way :D
beautifulbay

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:55 pm

It's OK BB, that's what makes the world go 'round! I love Van
Gogh - he's my fave even though he's become ridiculously
well-known. E
ehoeveler

Artists

Postby Carmelo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:27 pm

There are so many artists to like and dislike as one chooses. Art is great for that reason. So, laying poor Vincent to rest for the moment, what do you think about the Pre-Raphaelites? You may need to spell-check that, but we can start with Sir Edwin Bourne-Jones.
Carmelo

Next