A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Curious about artists...

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Curious about artists...

Postby mspiper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:30 pm

I'm curious about the way other members work. How many of our painters keep a sketch book and sketch...What kind of formal art instruction you have all had or are you self-taught? Do you sketch and study or just start with a blank canvas? How often do you paint? Do you have several things going at once, or work on one painting at a time? Just curious, and wanting to better organize and get serious about my own art habits! :D
mspiper

Postby kcortese » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:20 pm

I don't keep a sketch book.

I'm self taught.

I sometimes do a sketch then throw it out, but mostly use a blank canvas and just let it flow.

I work in several different mediums, and paint when the feeling comes over me.

I usually finish one project and move on to the next, but may go back to a previous work to add or change something.

Karen
kcortese

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Mspiper, I think artist work in differnt ways. And those ways would cover the ways you sugjested. And more. Sculptors will tend to work on one piece at a time. Oil Painters could have 2 or 3 going at a time. Because paint has to dry a little before added another layer. If you look into the "Works In Procress section". You will get a good idea of the ways in which the differnt artist work. Training is always a good thing to do. If one has the time and can afford it. But art work is like anything else. One learns by doing. And one will also learn what thier limitations are. What they can become good at. Or not so good at. The good news is they are a lot of outstanding artist on this site. And they are very helpful to other artist. And you will find. They're very nice people.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

I agre

Postby rrsum » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 am

Hey there,
I agree with John on this mspiper. There really is no "right or wrong" way. If I'm doing oils, I might have 2-3 going, just like John says. If it's acrylic, usually only one since they dry so much faster.
I usually sketch out what I'm thinking about doing, but more often than not, I end up changing something because something that happened with the colors, etc., will kickstart another idea and I'll end up going with that.
I have one that started out to be wine country, but I ended up in moose country somewhere.

Do what makes you happy...only thing that matters is where you finish and how it looks to you. If others like it...bonus for you! :wink:
Rich Summers
rrsum

How it works

Postby Bilbow » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 am

I usually have several works in progress which sit in the closet. If I am not working on something "pressing", I often go and see what I might try and finish in the closet.
I hope you are blessed by my work. Bill Stephens
Bilbow

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:10 pm

How many of our painters keep a sketch book and sketch...?
I do.. many actually.. I keep a small one with me always. To capture ideas as they arise..so I have them to work off of at a later point.

What kind of formal art instruction you have all had or are you self-taught?
I have had formal art training, College, Institutes of Art, etc.. but, that didn't occur until late. I was self taugh from childhood - first actual art class wasn't until High School.

Do you sketch and study or just start with a blank canvas?
A combination of all, really depends on the inspiration.. or what is speaking to me at the moment as to whether its planned or more runs with the whim. I do however, do figure studies, etc... its good practice.

How often do you paint?
Currenly - daily.

Do you have several things going at once, or work on one painting at a time?
I have many in the works, of verious styles, themes and mediums. But, I currently am focusing on one at the moment. I use a flat file or a rack to maintain my works. Important thing is to keep them in a location that is safe from damage, grime, rodents etc., (they love to chew on canvas.)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby artisticsha » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:57 pm

I bought about 3 sketch pad. I think I have only sketced about 4 things. Most of the time it sits around.
I like to paint from photographs or I just start with a blank canvas and go.
I am self taught. I did take art in highschool if that counts for anything.
I have post polio, so I must take rest periods when Im working on a piece.
I paint at my liesure. I use oils. I paint only one at a time. So its good to get up and walk away from it. When you come back to it you see what you have to do next a little more clearer.
Hope this helps.
artisticsha

Postby arlenemurals » Tue May 18, 2010 7:30 am

I have been drawing and painting since I am 5. I am a graduate of the Fashion Institute of Technology, I have been taking art classes for years at an under graduate level. I do not keep a sketch book per se, however I do have folders and photos of inspiration, I have a massive li
ary of very expensive art books, I am a professional muralist, and have enjoyed the good fortune of having work steady and full time for 15 years . Although I paint every day, I do not paint what I realy want to paint for a living, my studio is set up for that and i have 3 easels going at any given time depending on what is inspiring me. Right now it is leaf and metal paintings using guilding methods and fine art figure painting. Sketching is something I need to make time for. Great topic
arlenemurals

Postby artisticsha » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:14 am

Im self taught. It depends on what Im painting. I usually start off with a blank canvas and take it from there no sketching.
I will sketch if there are buildings involved as with a portrait. I usually paint from photographs. For me it is always better to have a visual. Except for when I am in make it up myself mode. I only work on one at a time.
artisticsha