A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Is a studio all its cracked up to be?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby artbymkn » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:46 am

I am by profession a dog groomer. That's where I spend ALL of my waking time. Therefore, my studio is a corner of the dog grooming shop. My paintings are on the walls, every square inch, and sometimes someone buys one. I have my easel in a back corner of the main grooming room. I have a roll around portable "studio" to hold all my stuff.

Strange thing, the dogs LIKE to watch me paint. When the daily work is done and the canines waiting for pick up, I paint, and they watch. Sometimes I'll put on some classical music. They LOVE IT.
artbymkn

Gallery: View Gallery

...studio?

Postby mspiper » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:17 pm

...studio? Would be great. I too suffer from 'scattered studio syndrome'. Working out of a living room corner with my easel being dragged from corner to corner...wherever the majority of my piles have accumulated to. In my bedroom, sitting on my bed... out of rubbermaid buckets and boxes.
mspiper

I say...

Postby rrsum » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:03 pm

I say...we ALL move in with PATRICK and share his space! :wink:
Rich Summers
rrsum

Better bring a snowsuit

Postby pehiatt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:38 am

Only room for one inside. Everyone else will have to sit on the snowbank outside

I am staying nice and toasty. Great light for painting.

Stay safe abd warm.
Attachments
ASC Gazeebo snow 1.jpg
ASC Gazeebo snow 1.jpg (112.61 KiB)
pehiatt

Postby Karen Berstler » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 pm

My studio is half of a very small spare room, ok not even half, I have one corner. But it is so worth it to be able to shut the door, and leave a painting out while I'm working without having to pack everything away. Storage is becoming a major issue for me and I dream of the day when I have a large dedicated space all my own.
Karen Berstler

Postby Geoff_Anthony » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Don't we all dream of that; I have a small corner of the dining room/kitchen, but not having kids at home anymore means a bit more freedom.
I don't have to pack things up, just keep things tidy.
Geoff Anthony
Tuggerah, NSW, Australia

I think, therefore I don't know
Geoff_Anthony

Postby artisticsha » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:18 am

I have an extra bedroom that I set up as my studio. Great light in it. Also my office is right there. Works well for me and I dont have to pay rent on it.
artisticsha

Postby agrajtech12 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:04 am

I also thought that it has a little bit high cost so I preferred a pirated copy.
What you think?
agrajtech12

Re: Is a studio all its cracked up to be?

Postby creative_detail » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:52 am

sadly my bedroom/art space is meshed into one.
i do alot of painting sitting on my bed/with a small tv table beside me that has my paint/water/brushes etc at arms width and my canvas on my lap or leaning against my headboard.yes i put something over my bedding for those un-expected accidents or drips.
a studio is on my big wishlist though.lol
ive heard ppl who have studios love it and wouldn't like anything else,but also ppl that are just as happy with just having a small corner of a room or small room for all things art.so really its all preference IMO
creative_detail

Postby Haleyo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:12 pm

My boyfriend and I are artists together, and we've turned most of our 500 square foot apartment into studio. Most of the wall space is taken up by our pictures, and we have desks and easels set up in the corners. Keeping things really neat and organized means we can still have guests and usable space for living, but the art has taken over out living room somewhat.
I think it's important to have your own space, especially so you can control the noise level where you work, but I've never really felt I needed a studio. At the art school I went to last year, everyone seems to have one. Some of the students have $800+ a month ones downtown, and it's required for upperclassmen. Some people say that they wouldn't get anything done if they didn't have a place to go to do it.
For me it's not necessary. I don't have the money, and art is a part of my life, so why keep it separate?
WOW, Pehiatt! Your studio is amazing!
Haleyo

Postby SidneyEileen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:21 pm

At the moment I am between homes, taking up space graciously granted by a very dear friend. That means I set up and take down as much as possible when working on projects, and the only "space" I have that is remotely dedicated is a fold-up sewing table (which swaps computer or sewing machine depending upon what I'm doing), and a small fold-up table that serves as a drawing/painting surface. I only have space to set about six small paintings while they dry (oils), so that severely limits how much painting I can do and forces me to focus more on other mediums and styles. I very much look forward to moving this summer and having space of my own which I can set up as a studio. Plan is to have a room of my own, or at least the garage so I have enough space to stay set up, and I'll be able to have as many paintings going as I want.

Studio really is something that is not necessary, but it sure is nice if you can afford it.
The day we stop learning about art is the day we stop making art.
SidneyEileen
Writer

Articles: 3
Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous