A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Crayons

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Crayons

Postby beakerless » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:19 pm

Crayons........has anyone used them ...... as in melted and painted on or dripped etc?
beakerless

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:10 pm

Crayons as I understand them, would not be expected to last very long as compaired to oil paint. But perhaps I,m am not sure what your talking about.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby william » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:38 pm

I've given melted crayolas a bit of a run with some 6th grade students. We had little electric pans to melt the wax, and we all painted onto a piece of fa
ic, it was pretty cool.. Not the most permanent medium though. The kids loved it, I liked it, except for the fact that the wax is extremely
ittle.....but I think you might be able to iron and melt the wax so the color sets into a fa
ic... what do you have in mind beakerless?

I'm in the process of learning how to use dorland's wax with my oil paints... I know someone who always uses wax with his paints. ... he's 80 something and makes his own medium, suggested I try a wax medium from store before getting into making my own....same issue with wax though, too much and the paint becomes very
ittle.
william

Postby beakerless » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:44 pm

Actually I was planning on trying something similar with plain muslin fa
ic.
beakerless

Postby william » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 am

Muslin and wax, the perfect setup for a batik.

I had fun when I tried it out. The fa
ic I used was like muslin, but different, similar texture and density. The wax cools quickly while painting, so it only spreads so far. We used old paint
ushes, q-tips, and these wax well pens i had. We used crayola crayons for it, may sound childish, but crayola has strong pigmentation. Now supposedly, you can iron the wax out, leaving the color. I didn't go for it, because I thought the image and color would be affected by remelting the wax on the work. I say go for it, but you might want to make a small sketch or sample first, just to experiment. If you have an iron and towels you don't care about, you can try to iron the wax out and see how it works. I know you can wash wax out of batik also, but I'd have to jog the memory as to how.

When you try this, let me know and see what you came up with...
william

Postby beakerless » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 pm

Yeah I read something about tinting fa
ic with crayons in a needlework tutorial. They didn't put the crayon on as heavy instead they sort of colored on the muslin like you would on a coloring book page. Used
own paper bags to put the fa
ic between and ironed the tint into the fa
ic then they stitched around it. I was thinking of doing sort of the same thing only using fine tipped fa
ic pens along with the crayon to shade my images. And I do have a whole bolt of inexpensive unbleached muslin to experiment with. I figure I can work on unstretched muslin that I have hemmed with a larger hem on top to slide a dowel or curtain rod through for hanging. I have plenty of scraps to experiment with and with a five year old grandson who has been "doing art with Nawnee" since he was 18 months old I have plenty of crayola crayons to play with and also some water color pencils.

This forum has gotten the creative juices flowing but I don't have the money for more expensive materials right now so I thought I would inventory what I had in the house that I could use to create and keep the flow going. I am also always looking for more art projects I can do with Lil Man. He is pretty good about the parts he isnt old enough to do himself like the ironing.

Anyway thanks a lot William. The needloworking tutorial only went so far and I appreciate getting more information.
beakerless

Postby william » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:54 am

No problem beakerless, I'm glad I was helpful. Let me know how it works out. I would definitely play around with it though....My kids have the studio of crayola stuff, so there's always something to play with......Have fun with it.
william

Hello

Postby rebaccawood911 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:22 pm

I used them they melt and its nice to use....

laser engraver
rebaccawood911

Postby hazelnice » Sat May 29, 2010 12:09 am

crayons? i think it will not last but melted crayons would be more effective.
hazelnice

Return to Art Discussion