A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Does critique influence your artistic style/path?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Does critique influence your artistic style/path?

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:33 am

I feel it doesn't affect me as much as it used to. When I first started I needed a lot of assurance and approval from others, but lately I've noticed I follow my instincts more than anything. It's not like I'm not listening to advice and suggestions, I just listen more to my gut feeling. Whether good or bad, I don't know, but this is what's happening. I hope it's just more confidence in myself.

Anyways I was reflecting on this today, and was wondering how you guys feel about this. :) Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby DLKeur » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:58 am

Not at all. I do my own thing. Any art I have ever put up for critique always received no comments, or bad reviews. However, oddly, everyone has proven itself by being lucrative. Commercial art I do has received raves by people -- and it was stuff I hated. Goes to show you.
DLKeur

Postby revad » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:04 pm

I will listen to what the viewer has to say, and sometimes I will connect with the feedback and use it to trigger a new direction for my journey. I am rarely offended and can quite easily discard anything said that I cannot connect with. I absolutely will not change direction just because of the personal likes or dislikes of someone else.

And of course it is always good to get positive strokes for ones ego ;)

I think maybe we are in a similar place.
revad

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:27 pm

Dawn, I hope to get where you are one day (in terms of just doing my thing). But with me everything is gradual, one step at a time.
Revad, I think you're doing very well, judging by what I've seen on your website.
Erika Takacs

Postby DLKeur » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:36 am

I'm glad you qualified that, Erika. Because, right now, I'm suffering FLU thanks to getting a flu shot (Mom insisted.). Added to that, I'm five people at once, and sometimes even I get confused. Comes from being previously married, being presently married, doing stuff under a birth name, and having two legal pseudonyms to boot. Sometimes I forget which hat I'm supposed to be wearing. Lawyer doesn't have that problem. He keeps them straighter than I do. But I'm always confusing the poor ladies who answer the phones at the companies I ship to. Just did that yesterday and one actually
oke down in tears when she finally figured out that two of me were actually one, and that they are different contracts.
DLKeur

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:34 pm

I think what other people say about uor work will always have some kind of influence on us. However, The longer we do what we do. The less meaning we will give to what people say. They will always be those that have good things to say and bad things to say. Now how does that old Ricky Neson song go. You can,t please everyone so you have to please yourself.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:40 am

I listen to others because I tend to get "out there" in my work
or might think because the idea is good, I don't have to worry
as much about execution. I do take into account the critique-ers'
personality ie: If my husband hates it, it's probably really cool and
I'm going in the right direction! :lol: E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:54 am

Well said, John. I agree.

ehoeveler wrote:I do take into account the critique-ers'
personality ie: If my husband hates it, it's probably really cool and
I'm going in the right direction! :lol: E

Oh, E, that saddens me...what does he hate about them? By the way, how come you don't paint in your realistic style anymore? Your rebel boy was outstanding, hope you don't abandon that style.
Erika Takacs

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:24 am

It's OK, really. He buys my art supplies and tries to be supportive
when he can. It's really kind of funny. Truthfully, I don't want to
paint the things that he likes (landscapes, sidewalk cafe scenes,
still lifes, etc.)
No aspersions on these types, just not my thing.
The same with portraits. The little Rebel boy caught me at a
certain moment, and I wanted to see if I could do it, but I don't
want to go back there any time soon.
OOps, spoke too soon! I forgot that I'm going to paint two small
portraits of him to give to his kids at Christmas. Also one of Daisy,
our fiesty but precious Rat Terrier, to give to him.
Will post when finished. E
ehoeveler

Postby kptad2 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:42 pm

for me is has affected my creative juices at times...
makes me pull back some.... i think its becasue people are forgetting that you are seeing it with your eyes not theres or maybe its me whos forgetting... guess i should clear up its usually the ones that were not asked for the critiquing opions that get me...
so now i do my best to do what i want verse what everyone else thinks im able to do.. keeps my mind clear.. and me not trying to please everyone..
Everything is speaking,inspite it's apparent, silence.
kptad2

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:38 pm

kp, so true! E, I missed your answer somehow. Yes, our family and friends try to influence us, but they're not the best critics. Well, Christmas is gone, where are the pics??? :)
Erika Takacs

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:30 am

Check my images under EHoeveler. I did one of my grandson called 'Tyler Numero Uno' and the other was a rip from Pep029 named 'Big Rooster'.
ehoeveler

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:52 am

Oh, ok, I've seen those ones. How about Daisy?
Erika Takacs

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 pm

In the works. E
ehoeveler

Postby saphyre » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:00 pm

i used to care a lot about what people saw in my art. but after a while I just took it just for what it is, their opinion. I do seek advice on astetics and tecnique, but that is all right now. Now ask me again when I'm done with my flowers and try to get them up in a gallery, lol, then i might care a bit more. :lol: :D
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law, ancient and inexhaustable. ~the Dhammapada
saphyre

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:08 pm

Ok. Are you done with your flowers? :lol: Did you put them up in a gallery? :lol: :twisted:
Erika Takacs

Postby saphyre » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:21 pm

No not yet, a few things have been taking up my time instead. :(
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law, ancient and inexhaustable. ~the Dhammapada
saphyre

Postby Lenora » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:42 pm

I "critique the critique," so to speak. If I think the critic has a good point, I'll take it into consideration. If I honestly assess that the critique is not valuable to me, yet the person gave it in a sincere desire to be helpful, I will at least show appreciation. Depending on the situation, I may explain why I choose to leave something as it is.

I do have to guard the tendency to second guess my talent because of a somewhat critical person (no one in particular). In some cases, the criticism says more about the critic than it says about the artist. I don't mean that as a blanket statement. Artists who are genuinely trying to help one another can be priceless.
Lenora