A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

A Question About Fine Art America

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

A Question About Fine Art America

Postby Pooch » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Do any of you use that site? I signed up as I would like to start selling my work on line. There are a bunch out there but they seem to be the biggest. Doesn't mean they are the best, of course.
I've read some complaints. Mostly that the images they show on the site are easily copied because of where FAA places the watermark. I can see the it IS in a spot that could be easily ignored or even taken out with a photo shop type of program. Their pricing policies have been mentioned, too. They take so much that it's hard for the artist to make a profit.
That said, there seems to be an awful lot of artists who use the site. So I just don't know.
Is anyone here using FAA. If not, do you use a similar site that you feel is better? Let me know.
Pooch

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: A Question About Fine Art America

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:41 am

Good morning Joseph. I have a lot of work posted on that site and intend to post more. As far as reproductions are concerned I find it is the best site to most accurately produce a copy of your work but the sizing rarely matches conventional ready made frames. Some other reproduction sites will crop your pictures to fit their format thereby destroying the presentation of the original work. I have not earned one dime with the sale of any reproductions of my work. I have bought reproductions of my work for a shower curtain, kind of blurry but nice, and to repaint a couple of portraits I originally gave away. I think the painted over prints actually look better than the originals. I also bought some shopping bags with my work on them. The quality of the shopping bags are far superior to any bag you have ever seen and they are far more expensive. The bags are lined with black rayon, I think, as they look like silk.

As to copying your work, it is easier to copy paintings from this site than it is from that one. I am not going to explain how. Additionally, there is a small artistic community in China like a suburb of Beijing that does massive reproduction work of any art they choose that they have lifted from the internet from any artist who posts any work on any site in the world. They are excellent copy artists and live in squalor with little hope of escaping the poverty of their existence. A large section of the world does not recognize copyright laws.

Finally, my opinion, which most likely is a rare one, is that any artist who posts on the internet and worries about their work being copied is chasing a rabbit down the hole into wonderland. We produce art with the hope of display before others. Our art is our own, we have the original or have sold or given away the original and every computer date time stamps every entry so that if it becomes necessary to prove originality it is a no-brainer. Hope this answers your questions.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figure that the copying issue is going to be anywhere. But you say you haven't made a dime. Is your stuff not selling or is it because they take such a cut that you can't make a profit from it?
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Good evening. My granddaughter bought a small print of one of my paintings. Of course, I charged her nothing. The site requires at least a one dollar profit for the artist. So, I mailed her the dollar. She was 16 or 17 at the time and quite proud that she bought one of Papa's paintings with her own money, even if it was a print.

Other than that, no, not a single print has been sold. I do advise that this is my experience. You will get a weekly update of prints sold by artists as well as which paintings of yours has been viewed. It will be on Sunday.
CarlOwen