A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Let the Games Begin II

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Let the Games Begin II

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:57 pm

We are on the same page here my friend. Finished a painting today. I will post it in a day or two. I like it, but I am very capable of accepting any form or level of critic or criticism.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:15 am

Good morning Cristo. Been busy. Hired a young man about half my age to help me put up a two foot high, eighty foot long retainer wall. He flaked out after the first twenty feet. Finishing the job myself. a little over half done. Looks good. I finished the two landscape paintings of the bluffs region of the Pecos river. I will post them when I get my expansion card for my computer in a few more days. The one I have just gave up. I am posting them as the reference starting point of where I am now in my quest in painting in what I call abstract realism, (although most of my landscapes fall into the class of abstract impressionism) real enough to recognize the forms and abstract enough to give it that visual punch. In chasing abstract expressionism, I have no idea where I will end up by August 14th.

As to your paintings, I suggest you start paying attention to the backgrounds. I think the lines are coming along nicely but somehow stranded in a state of being lost on an unfinished canvas. I think the background needs work to darken it, fill it in, make the chiaroscuro quality bounce. Once the background is darkened you will see the need to make your lines even more colorful, brilliant. Some of them will start to demand thick paint to give the feel of texture. Then start your dance between darkened background spaces and super colorful foreground spaces. Just a suggestion. See it in your minds eye and decide.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Hey Carl, sounds like you have a lot of energy yet! .. I did with my painting what you suggested (adding darker color in the background), and here is what I have so far. Haven't had a lot of time to stop and paint, this update is from this past Saturday.. What do you think? .. Can't wait to see your paintings! You do have an abstract impressionism going on about your style for sure. I wonder if your paintings will be more abstract than usual?
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi Cristo. Still have to wait a few days before I can post. Lots of privet, rose and weed trimming to do in between rebuilding my computer and doing the retaining wall. Glad to see you are taking my advise. The painting is starting to fill out so to speak. I am liking that luminescent quality occurring in the form in the upper left. Push it, make it fuller, more of a complete form. I suggest the black areas and lines be bolder, darker, more shape like than an incomplete drawing stroke. I also think that luminescent quality could be established in the face and bleed off into the body. That red part could be more brilliant with some brush stroke depth to boot. That is enough for now. My suggestions, your paining and your decision. Will try to post something tomorrow morning. Have a good evening.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:43 am

Pecos Bluffs
Pecos Bluffs II
Well this is my starting point. Now we will see if I can transition from abstract impressionism to abstract expressionism. This is going to be a wild journey for me.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:46 pm

Hey Carl, To make your paintings more abstract you could make the lines separating land from sky blurry.. I think after that you could make wild designs in the foreground.. that's just my thought on this.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks for your ideas. Getting ready to post what I have done today. Sometimes the muse whispers and sometimes she simply kicks you in the rear. Got kicked today. Start to finish, this is today's work.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Santa Rosa Lake 1
Santa Rosa Lake 5
Santa Rosa Lake 4
Santa Rosa Lake 2
Santa Rosa Lake 1
Attachments
Santa Rosa Lake 3
Santa Rosa Lake 6
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:24 pm

Sometimes I do not understand the upload sequence. Will correct it next time. I am tired and it is time for dinner. Good night.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:30 pm

You're doing good Carl. Your brushwork suggests water in a stormy sea.. one thing about my artwork is a deep feeling for my subject. It's the crux of good expressionist artwork I believe.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:18 am

Good morning Cristo. I believe you are right about having a deep feeling for the subject. I will have to wait a few days or hours for the muse to return, which of course means I have to think a bit and study some more. Have a good day, I know I will.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:37 am

Santa Rosa Lake 5
Santa Rosa Lake 4
All on the board.
Good morning again. Been busy. Muse hit me two days ago. While attempting to think expressionist, the paintings are demanding impressionist. Interesting collision of thoughts. Somehow, I think it is improving my impressionist style. I like where these paintings are taking me, so I shall continue. It may be some time before I break this barrier. Anyway I hope you enjoy. Got lots to do before August 14th.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:43 am

Good work Carl.
Cristo

Postby Cristo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:50 am

Your clouds are impressionistic and pleasing to the eye. Though not too abstract. Still, I find it refreshing.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Taking a painting break. Thank you Cristo. I agree about the clouds. It seems my primary drive is to really create objects of beauty. I know I have said that often. But that intent is starting to become part of me deep inside. Funny how your desires remap the brain and your brain starts you about making it so.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:06 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Cristo

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:25 pm

As an onlooker I am always impressed with the works of both artists!
I love the idea of LTGB because it ignites a fun spirit of competition and inspiration!
ehoeveler

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:51 pm

I understand Cristo. What I have to say here is not aimed at you. Your comment just sparks a need for me to address the concept. We all fall into that trap from time to time, me included. Beauty is not in the eye of the beholder. If that were true, we as artists would never have grown past the human masses understanding of beauty. There would be no Man in the Golden Helmet, no Mona Lisa, no Winged Victory, no David, no Jackson Pollack, Autumn, and fat women would still be the favorite model. There would be no Beethoven, no space shuttle. The world would still be flat. That statement is simply a load of crap.

Once upon a time the angularity presented in Egyptian tomb sculpture was seen as beauty. Men and women copulating in statues in ancient India was beauty. Horses drawn on a cave wall was seen as beauty. Well, that example may need scrutiny as we still see those horses as beautiful.

No my friend, beauty is in the eye of the artist who is skillful enough to grab the public's attention and interest to want to understand why they think and feel what they see is beautiful or interesting, etc. It is my opinion that artists who do shock art, social commentary art, hateful of the human condition art and finally the 'oh my God, how violent' art are missing the point. Self promotion at the expense of other human beings, especially the viewers, is an abomination of the craft of artists, whatever their medium. Seeing an artist grow and struggle with ability and presentation is beautiful. Seeing an artist present work in the shock class just to get attention is a wounding slash to the presence of art.

To make the world more beautiful because of your personal endeavors and existence is the purpose of life. The artist cannot but help to make it so. Call it destiny, DNA, religion, or spiritual, I care not. Growth and freedom of choice is beauty, Control over others and denial of accepting growth is death, the ultimate rejection of beauty.

Why this tirade about beauty and the artist purpose? What we do influences and directs the definition and acceptance of beauty. I reject the concept that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It is in the eye of the artist with the intent to make this world more beautiful. You see, the more beauty we have around us, the less likely we are to want to destroy it. To bad to many either have forgotten or never knew the lessons of Dresden, Germany, circa WW II.

I have about 700 paintings left to do before my time is done. Hope I make it.

Hope I have said a thing or two to help direct you and others reading this post.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi Carl, I haven't painted since the last time I posted.. but I'll respond to your post.. Suppose you could see through other's eyes, would you then not say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder?.. Also, what is true for the moment, may not be true over time.. those questions, given my own personal circumstances, are the places from which I'd value things such as talent and inside views.. Also, What I used to think of your art has changed over the time I've spent conversing with you these past months. Your art possesses beauty enough yet you want to reach beyond that while within a system with set standards of what beauty is.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:27 pm

In regards to your first sentence, no. What if the eyes of the beholder was Hitler, or Bundy? And I agree to a degree about temporal beauty. But what about the beautiful objects that last for hundreds or thousands of years? That is the quality of beauty I am referring to. The trans generational and trans cultural objects we all appreciate just having the opportunity to see. Thank you for the comments in your last sentence. You are absolutely correct. And, I assume your opinion has changed from tolerating even to the point of being amused an amateur want to be artist into seeing someone struggling with how to create art. You would not be far off target. I do have a set standard of what beauty is. It is a mother loving a child. It is a soldier doing his duty. It is a song of hope. It is the promise of life. It is growth, health and support. It is not depicting anger, harm or causing death. I could go on, but you got the idea.
CarlOwen

PreviousNext