A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Let the Games Begin II

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Let the Games Begin II

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:19 am

Cristo and I have agreed to start another paint-off just for the fun of it. This time it is about creating a painted abstract of a though, concept, word, etc. I have attached two of my past abstracts for viewers to look at and comment about if they choose. In a few weeks I will be working on the one or ones for this paint-off. I hope you enjoy.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Let the Games Begin II

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:31 am

Earth's Heart 2
Caver's Comfort
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:47 pm

I like your brush style, but these paintings seem a bit simplistic. Yet it looks like you're headed for expressionism which is great.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Well I got back two days earlier than I planned. Got what I went after. Thanks for your comments Cristo. I assume we shall continue on this Post. You are correct in your assumption about headed for expressionism. Could you identify what you mean by 'a bit simplistic'? Would like to know your reference points and what overall makes them a bit simplistic.
CarlOwen

Postby eddieblz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Can anyone play?
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:22 pm

To me, the more the merrier. I believe Cristo would agree, but he is playing shy right now I think, or to early to tell. He has much more character and guts to just bail. Besides, he beat me in the last contest, I think. We never got a definitive judgment on that. I thought his was a better likeness than mine.

Just jump in with your work, critiques and comments. No holds barred. There were two once upon a times I will relate here. One, while in boot camp we had a free for all with quarter staff poles with padding on the ends. We attacked each other taking as many hits from all sides until every one was knocked down or out of the circle drawn on the ground until only one was left standing inside the circle. I got knocked out kind of early. Point is I wanted to do it again to see if I could be the last one left standing.

Two, once I gained a position, like clearing probation, if I wanted to do it, I checked policy to find the hole, or no policy comments or conflicting policy comments. I then did it and then submitted recommendations how to clean up that policy practice. Work was such fun.

So, join in and we all shall learn and improve. Looking forward to the challenge.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:46 am

Hey Carl, what I meant when I said your first two paintings in this contest are simplistic is in terms of your color palette. In abstract impressionism many shades and colors are used and these symbolically and intuitively depict the dynamics of a system. Your first painting looks to be a snippet of a larger painting. Your second painting could have done well with an explanation of it.. I will post two images of my work later today. As for me, if you've been following both "Let the games begin" topics since the beginning, you can play. Later.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:41 am

Thank you Cristo. And thank you for the lesson. Like I said, I have much to learn. I guess the first painting, Earth's Heart 2, is a snippet as at the time my idea was to capture the heart of a much larger concept. The painting is four feet by four feet. I have to work on the concept presentation for paintings like 'Caver's Comfort' as I think a painting has to stand alone without words. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to seeing your posts.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:53 pm

The Contest
Cristo

Postby Cristo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Pointed ..
Cristo

Postby Cristo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Your thoughts? ... I'm going with your idea of letting the paintings stand alone. for now.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Interesting. I like how my mind's eye insists on seeing faces within the paintings. I don't know if you just started these or if they are finished. I see them as just started. There are such opportunities here to be bold with paint color intensity, stroke pattern and paint depth. I have been studying this morning.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:00 pm

That's great! Studying is good. I can see you taking a liking to Van Gogh and developing a style similar to his. Do you like Van Gogh?
Thank you for your kind comments on my paintings. You're right when you say they can evolve into something very good. How to do it?.. I suppose if I just sit down and paint I'd get it. But with other stuff going on... It's been raining cats and dogs these past two days an I like to paint outside... and other things.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:43 pm

You know, I could chew you out again for making excuses, but I won't. I don't walk in your shoes. And I find my personal corrupted opinions born of arrogance, self serving aggrandizement and careless disregard for other persons intelligence does not serve my need to learn. So, moving on, several people tell me I have a style like Van Gogh. No, I do not like Van Gogh. I even care less for his paintings. I suspect that if it were not for his brother, he would have never been discovered.

Now, that said, I think I understand Van Gogh. Paint with power. Paint with passion. Paint with brilliant color. Make that small canvas command attention in a large room. Capture light and make it dance within the painting. How the paint is laid, stroked, and messed or mushed onto and into the canvas creates that synergy of color and form mass that the eye, brain connection interprets as beautiful, powerful, interesting, etc. or just UGH, awful. What a quest. In that sense, I accept the complement of painting like Van Gogh.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Cristo

Postby Cristo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:26 pm

These are my two latest updates of 'Pointed'. I had an earlier one but did not take a picture!!.. The idea of this painting is that of a pointed heart (or a head with a pointed chin), with a real artery coming down from the top (idea of children and magic) . 'Pointed' could mean, "pointed energy" as of a male towards a female.. or just a concentration of energy, such as goes into making this painting... I don't know if I'm just confusing people or if this writing somehow makes sense. What do you think, Carl?
Cristo

Postby Cristo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:55 pm

As I painted, I considered the notion of one psyche overtaking another. It was the idea that brought this painting to the now. Hope it helps.
Cristo

Postby Frank Joseph » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:07 pm

"Caver's Comfort" is my favorite. I like the freshness of brushstrokes and the light is great. I like so much that painting, great.
Frank Joseph

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Thank you Frank. When I started it, I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do. It kind of demanded to become all by itself. Cristo. I can almost follow your thought pattern. You have only captured about 1% in words what was going on in your mind. I understand. I have to think a bit before I respond to your questions.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:27 pm

You're right. I'd have to write a book to explain really well. I think I've painted too many bold lines and they cut too much into the flesh of the original design for this painting. I've thought that. But also, of creating that synergy you spoke of, methodically and meticulously.. (abstract symbolism?) Hope you're painting
Cristo

Next