A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Getty Center sketch

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Getty Center sketch

Postby HeadedHome » Mon May 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Let me know what you think. This is one of my first charcoals I did about a year ago. It's from a photo I took at night at the Getty Center in L.A. about five years ago. What an incredible place! 12x12 on linen-textured card stock. I can take any kind of criticism.

David
Attachments
HeadedHome

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Getty Center sketch

Postby Singular » Tue May 26, 2015 4:52 pm

I like it. Nice composition and well drawn. I also like the contrast in color variation. Only suggestion from me vary the tone a bit. Everything seems to have similar values. Although the color variation helps, I would like more contrast within similar colors. The background seems to have similar values to the stairs and foreground. We need some extreme darks and some extreme lights to really make this pop. But very well done!
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Getty Center sketch

Postby HeadedHome » Wed May 27, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words and suggestions. I am still learning how to deal with charcoal and chalk. The paper I used is that brown you see. I thought it would enhance that nighttime feel. After having sat around for so long, I think quite a bit of the charcoal has rubbed off or fallen off. I used a fixative the other day, so hopefully that has stopped. I will practice a lot more using your suggestions. Thanks again.
HeadedHome