A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Let me know what you think.

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Let me know what you think.

Postby HeadedHome » Sat May 16, 2015 3:07 pm

I am new around here. I appreciate honest opinions. It's ok to be tough on me. This is Sennelier oil pastels on 18x24 watercolor paper. I use a palette knife to apply the pastel and my fingers to move it around. It`s not supposed to be terribly realistic.

David
Attachments
HeadedHome

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Let me know what you think.

Postby CarlOwen » Sat May 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Well, I have a little time on my hands, so here goes. Your description is an interesting technique. My thumb and fingers sometimes find their way to the canvas surface from time to time. I have a few suggestions. Buy a few art books. You know, the ones that tell you how to do stuff. Look at the how to paint, draw, and create short videos on Youtube. Your work looks amateurish, unskilled and ever so nicely innocent. I am of the opinion that you have talent, but no training. No need to go to an art school, just learn a bit about form, proportion, and perspective. Stop with the paper thing. Get canvases from art stores, Hobby lobby, DickBlick online, or anywhere you can buy them. Be sure they are the canvases that have the little canvas stretcher corner clips so you can make the canvas tight as a drum surface. I check mine by snapping my finger on it to hear that ping sound. Why canvas instead of paper? Paper is for play. Being threatened by a real blank canvas in front of you is a whole new world. It is the real deal. You will know what I mean when you do it. Hope you reflect a time on my comments and then go do it.
CarlOwen

Postby HeadedHome » Sat May 16, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. I am indeed a complete self-taught amateur. I have been painting and drawing for around a year now and I am the first to admit I need some training. I am just a bit lazy in that way, as I would much rather be painting stuff. I will take your suggestion to heart. As for the paper thing, I LOVE working on paper and smooth surfaces. Plus, good paper is much cheaper than good canvas. In my opinion, canvas doesn't do well for oil pastels. The rougher surface eats the pastels quickly, and I am not fond of the texture showing thru. I do paint with acrylics on canvas, but usually the cheaper ones from Michael`s or Aaron Bros. I will invest in the better ones. Help me out with the perspective thing. I understand the proportion and form issues, as that was somewhat intentional. What sort of perspective would improve this in your eyes?
HeadedHome

Postby eddieblz » Sun May 17, 2015 12:16 am

I like it. You have a unique style. Reminds me a little of Kirchner, Ensor or Matisse, some of the modern artists but with your own perceptive. It's good to get some books and check out training vids but for goodness sake don't become a carbon copy artist like allot do out there. Continue to explore you own style and technique.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CarlOwen » Sun May 17, 2015 8:51 am

I agree with Eddie about the don't give up your individuality thing. As to perspective on this particular drawing, forget about that concept. There is no perspective issues in an 'in your face' type of portrait. Studying a few how to do art books and looking at a few videos will help you develop your skills. Nobody is capable of giving you the how to do it, or fix it thing. We can tell you how, even show you how. That is the teaching/learning part. But, you have to learn and feel that on your own by doing it.
CarlOwen

Postby eddieblz » Sun May 17, 2015 10:45 am

Good art books can get expensive. Here's three free PDF downloads to some Andrew Loomis books. I've never been to the "Art Institute" but I happen to know that these are three of the books they use there.
http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/Andrew%2 ... 0Hands.pdf

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/Loomis%2 ... 20Draw.pdf

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/Andrew%2 ... Pencil.pdf

I myself am a self taught artist also (kinda) the only difference with me is that I had the privilege to have a father who was a university level art teacher and he took us allover Europe and many of the art museums in the US. So I've had the privilege of seeing many of the great Master pieces and not so great pieces up close and personal. I've also had the opportunity and privilege to meet many great artists. Also my dad had a university level library in the house so I had the opportunity to study the great masters at my leisure. Though I truly believe taking some good art classes would have help me, I personally just didn't feel the need and did my own thing and I did make a very good living as a graphic artist for a while in my life until drugs, alcohol and sever burnout destroyed me for over a decade.
So I agree with Carl a little education can only help and polish.
eddieblz

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby HeadedHome » Sun May 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks a lot for those links Eddie! I looked through them a bit today and they will be really helpful. I have always had a lot of problems with figures and I can tell this has already helped. There are some amazing learning opportunities here in the Seattle area also, so I will certainly look into that as well. I really appreciate you guys' suggestions and encouragement.

David
HeadedHome

Postby HeadedHome » Sun May 17, 2015 9:40 pm

By the way Eddie, I'm glad you're turning it all back around.
HeadedHome

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury