A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Let The Games Begin

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Let The Games Begin

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:46 pm

Good evening Cristo. My comments are with Liz in your gallery. It is good you like to share. When one shares, one is connected to the community. In this regard, it might be in your self interest to check out the community colleges in your area. If you don't have an A.A., get one. If you already have one or a higher degree, check with the art department at the community college for becoming an adjunct (part time) professor in the applied art section of instruction. Be sure to focus on your portfolio as your primary self promotion. Not going to say it will be easy, but you will learn a lot and may become associated with other working and earning artists.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Cristo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:14 pm

I'd rather learn art on my own with the help of people I meet along the way. People like yourself, who are not afraid to say what they think. I like to work in relative solitude. I'd be alone with my thoughts and pouring feelings and impressions onto my canvases. The people who would grasp and appreciate the expressions in my art would constitute my own community. If this seems extreme, it's not, because life is at the cusp of a new age.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:36 pm

Good evening Cristo. I understand. Could engage, but I won't. We all have our paths we must tread. Looking forward to your next post.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:37 pm

P.S. I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico. What part of the world do you live?
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:55 pm

I live in Texas.
Well, I worked on my "Liz" for about two hours today. People may think that I spent that time applying paint to my canvas but no. Now that I'm nearly finished painting this picture I spend more time contemplating my it and checking small details... something that can and sometimes does become lugubrious! Yet that is what I do. Will post my update in my gallery shortly.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Good morning everyone. While I consider Elizabeth finished. I am not finished.

I have made a promotional slide show on YouTube. In the search bar type in carl owen's new mexico treasures it you care to check it out.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:19 pm

Carl, I liked your slide show as well as your stories of your dogs. It's great how they lead you to your inspiration. Your paintings are evocative of the southwest.
As for an update today, I think I'm just gonna show my painting again when it's done. Some of you viewers are going "Yay!" Lol Well, hopefully I'll be done painting my Liz in a few days. If I'm not then I'll post an update! Lol
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks for taking a look. I am glad you enjoyed it. I am thinking that when I get a few more done I will post again with same title and the II after it. Kind of like Rocky II, III, IV, V, etc., if I should live that long. You know, just for the fun of it.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:28 am

I know your work is not just for fun. I'd say it's noble of you to do the work you do. When it comes down to subject matter I'd say my work is for fun maybe ten to twenty percent of the time these days. Mostly these days, my aspiration is to seize divinity, it's wavelengths, within the sweep of a pencil or a brush. Ideally, inspiration would come to me or anyone at will. Yet that is not the way of the universe as I perceive it.
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:24 am

Good morning Cristo. You are correct about my work not being just for the fun of it. Thank you for the noble comment. I think we all have seen and some of us have been a part of the man's inumanity to man feelings and actions. So, if I can help make this world a more beautify place by my helping others, actions or deeds, I shall do so. Many people enjoy looking at my paintings. To me it is a form of helping to make this a more gentiele and beautiful world that brings some pleasure to the viewers of my work. I will stop here as I know you understand the point. Just have a good day today and tomorrow and tomorrows.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 am

P.S. Type in the very top bar on your screen with the http:// entry the following, what-a-story.weebly.com, to see what I am up to if you are interested.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:37 pm

I seen it. Way to go, Carl!
Cristo

Postby Cristo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm getting to the limit of my skill as a colorist.
Attachments
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Most excellent my friend. Now, see the violet purple in her cheek? The slightly more purple part of the violet needs to be vary sparsely put in the bottom part of her iris' with very delicate blending. Get the absolute smallest brush you can find and water down the color so some of the existing blue can show through. Ad enough color in very thin layers until you see that you have really got her. Nice resizing of her right eye and the slight enlargement of her pupils is perfect. Also, nice attention to her ear.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:22 pm

Thank you Carl.
Cristo

Postby Cristo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Painted in the freezing cold today. Brrrrr. Luckily, it wasn't raining on my work area.
I worked on Liz's eyes and her hand before my feet turned into blocks of ice and I had to go inside to melt.
Update is in my gallery.
Cristo

Postby TaoofthRaven » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:45 am

She looks gorgeous. Do you like using the grid method for portraits, I'm always so apprehensive about trying it. The whole technical aspect/vibe just really puts me off or something. Makes me feel restrained.. Great piece never the less.
There is talent, and then there is SKILL. I pursue to obtain the latter..
TaoofthRaven

Postby Cristo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:09 am

Hi Sheldon, I usually don't use a grid for my portraits as a matter of pride in my ability to draw. Then sometimes it just makes more sense to use a grid. For example when I'm making a family portrait. Thank you for your commenting and your nice compliment:)
Cristo

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Look at my comments on your last liz.
CarlOwen

Postby Cristo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Update pic taken with an iphone. It shows more detail. I worked on her hand area mostly, Carl.
Cristo

PreviousNext