A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Autumnal Fire

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Autumnal Fire

Postby nigelartist » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:10 pm

Oil on canvasboard 70 x 50 cm using my new Daler Rowney brushes bought my great bro for my 50 th birthday.

Over to you guys.
Attachments
Nigel Goodwin:Artist/poet/songwriter/photographer - http://nigelgoodwin.crevado.com
nigelartist

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Autumnal Fire

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:39 am

Well, are you being contrary to the traditional off-center layout dictated by Lord - knows - who?
I'm just sayin', that tree is smack-dab in the middle...or is it? ( probably the photo?)
I love the fire in the hills, all trees and grass nicely-nice and you have sweetly colored sky and water. E
ehoeveler

Postby nigelartist » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks for the comment E. I like breaking rules.
Nigel Goodwin:Artist/poet/songwriter/photographer - http://nigelgoodwin.crevado.com
nigelartist

Postby Medved35 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 am

Very nice contrast between the frenzied Autumn fire and cool sky/water. I think in this case putting something in the center is fine because the way the rest of the painting is structured. It really pushes your eyes to the left and then it becomes a fight for supremacy between the two trees on the left. One totally entrenched in flames and the other surrounded by cool water and sky. Also, I pulled a Georg Baselitz and flipped your painting upside down and it still works! Always a good sign of a good painting.
Medved35

Postby nigelartist » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Medved35 wrote:Very nice contrast between the frenzied Autumn fire and cool sky/water. I think in this case putting something in the center is fine because the way the rest of the painting is structured. It really pushes your eyes to the left and then it becomes a fight for supremacy between the two trees on the left. One totally entrenched in flames and the other surrounded by cool water and sky. Also, I pulled a Georg Baselitz and flipped your painting upside down and it still works! Always a good sign of a good painting.

Many thanks for your encouraging and uplifting comment.

God bless.
nigelartist

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Like your vibrancy and movement (life) in the fire and the sky and water.. good contrast to the trees and cooler colors...
Only critique, and maybe its the image... but there seems to be a muted (almost grayed) tones that draw the eye... I think its the the lower part of the tree and the meadow, or flat land. its the lower left of the center tree and the grassy area... its not bad, but it detracts a bit as well.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby nigelartist » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:12 pm

jenn_iam wrote:Like your vibrancy and movement (life) in the fire and the sky and water.. good contrast to the trees and cooler colors...
Only critique, and maybe its the image... but there seems to be a muted (almost grayed) tones that draw the eye... I think its the the lower part of the tree and the meadow, or flat land. its the lower left of the center tree and the grassy area... its not bad, but it detracts a bit as well.

Thanks for your kind words. The greyed area is he flash I think. I have experimented with different flash settings and am never happy. I think it's true to say one has to see an artwork in the flesh so to speak to understand and appreciate the meaning and brushstrokes of the artwork.

God bless.

My next artwork is an acrylic...not done much in that medium so that should be challenging.
nigelartist

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:06 pm

... one has to see an artwork in the flesh...

So very true indeed... :)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby nigelartist » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:45 pm

jenn_iam wrote:
... one has to see an artwork in the flesh...

So very true indeed... :)

Thanks Jenn.
nigelartist