A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

3 Paintings for Small Works Show and Abstract Show

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

3 Paintings for Small Works Show and Abstract Show

Postby mikewheeler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:58 pm

OK, so I wanted to share a few paintings I am doing for a Small Works Show and I may put them into an Abstract Exhibition as well. They are all meant to have a space theme, but I took them all from my imagination. They are meant to resemble nebulae, star explosions, and other space events. However, I decided to put my own spin on it. I'll go through each of the quickly...

Top Left - Similar to the Horsehead Nebula how there is a "cut out" of the nebula that in their case looks like a horsehead. In this case I chose a cross in the color blue because that color is the hottest when it comes to the different colors of heat or a fire. As in the cross is the strongest source in the nebula.

Top Right - This was inspired by a picture I saw of a star explosion (nebula), but this one looked eerily similar to an eye. So this piece has an eye theme, but it still has the stars around it.

Bottom - Not a whole lot behind it as I wanted to keep this open to the viewer's imagination, but I wanted to use those light, pale, cool colors to offset how black the background is.

Also, if you notice the paintings continue around to the sides of the frame. So these paintings will not be framed, but instead they will just be wired and hung as is. I wanted to create the sense of the painting continuing into space and not having a "beginning" or an "end."

Let me know what you think or if you think I could tighten anything up before sending them off...

Mike
Attachments
mikewheeler

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: 3 Paintings for Small Works Show and Abstract Show

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Ok, I need you to quick-quick shoot me individual close-ups of these and I will help you best I can.
The eye looks good from afar but I'm having issues with the other two. One thing I do see are the stars. What you can do with them is put a radiant glow right over and around the biggies - also make a few scatterings of x-tra tiny white dots here and there to add to that Galaxy vibe. When is the show?
ehoeveler

Postby mikewheeler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Sure thing... they aren't the best quality since it is dark outside and had to use artificial lighting. I apparently have to do one at a time so here we go......
Attachments
mikewheeler

Postby mikewheeler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Attachments
mikewheeler

Postby mikewheeler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Attachments
mikewheeler

Postby mikewheeler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:16 pm

I agree I think adding some more very small dots would make it pop a little more... The show submissions need to be in by Monday at midnight. I have to teach all day tomorrow, so I will have Sunday afternoon and Monday morning to finish them.
mikewheeler

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:07 am

One has good varied color and movement but what is the round thing at the top of the lower wave? Is it an eye, planet or what? Help us to understand what it is. If it's a planet, you should fade it back so as not to compete with the wave. Another fun trick would be to mix your color with some matte gel medium to make transparent washes across your wave - will give more depth and more of a jewel-like quality. With the black space, mix some ultramarine blue with your (Ivory or Mars?) black to get a deeper black and place this color in some areas to give more of a deep space feel.
The Total Eyeball is cool. But again, I would do something fun with a gel wash - make a clear blue border around the pupil (or even green) to add excitement. And are those clouds in the eye? Make them look more like clouds.
Number Three wave has interesting color and movement but what is the blue thingie in the middle? Whatever you want it to be make it more distinct so we can understand what it is. It might be good to add a small amount of something towards the bottom of this picture, whether it be a cluster of stars or a small planet - something to give the picture balance. I know you want these to be abstracts but we still have to have somewhat of an idea as to what things are.
Mike, please let me know how the show goes and send us your final efforts. Good Luck! :D E
ehoeveler

Postby mikewheeler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:29 pm

OK E here we are the final results... the paint is a little wet and it is dark outside so don't mind the angles. I took the picture with a little less direct light so you could see the color contrasts better.

To answer some of your questions though.....

1. The top of the lower wave I made to try and look like a beginning of another star explosion. I wanted that to "pop" a little from the canvas, and since you recognized it I'm assuming that worked. If you catch how I paint, a lot of my paintings can be open to interpretation. When I paint landscapes I am more of an impressionistic style painter. I've had some people say it looks like a birth of a star, death of a star, etc.

2. I added some darker areas to the painting, but I didn't add it to the entire thing to give the impression of lighter parts of the space.

3. The eye I am pretty pleased with, and around the blue of the eye is a mix between an actual eye and cloudiness of a nebula. I added some additional colors to break it up some.

4. The thing in the middle is a cross... my inspiration behind that is the horsehead nebula. If you know how that looks you will see how that fits in.

In the first one I added some darker spots, but I am really pleased with adding a little more broken color to the piece. I feel like this helped give my style and enjoyment of impressionism to these pieces.

I hope you like them....
Attachments
mikewheeler

Postby mikewheeler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Attachments
mikewheeler

Postby mikewheeler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:30 pm

and #3