A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Lucille Ball

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Lucille Ball

Postby TaoofthRaven » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:06 pm

A Lucille Ball portrait I did for my wife. Still working on my faces/portraits, but they are getting better.

There is talent, and then there is SKILL. I pursue to obtain the latter..
TaoofthRaven

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Lucille Ball

Postby robdolbs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 pm

There is definite likeness so that aspect of the portrait is great! However, I think you need to work on your shadows with the clothing. The hat and her collar look very flat, no variation in shade. Because of this the hat looks like it is part of her hair. The hair needs to look more loose if you know what I mean, right now it is too rigid looking. You can avoid this by taking a finer pencil and adding lines in following the direction of the hair. Keep in mind that there are still shadows and highlights though. I notice that you have added highlights but you need to vary the lines since it is hair and not a solid object. Don't be afraid to follow the curve of the hair and vary the length of the highlights, so it doesn't look so much like a straight line across. Hopefully that makes sense! The only other thing that stands out to me is the pupils of her eyes. I am assuming they are white because they have a shine to them? The glint in the pupil is hardly ever directly in the center, so pay special attention to where it is and do not make it look large. The pupil should be almost all black. Personally I like to make the pupil all black and then go in at the end with a white gel pen and place it carefully. Sorry for the book! I hope it helps though, you are doing great so keep it up!
robdolbs

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:12 pm

Robyn, Thank you for that detailed, insightful critique. I'm adding her picture for a feature-check.
Thank You, 'Tooth' - definitely getting there. E
Attachments
ehoeveler

Postby johnwalkeasy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:24 pm

That's a good drawing. And a great lady to draw.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)