A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

First still life ever

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

First still life ever

Postby nananikkiii » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:21 pm

I am trying to teach myself and this is my first still life ever with absolutely no guidance.
I want to try another in the morning when I have gotten some tips.
Please be honest and tell me what I need to do to make it much better.
Attachments
nananikkiii

Re: First still life ever

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:16 am

Hi, Nicole - you are off to a good start. Just keep looking at your subjects and practicing
until you get it just the way you want it. I wish I could be more of a help but we are small staffed and
do not have the resources to teach. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby the-magnetic-cat » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:38 am

watch out for those ellipses. They don't have sharp corners, they are more rounded. Good luck! Drawing or painting something for the first time is always hard
the-magnetic-cat

Postby nananikkiii » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks both of you, this will be helpful :)
nananikkiii

Postby robdolbs » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:37 pm

I would say open up your range a bit with the shading, don't be afraid to go darker! Also, if you don't have one yet you should invest in a kneadable eraser. It will lift off graphite and allow you to make some highlights. I agree with the-magnetic-cat about needing to make the shapes rounder as well. As a whole your outline is pretty decent though, you just need to work at the shading more to bring it to life! Good job, keep it up :)
robdolbs

Postby www-ksart-se » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:54 am

robdolbs wrote:I would say open up your range a bit with the shading, don't be afraid to go darker! Also, if you don't have one yet you should invest in a kneadable eraser. It will lift off graphite and allow you to make some highlights. I agree with the-magnetic-cat about needing to make the shapes rounder as well. As a whole your outline is pretty decent though, you just need to work at the shading more to bring it to life! Good job, keep it up :)

This.

Keep it up!
www-ksart-se

Postby Aronhill » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:35 am

keep it up
Aronhill

Postby z03posh » Sun May 14, 2017 4:57 pm

robdolbs wrote:I would say open up your range a bit with the shading, don't be afraid to go darker! Also, if you don't have one yet you should invest in a kneadable eraser. It will lift off graphite and allow you to make some highlights. I agree with the-magnetic-cat about needing to make the shapes rounder as well. As a whole your outline is pretty decent though, you just need to work at the shading more to bring it to life! Good job, keep it up :)

exactly. definitely adding some contrast to it would be great. and don't shy away from adding a little of a background whether that be just a simple horizontal gradated line behind the objects to represent the edge of a table or a wall or something- that would just add a little more depth and make the objects seem more grounded and not as if they are floating in the air. :) looks great so far though
z03posh