A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Coneheaded Series....more to come

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Coneheaded Series....more to come

Postby Medved35 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Fancy subjects get debased.
Attachments
Medved35

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Coneheaded Series....more to come

Postby Medved35 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:30 pm

Dancer debased. ( X's and O's tend to show up in a lot of my paintings. They represent the game of life between, young and old, men and women, good and bad, etc.) The shape of X was not necessary used in this fashion with this particular painting, but was used as a device to bring the painting together.
Attachments
Last edited by Medved35 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Medved35

Postby Medved35 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Coneheaded #3. ( a butler,a fancy one:)
Attachments
Last edited by Medved35 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Medved35

Postby Medved35 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:37 pm

Self portrait
Attachments
Medved35

Postby Endlessfun » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Respect.

I want a key=title to each work
Anything in any way beautiful derives its beauty from itself and asks nothing beyond itself.
Praise is no part of it, for nothing is made worse or better by praise.
Homer Simpson - [Not] M.Aurelius actually
Endlessfun

Postby rhknigh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:46 pm

Interesting cones, makes me think of incense cones. Very unique and skillful renderings. The top one is the best. Your self-portrait I suspected was one right away (before reading, I tend to scan images without reading first go). Overall it is decent enough I don't have much to say about it, your titles and the paintings match, kudos on that.
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Collin, your painting is fine along with the images and layout. Colors appropo.
But the idea of Coneheads is a re-tread. Might have been pithy in the 70's but not now.
I think your paintings with your subjects as real people would be quite nice and interesting
as they are. I do encourage artists to use more modern and creative imagery when
designing a concept. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby Medved35 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks for the responses and input. To be honest, the faces were having to much control. So I painted their faces out ( the top image being the first) and then I started adding the pink to the pant legs and arms. I was stripping them of their control. The pink arm in the first image became the only angular shape in the painting and thus it had to much control so i had to balance it out. And that's where the pink angular head came into play. The faces were being dicks to me anyway so it seemed fitting. ( I apologize for the crude wording but it was necessary) The only thing that is really a re-tread is the title and wording of the subjects which I could really care less. They can be called untitled 1,2,3 etc. for all i care. In fact, only when i was considering what to name them did I think of the tv skit/movie which is why i went with Coneheaded and not Coneheads. I've added a painting below with the faces attached. Different style, more detailed. But in my opinion, a worse painting.
Attachments
Medved35

Postby rhknigh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Coneheaded are then de-faced. I see. Thanks for sharing.
Rebecca Knight, representing artist Tanya Davis & author of a blog celebrating creativity:

rhknigh
Writer

Articles: 26

Postby Endlessfun » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:28 am

Medved35 wrote:Thanks for the responses and input. To be honest, the faces were having to much control. So I painted their faces out ( the top image being the first) and then I started adding the pink to the pant legs and arms. I was stripping them of their control. The pink arm in the first image became the only angular shape in the painting and thus it had to much control so i had to balance it out. And that's where the pink angular head came into play. The faces were being dicks to me anyway so it seemed fitting. ( I apologize for the crude wording but it was necessary) The only thing that is really a re-tread is the title and wording of the subjects which I could really care less. They can be called untitled 1,2,3 etc. for all i care. In fact, only when i was considering what to name them did I think of the tv skit/movie which is why i went with Coneheaded and not Coneheads. I've added a painting below with the faces attached. Different style, more detailed. But in my opinion, a worse painting.

Your 3 kids picture is unimaginative - prosaic sure enough but texturally more interesting and having identifiable features work fine on there just that the 3 amigos hair needs to be pushed back/neutralized a little more (red bib&brace overall too). Use your digital copy and a paint program to select the areas then dicky around – its a tool after all. If you could marry your two styles I think it would be satisfying.

Your concern about facial features in the cone head series are easily remedied, abstract them the same way as you have the figures. Tell the picture who’s boss.

Another thing a title helps understand your work
Anything in any way beautiful derives its beauty from itself and asks nothing beyond itself.
Praise is no part of it, for nothing is made worse or better by praise.
Homer Simpson - [Not] M.Aurelius actually
Endlessfun

Postby Medved35 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks again for the constructive criticism. Endless, some really solid stuff there. I haven't played with my work on the computer in years and it might be about time. Just been shooting and pasting. As for the the faces, I'm willing to give it another go. Abstracting them so they'll correlate with the rest of the painting will be quite challenging and hopefully rewarding. But as your slogan says, Arts a bitch it will break your heart. This really is a great community and it's refreshing to be around fellow artists again even if it is via the internet. Been isolated in the garage for the past 4 years.
Medved35