A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Leaving Hell's Forty Acres

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Leaving Hell's Forty Acres

Postby lorenzo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:56 pm

“Leaving Hells Forty Acres” is a depiction based when the U.S. government attempted to move the Chiricahua Apache from their traditional homeland to the San Carlos Reservation, a barren wasteland in east-central Arizona, described as "Hell's Forty Acres," now known as Old San Carlos.Geronimo leads his warriors southward to Mexico and freedom.

“That was the worst place in all the great territory stolen from the Apaches. If anybody had ever lived there permanently, no Apache knew of it. Where there is no grass there is no game. Nearly all of the vegetation was cacti; and though in season a little cactus fruit was produced, the rest of the year food was lacking. The heat was terrible. The insects were terrible. The water was terrible. What there was in the sluggish river was brackish and warm. Pools along side the channel afforded places for insects to hatch. They served, as I know now, as breeding places for clouds of mosquitoes. Insects and rattlesnakes seemed to thrive there; and no White Eye could possibly fear and dislike snakes more than do Apaches. There the thermometer would have registered well above 120 degrees. At San Carlos, for the first time within the memory of any of my people, the Apaches experienced the shaking sickness (malaria).”

(Chiricahua Apache man exiled to Florida and later educated at Carlisle Industrial School.)
Attachments
lorenzo

Re: Leaving Hell's Forty Acres

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:15 am

This is wonderful!
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby lorenzo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 am

Thank you. If you look closely, there is a ford barely visible above the rider on the right. just left of the there is where the old foundations of the barracks, stockade, church, etc. can still be seen when the San Carlos Lake is at low level. The lake is impounded by Coolidge Dam, completed in 1928.
lorenzo

Postby SidneyEileen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:01 am

Fantastic! I particularly like the details, like the quail. I can't think of anything to critique. I really enjoy your paintings.
The day we stop learning about art is the day we stop making art.
SidneyEileen
Writer

Articles: 3
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby lorenzo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Thank you Sidney. The quails were somewhat of a challenge, not painting them but whether I should give their wings a moving effect or gliding.
lorenzo

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury