A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

WIdow of evony

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

WIdow of evony

Postby Cancer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 am

Hey guys,

this is painting nr 14 and portrait nr 4. I have had no training at all. Think they are getting better. let me know what you think.
Attachments
Cancer

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: WIdow of evony

Postby Singular » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:20 am

Definitely one of, if not your very best. You are improving with every new work you do.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Cancer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:13 am

Thank you, that is good to know, that I am making progress.
Cancer

Postby kickinbear » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:37 am

This is one of the loveliest "ugly" paintings I have seen lately. It takes technique to get that renaisance fabric and accessory detail and still make a portrait with "warts and all". Keep working on those details like fabric and the pearls. definition, sheen, richness in the fabric will all make the image compelling to look at. The protrait part is just about there, she is not beautiful, but the image is. You have done what many artists never do; make the viewer look when their first impulse is to look away.
kickinbear

Postby Cancer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:28 am

I dont know if i should take this as a compliment or insult, but will definitely take the advice given:)
Cancer

Postby kickinbear » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Absolutely a compliment. Not many people today have the ability or insight to replicate the look of renaisance paintings, especially Italian portraits. I'm sorry if I sounded offensive. My art history prof. just always called these men and women "the uglies you can't look away from". The surface and details were so perfect that you could spend an hour looking at them but the person on first glance was "ugly" and you felt uncomfortable staring at them.
They were real people, not the photoshopped perfect people we are used to seeing today. And we were all taught it's impolite to ster. Most painters today don't even try to get the surface and detail you're working toward.
kickinbear

Postby Cancer » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:20 am

:D Well tnx Kickinbear, and I did not take offense at all, indeed I crave constructive criticism so i can improve my painting. I been painting for about 18 months now, and strive to get to the likes of Rob hefferan and Rubén Belloso Adorna. So i really enjoyed your input:)
Cancer

Postby trillian » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:08 am

:D You've been painting for 18 months and you can paint such a realistic portrait. This is fantastic.
trillian

Postby Cancer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:05 pm

:D Thank you Trillian, it is encouraging to know I am getting something right
Cancer