A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Rough Seas

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Rough Seas

Postby demac » Sun May 08, 2011 10:12 am

Hi all

not been on for a while as I haven't been painting anything as illness took over for a while but getting there now

Could you let me know what you think. Acrylics on 30x20" canvas board

Deanne
Scotland
Attachments
Rough Seas-1.jpg
Rough Seas-1.jpg (190.45 KiB)
demac

Postby BYart » Mon May 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi there Deanne!Godd to see you back, and i hope you are feeling better!

I like this painting for it's sense of drama and movement! i think you've done a great job on those things!
I like your colors as well!
I do however, think you might achieve a better sense of depth if you would darken the crashing wave on the viewer's left where it hits the far back rock as I don't think we would "see" it quite as white. maybe using some purples or grays, as well as a dark teal, might work.
I am a bit confused as to the wave on the left. i think you are trying to portray that crashing wave closer to the viewer than the area that crashes over the ship?
I like the concept, if correct, but as it stands, it looks a bit like a waterfall...sorry, don't mean to offend, and i'm not sure if a change in the perspective of that wave would work(keeping my assumed goal of yours in mind).
I actually think that the composition might be better served by removing that wave, and repainting it to just crash over the ship? Showing more of the ship? Not sure if that can be done at this point?
Whatever you decide, I'm sure will be grand! And again, these are just my observations, and water is certainly NOT my strong point. So please take my suggestions as they are, just suggestions from someone who is still learning as well! :wink:
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby demac » Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 am

I'm glad to be back and some of the art on here is spectacular. Not affended in anyway - this is my first landscape of the sea and was working on more of the drama and the effect. the wave at the back is more for movement of the eye but thank you for the comments

Glad to speak to you
Deanne
demac

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury