A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Hello everyone, newbie here!

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello everyone, newbie here!

Postby stevem » Fri May 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and thought I would give you a little look at what I do. Please tell me what you think about it. These are the first in the body of work I call The Emotion of Hands. This first piece is called Gifted Hands. The second piece is called Independence. I have a few more pieces i will post for your C&C later.

Thanks,
Steve
Attachments
Indgranite3.jpg
Indgranite3.jpg (16.08 KiB)
GiftedHands II.jpg
GiftedHands II.jpg (20.41 KiB)
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired. -Robert Strauss
stevem

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Singular » Fri May 26, 2006 5:07 pm

Hello Steve,
Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing your work.

I am torn on "Gifted Hands". I want to like it and I kind of do, but what it lacks for me is a meaning, or maybe I should say what it means to me isn't effectively executed. When I look at it and the idea of gifted hands, I think of one hand caressing another and appreciating something special and warm. I don't believe the material you used is effective in portraying the theme. Maybe a a softer stone or a clay would have worked better to create the feeling I am after. Other than that, I think the craftmanship is very good. You did very well with the detail and proportion from what I can tell in a picture. As a fellow artist, I know the picture rarely does it justice.

"Independence" I like a lot. You did well to capture a feeling of desperation and struggle for freedom. The veins in the hands show the actual tension used in trying to pull himself up. The detail is wonderful. Hats off on this one. Excellent.

Best Regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby stevem » Sat May 27, 2006 8:58 am

Hey Joe, thanks for the comments. I appreciate your opinions. Allthough I believe "good" art shouldn't need a written definition of what it stands for, here is what I was intending this piece to depict.

Gifted Hands displays the special gift between a father and
son. The
onze represents the strength of relationship. The
child's hand holding the adult hand displays how strong the
relationship is from the child's perspective, and the classic
marble patina is representative of the timeless relationship in itself.

I must have missed the boat a little on this one. Well thanks for looking and great forum you have started here. Look forward to frequenting it regularly.
Steve
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired. -Robert Strauss
stevem

Postby lisan88 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:45 pm

I would both agree and disagree with previous comment on "Gifted Hands", I think the material choice is perfect however the sizr of the thumb in relation to the hand makes it feel like the larger hand is pinning the smaller one down. I like the concept a lot and think it is a beautiful sentiment. I liked it much more a first glance than as i studied it more i felt more conflicted.

Independance shows so much. I love it! I know the feeling exactly.
Elissa A Jones
Lisan Gallery of Art and Design
West St Paul, MN 55102
lisan88

Postby Sean » Wed May 31, 2006 11:31 am

I sure like "independance." I sometimes feel like I'm sinking into the granite around me, too. It suggests a story, for me. Like a person, crushed by the granite slabs of doom and failure, found something in it to hang on to and is only now resurfacing like a buoy after a tsunami. Very nice as a picture, and I'm sure even more striking in person.
Buy the boat!
Sean

Postby SONIC » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:29 pm

:idea:
Hey Steve.
The most important thing is you steeled yourself and
put forth your work for critique.

As far as the first piece is concerned,
it was beautifully executed but
lacks dynamism.

Scale and viewpoint really need to be addressed
if you want to create an impact.

This is a rather typical, or if you prefer classical pose.

It doesn't really say much about you as an artist.

You are right, the parental bond is a beautiful one and hard to pin down.

However, if you set out to meet that challenge then
it must be felt viscereally.

You need to create in the viewer a passion and a connection
to emotion.

Enough about that.
You have a gift and it comes through alot stronger in your
second piece.

It is quietly powerful.
For me it represents two views at once.

It for me represents Light and Dark.
It could be taken as someone being pulled
in or fighting to get out.

That could be construed as 'Free-Will'.

Interesting dichotomy in one piece.

Remember Steve, for the most part symmetricity
spells boredom.

Once again masterful use of the medium,
Search for the most powerful view
and go for it.

The point about soft vs: hard is a valid one.

I wish you a Wonderful Career.
Peace.
TO KNOW ME IS TO KNOW THYSELF.
JOY IS WITHIN AND WHEN IT IS SO
IT WILL BE NOT ONLY MANIFESTED
WITHOUT BUT FELT THERE AS WELL.
PEACE~ BILL 5ONIC GUIDE
MODERNMYSTERYSCHOOL.COM
SONIC

Postby stevem » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:53 am

Thanks everyone for the responses. That's the best thing about being an artist and talking to other artists. You actually get a new perspective
(sometimes you get too close to your work and and get caught up in it) and if you keep an open mind you get to grow from it.

Thanks alot people,
Steve
stevem

Postby johnwalkeasy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Steve, Would like to have made an objective conment. But made the mistake of reading the other replys. The next time I'll reply frist. Then read the other replys. "Gifted Hands" For me, the work speaks very quick. And speaks of a sudject nobody cares about. This kills the work. The workmanship is good. The 2nd piece, I forgot to write down the title, Wants to tell a story. Thier are things to look at and think about to know this story. Also, thier is no stand. The stand is part of the work. Also your name, I think, is chicel by hand in the work. And the workmanship is great. By the way, I can't spell. LOL
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Problem is in your titles.

Postby sasha_louie » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:34 am

Steve,
As much as I can tell, you have an amassing potential, and because you are so good you probably can take real criticism (or so I hope). You wanted to get some fury, right? ;0) Here it goes. First of all I think both of the pieces are very good, BUT.... BOTH of them have really bad titles. Title of the work should contribute to the piece, tell or continue to tell a story. I didn't feel any shiver going down my spine after combining your works with the titles your have although the works are well done. The first sculpture has some technical problems I think: 1) The adult’s part of the arm doesn’t seam to go… the child’s hand is supposed to be baby’s judging by the size, although it looks like the child should be older… and the title…. Gifted is not the word. Which one of those hands is gifted? The adult’s hand or the child’s? It isn’t clear. Even though you can make an argument – something like – you decide… I don’t think this kind of argument will cut in this situation. Second sculpture: Extremely well done. I see struggle, but not independence per say. I see more of a frustration. Independence straggle, in my opinion, has more movement and muscle to it - like rising shoulders or more of a body than just a top of a head. Unsuggested struggle would be more fitting for this work - if you want the viewers to decide. Over all it is great work, Steve. Please don’t think I want to put you down with my comments. I wouldn’t comment on the work that doesn’t have potential, trust me. I think you have it. Work harder! not only with your hands but also be attuned to the emotions and meaning of the life. It looks like humanity needs artists that can relate. Some have technique but loose the meaning in their work, some have meaning but have absolutely no technique. Seams like you have both! Don’t stop learning.
Alex
sasha_louie

HMMM

Postby Michaelblade » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 am

I'm a great sculptor and see nothing wrong.But pictures are deceiving.You are a world class artist.Thanks for showing the work.
The Real Blade
Michaelblade

Postby NanMac » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:47 am

My first reaction was Awww. It jolted me right off with its meaning. I got it. I saw the gentle stroke of the thumb of the larger hand. I have done that same thumb caress to a child's hand so many times. I immediately saw the caring.

The drama of the second piece also immediately caught me and I responded there too with a "Oh I know how that feels".

I think the work is good. It stands on its own, communicates well, and inspired a feeling of kinship and recognition. The material used works for me.
“Most of us, when all is said and done, like what we like and make up reasons for it afterwards.â€
NanMac

Postby stevem » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:09 pm

Wow! thanks for the compliments. World class! huh? Well I don't know about that but I do love what I do and just hope I can continue to make strides in advancing my art. Thanks for all the looks and comments.
Steve
stevem