A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

compostionally interesting?

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

compostionally interesting?

Postby Jody » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:57 pm

I want to know if the composition of this piece is good. I can take the pain. I really want the nitpicky details. Should it be rotated ? Jody
Attachments
Roughneck.jpg
Roughneck.jpg (87.8 KiB)
Jody

Postby Singular » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:15 pm

I don't think it should be rotated. The composition is very interesting. What is the medium?

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Jody » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:29 pm

Watercolor. The darks don't appear as dark here as they really are but other than that it is fairly well represented.

No other pieces of helpful advice? I was wondering about the light square area at the bottom. Is it too big?
Jody

Postby Singular » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:06 pm

I do have some words. I just wanted to find out the medium so I new all of the info.

I am assuming the light area at the bottom left is some sort of desk or table, right? I do not think it is too big. It is actually quite interesting. You have created a nice looking texture and the lighting and color are also very good.

The issue I have is not with the composition, but with the perspective or depth of objects. It is hard for me to differentiate where the objects are in relation to others on the vertical plane. Everything seems to be painted with the same contrast and strength. I am not sure how much higher his arm is than the rest of his body and where they are in relation to the ground and other objects. His left hand seems to have the same strength of contrast and lighting as his right. His clothes also have the same detail and contrast from his shoulder to his waist. The ground is also very strong even though it is farthest from our site. The shadows would probably be a bit softer and deeper.

Sorry to ramble. You seem like you want detailed criticism and I like to talk. I think this is very well done. I can tell you paint with passion. That is why everything is so strong.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby Jody » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:45 pm

I see what you are saying. As I looked at it on this site I was having problems with his clothing also. You are right the depth is not there.

I do want detailed criticism. If I don't know it's
oken I can't fix it. We tend to see what we intend to paint and it's not always there to someone else.

I am going to put it aside for a couple of days and then take a fresh look at it. I think I can work on the depth issue if I let it rest awhile.

Thank you for your help and I am glad you like to talk. I am new to this site and haven't figured all of it out yet. Do you have your work here and if so how do I find it?[/img]
Jody

Postby Singular » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:00 pm

I have a few of my images on the user gallery. You can upload your images also and create and manage your personal albums. If you click the "gallery" icon at the bottom of my post, you will see some of my work. I haven't painted in a long while as I have been extremely busy. But I look forward to it so much. I can't wait to get back into it. I have a painting that I started over five years ago that is sitting in my house waiting to be worked on. Maybe I'll post a few pictures of it in the "Works in Progress" forum.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby nina » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:20 pm

His left hand. If it falls below the table on his right side...a bit of shadow on the side and on top will give it a better depth....looks like an easy fix and that should balance the picture more....just my suggestion :)
nina

Postby Jody » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Thank you for your responses. I have worked on it and think it has a bit more depth. Waiting for your ideas before I say much as I don't want to point out something you may not notice. It shows up a bit murky here in the dark area below his arm but I dont' see it here in real life. I think it is the flash
Attachments
new 1-14-07.jpg
new 1-14-07.jpg (73.68 KiB)
Jody

Postby Singular » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:34 pm

The small changes you made make a world of difference. I can now really see that his head and upper body are much closer to me than his feet. The depth is there.

great work,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby Singular » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:44 am

Hey Jody,
I split your post so that your new painting has a thread of its own. Here it is: http://asingularcreation.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=560

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder