A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Mother and Child

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think it is good enough for competition entry?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 3

Mother and Child

Postby Cancer » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:10 am

I Have done this oil on canvas of a Himba Mother and child. I want to enter it in a competition. so please be harsh with your critique. Even if you feel it is not good for the competition, feel free to say so. This is only my seventh painting.
Attachments
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 008.jpg (121.09 KiB)
Cancer

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby arlenemurals » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:13 am

I love the rendering of the baby ,,, there are a few things you can work out with the mother. I like how you have darkened her lips in the last picture posted they were too light, they seem and tad off center though. if you look closely they do not line up with her nose . I would also highlight her eyelids slightly in the center. They seems bit flat to me. Did you work from life on this or a photo? If you post the photo it would be easier to critique.. Otherwise it is good and has a mood and feel to it that is very warm and genuine
arlenemurals

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:36 am

The painting has a very good feel to it. The baby looks great. But there are some technical problems with the mother's face. Arlene already pointed out some. A 3/4 portrait is not easy to do. There are some basic structural problems with the face that I don't know if they can be corrected well at this stage. I'd suggest start over with the face if possible. Her jawline is not well defined on my left. The right is missing. A good chunk of her face is missing on the right. There are lots of tutorials on the net or books on how to draw a face. I would suggest you do some sketches until you get a feel for anatomy and proportions. Hope you don't mind the criticism. Once you work out the basics, you'll produce some really good work. You're very talented, just need some practice.
Erika Takacs

Postby Cancer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Arlene,Sorry to come back only now, but I was sick with infection in the kindneys. Tnx for the comments you made on my painting. I am still new at painting and do appreciate any help. I also noticed the the centre line between the nose and mouth not perfect, but that was only after I uploaded my picture. I will fix it. You asked for the pic i worked from, so I decided to post it.
Attachments
Himba1.jpg
Himba1.jpg (66.32 KiB)
Cancer

Postby Cancer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Erika, Of cource I dont mind the criticism. I asked for it didnt I? I believe you need criticism in order to improve your work, doesnt matter what you do. I will definitely look up some tutorials and practice harder.
Cancer

Postby agrajtech12 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:33 am

Hi..really your art is so nice and creative..but i think still you work on shape of nose ..it looks bit
oad than original pic..
agrajtech12

Postby Cancer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks agrajtech12, I have been working on the nose a little and will post a new pic soon. I tried to keep as close as possible to the pic, but as i only been painting in April I am still struggling a little, this is why I ask for input. To become better.
Cancer

Good Morning

Postby Michael Ortega » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:11 am

Your use of color is excellent...obviousley the face is kinda "torqued"...but you will do better next time I'm sure...

It's a wonderful piece considering your experiance level! Keep up the good work and remember to post some more!
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

Postby Cancer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:37 am

Micheal, thanks for the encouragement. I have been working and do believe that her face is looking better now.
Cancer

Postby Cancer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:41 am

After some more work
Attachments
Mother.jpg
This is her now
Mother.jpg (84.49 KiB)
Cancer