A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

I need to know if I'm wasting my time

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

I need to know if I'm wasting my time

Postby deabethart » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Everyone keeps saying how much they love my paintings, but I have yet to sell one. Besides that. I look at others paintings and they're so good! :(
I want opinions from people who AREN'T my friends. So I've posted one of my favorites. Thank in advance!
Attachments
GREY SKY MORNING.jpg
GREY SKY MORNING.jpg (37.6 KiB)
deabethart

Gallery: View Gallery

Good Morning

Postby Michael Ortega » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Selling art and being an accomplished artist are two different things. If you want to sell art you need to identify a market and tailor your art to fill that niche. Some artists already fill a niche becouse that is what they do. But, if you want to sell and so far no dice, you have to look at your market. It's really no different than selling widgets.

Your work is nice, but you need some direction. Buy some books or vids on painting technique and define your style. Go to the art galleries in your area and take notice of what they have on their walls...that will tell you a lot.

Above all, be true to yourself. Selling art is not what art is all about...it does help tho 8)
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Only you can answer your question honestly. Art can be done as a hobby or as a profession. But it should never feel like a waste of time. Michael makes some good points there. I looked at your other works, if you'd like to sell them as artwork I'd say start by multiplying the amount by 10. Your landscapes have some surrealistic feel to them, I think you should develop that further as it seems to come naturally to you. I'm sure you'll find buyers when you finetune them. The basics are there, but you need to explore, develop, perfect the style further with the help of books, sketches and forums like this where you will find some wonderful painters willing to help. It all comes down to practice and hard work. Good luck in your journey, if you hang in there, there will be rewards.
Erika Takacs

Postby deabethart » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:28 pm

thanks guys. I have more pieces to post, I'm still working on that. I can honestly understand what you're saying. I'm finding out that I do better with more abstracts and I enjoy myself more when I don't care so much about the details. Problem is...I'm a perfectionist. So it's really hard for me because I want to do the nicer paintings and I get discouraged when they come out...not so good. But, I appreciate your opinions, and I will try to develop my absract skill. It's only been three months since I really started practicing, anyways! :)
deabethart

Postby bpier » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Michael has some very goods points as does Erika espaecially when she said it all comes down to practice and hard work. It takes a long time to develope a style. If we paint only for the commercial value of our art, then we are painting for the wrongs reasons and our art will suffer. For the most part we paint or sculpt or draw because that is who we are. It's as important to us as the air we
eath. We do it because we have to.
When I was trying to develope a style that was unique to me I spent countless hours of practice and study. Nothing worthwhile come easy, at least not for most of us. I looked at your work and you have a good foundation to build on. You need to develope it further. Find what you love to do the most whether that be realism, impressionist or abstract. There are many good books and courses on dvd that can be very helpful. Find artists that you admire and learn from their technique and style. It all comes down to practice, study and hard work...but it is never a waste of time.
Best regards...Brian
bpier

Postby johnwalkeasy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Deab, The bad news is, if your an artist at heart. You will be doing art work for the rest of your life. No matter what. The good news is, if your an artist at heart. You will be doing art work for the rest of your life. No matter what. You have no choice about it. If your not. You'll move on to other things. Being an artist is about the most unfun thing thier could be. You spen a lot of time alone. People drift away from you. You'll spend a lot of time feeling sorry for yourseft. Somtimes you'll just get plan mad about the whole thing. For most of us. The day will never come that will make that change. But at the same time. Thier can be no better fulfilling thing as a completed work of art. To know that you have created somthing. Given life to somthing. Put somthing in this world that was not there before. It is a drug that an artist has to have. Art is not about art galliers and art shows. It,s not about who think,s this is good or that is bad. It,s not about being better than someone else. It,s about life and death. It,s about giving somthing back to this world. And leaving works of art to live on after we have trun to dust. I started doing art work at age 30. That was 32 years ago. Before that time my life was emty. For the last 32 years my life has been full. If your an artist. You will come to know. That thier is a better thing than making money.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby weirdpuckett » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Funny-I ask myself the same question many times but the answer always is NO! I come to the conclusion that art is for the artist first and foremost . . .If we don't absolutely love doing it then ,chances are ,it wasn't worth doing in the first place . . . Van Gogh only sold paintings to his
other when he was alive . . .but now look at his stuff! I'm not saying one has to wait till he/she dies before their art is recognized, but it is quite a possibility isn't it? The important thing to me is how you approach art and for what reason . . .mike
weirdpuckett

Postby deabethart » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

I'm just afraid that my stuff looks incredibly amateur, and if someone (even one person!) were to like a piece enough to pay money for it, it would make me believe in myself a little bit more. I really enjoy painting...I just don't want people to look at my things and think "She's not very good..." :(
deabethart

Postby BoomerNavy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:55 am

I have been doing this for many years as a commercial artist and if I had a nickel for every art director that rejected my work on the first impression I would be a millionaire.

Keep something in mind. Art is very subjective and is a matter of personal taste and interest. Never, ever, under any circumstances allow anyone to dissuade from continuing your artistic pursuits. You must also be realistic. I started out wanting to be the next Norman Rockwell but as you mature and accept your abilities you will figure out what route to take and what markets to pursue.

Just keep painting and drawing and put your ojectives into a realistic context. Believe me, there are a lot of talented people who never get discovered just as there are a lot of mediocre talents that because of fate and who they know end up making it to the top.

By the way; consider attending and taking some art classes in your local area. There is nothing better than professional direction and mild criticism. There are a lot of people with high opinions of themselves that think they know about art. The snobs have always hated Andrew Wyeth but if you can not handle criticism this is not the profession to be in. Negative comments should be the driving force behind you getting better at your craft unfortunately we have people whos criticisms are worth as much as their shallow personalities and ego's which are worth nothing.
Attachments
Hour Glass Icon .jpg
Just an illustration of mine
Hour Glass Icon .jpg (190.78 KiB)
BoomerNavy

Postby roxy-foxy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:02 am

Hi there, first of all art is as much about the process as it is abut the result. If you realy realy enjoy painting, then there is nothing that should stop you. Does everybody listen to exactly the same style of music? There will always be those who like your work and those who don't. And then ofcourse there are those who will never admit they like it. Besides that, the question we should be asking ourselves when we look at artworks is not only do I like it, but does it speak something to me. Good artworks are not only those that are beautifull but also those that are thought provoking.
Selling is always difficult. I usualy have queues of people wanting me to paint portraits for them, but the majority are not willing to pay even half the price they woud pay for a pair of shoes. Never mind that a painting is an original, lasting for centuries, while the shoes are a "copy" lasting for a season.
From what I see here I think you are a promising artist. You are not wasting your time if you like doing what you do.
Anelia
roxy-foxy