A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

New style

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

New style

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:09 am

What do you think of these? I enjoy making them, but have no idea how people would react to them. They're extremely skinny. :)

The first one I called Matrix-girl, because her stance reminds me of the movie. The second one is titled Carefree.
Attachments
Movementback.jpg
Movementback.jpg (69.43 KiB)
Movementfront.jpg
Movementfront.jpg (52.92 KiB)
Matrix1.jpg
Matrix1.jpg (120.16 KiB)
Erika Takacs

Postby krysta11 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:48 am

Hello my friend E.T.,

Holly Molly!!! New style and great style!!!

Erika I can't believe my eyes how beautiful your sculptures are. I think this is very modern style and very unique. I love it E.!! I love it!!
You are a wonderful artist. Great style! Great idea!
The only suggestion I have is :

The figures look very , very delicate , "fragile" , beautiful, and I think You should work a bit more on the base. Something like colorful or creamy flowers created from the same material used for girls. You can always find a tiny rock which you can place in the middle of the flower to make it heavy and stable. It is only my suggestion.
Love your sculptures very much.
all the best E.
K.
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby BYart » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:12 pm

I like the style Erika. It's movement and delicate line is unique and I really like it.
I would disagree with changing the base, as I think it would detract from the simplicity of the style.
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

I like

Postby pehiatt » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:53 pm

These have real power and would fit into works by big players. Keep it up.
pehiatt

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Krysta, thanks for the idea for the base, I might use it for a future, more girly girl. Yeah, I'll definitely use it!

Barb, I forgot to mention, that base is just a temporary base, I thought it didn't work with the piece. I'll try a taller rectangular piece of wood. She would have more presence on an elevated base I suppose.

Patrick, thank you for liking them. You really see power in them? I thought they were just decorative fun pieces. Maybe in a year or two I'll have enough skill to start on my more serious ideas. I can't wait, and your works are great inspiration.
Erika Takacs

The power of motion

Postby pehiatt » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:55 am

Light hearted yes but they have power in their fluid motion. They make one want to join in the dance. Very alluring; they draw you in.

You might think of a flat stone for a base, perhaps with a slight incline. Drill a small hole in the stone with a masonry bit to receive the armature. These are simple forms so keep the base simple.
pehiatt

Re: The power of motion

Postby BYart » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:12 am

I realized that Erika. I just meant that to establish her on a too embellished base, IMO, would detract from the beauty in the simplicity, that's all I meant.
But, I am sure you will decide on something that is just perfect!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby rips10 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:09 am

Wow!! ,It is a real great style (new).So full with life.Every figure is dancing with singing , showing the power of creativity.Best luck for you.
rips10

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Erika, This work looks very good to me. Their better than you think. Perhaps the so is a better time table than the year. A base is always an issue with sculpture. It can rarely add to a work. The best we can shoot for is to try not and take away from the efect of the work. With small work such as this. Thier are ways to deal with that. One way is to have two figures together. Another way is to have the figure sitting or laying down. Another way is to use a hollow ring for a stand. And still another way is to use a round glass stand. Never use a square stand for human figure work like this. It always clashes with the form of the work.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:41 pm

Thank you Rippy and John. Yes, I agree with what you say John about bases, this one's purpose here was to make her stand while I took pics. I was going to try a one piece tall wood base, but Patrick's stone base sounds even better. If I only knew where to find such a stone. The pieces are ridiculously light, need a heavy base for a little bit of respect. :)

Here's the first one I made in this series, I'll remake it because I like what it represents, but it's crude or unbalanced compared to the others I think.
Attachments
Free3.jpg
Free3.jpg (39.49 KiB)
Free1.jpg
Free1.jpg (67.83 KiB)
Erika Takacs

Postby rips10 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:03 am

and I think the first one is perfect for the base and too me the squre is giving the piece more beauty,in every work if some opposite things,shapes,colores are used creats velues.Best luck again.
rips10

Postby Riaan Marais » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:30 am

I like these figures. They are beautiful and sensual.
Well, why are we here if not to create?
Riaan Marais

Postby bpier » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:27 am

These are very very good Erika............Brian
bpier

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks Riaan and Brian.
Erika Takacs

Postby Michellegj » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:37 am

Hi I'm new to ASC. I work in paints but have a secret desire to try sculpting whic I give into on rare occasions.

What I see here is movement and fluidity.

I enjoyed looking at the first set of pieces but when you put the second set on the square platforms I was further captivated. Now they have a greater sense of movement and energy. The look as tough they are about to take off.Iespecially like the ballerina.

I think i'm going to share this link with my art students who are interested in sculpture.
Well done!
Greta
Michellegj

Postby Michellegj » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:38 am

What materials did you use here?
Greta
Michellegj

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Michellegj wrote:Hi I'm new to ASC. I work in paints but have a secret desire to try sculpting whic I give into on rare occasions.

What I see here is movement and fluidity.

I enjoyed looking at the first set of pieces but when you put the second set on the square platforms I was further captivated. Now they have a greater sense of movement and energy. The look as tough they are about to take off.Iespecially like the ballerina.

I think i'm going to share this link with my art students who are interested in sculpture.
Well done!

Hi Greta, welcome to ASC. Give in to your secret desire sometime. :) Yes, I feel they need to be elevated to be effective. If you want to share this with your students, here's the link to my blog entry, where I posted the armature as well:
http://erikatakacs.wordpress.com/2008/1 ... sculpture/
I used papier mache for these girls.
Erika Takacs

Postby krysta11 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi E.

It is amazingly great job you did. Congratulation darling! I am very sure , that the next one will amaze us again.

all the best
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11