A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

"Sea of Sand"

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

"Sea of Sand"

Postby BYart » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:27 pm

Acrylic on canvas, my latest.
Sorry about still on the easel, but I'm still looking at it to see where I can improve. I like this type of landscape(desert scene), as I spent most of my life in the desert...did this from my memory. Image doesn't reflect the strength of the colors, sorry.
Thoughts?
Attachments
Sea of Sand#4.jpg
Sea of Sand#4.jpg (119.02 KiB)
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Harmonygirl » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:12 am

Awesome job Barb, like always...... you should be proud.

Hugs
shannon
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl

Postby krysta11 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:26 am

Hello Barb,
I am looking at your painting the second time and thinking what to tell you about this work.

1. You are very good in this style.
2. Rocks look very real.
3. Fantastic colors and good perspective.
I like it very much. The only one thing is bordering me a bit. Without living creatures IMO this painting is lifeless. I would add lizard having sun bath, or birds or even snake crawling on the sand.
all the best B.
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby stirling » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:47 am

I think Krysta has a good point,but very nicely painted.

Best from mike.
stirling

Postby arlynnhr » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:49 am

Yes, I must agree with Krysta also.
arlynnhr

Postby Jundo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi Bard,
I like your style and passion for art but if I could offer some constructive critisism about the piece.

Your form and composition are heading in the right direction but the picture is lacking in colour and contract. This should be a high contrast piece. It looks like a hot dessert scene and the light should reflect that. If you add some hard (and I mean hard) contract of highlights (some real pastel
owns, red's, pink's and whites). Add some real shadow to it too!

If I can be so bold as to suggest barb... Stop playing safe!!!! Grab the paint
ush and play with colors! Examine and study them and get really stuck in!

The rocks you've drawn are not a miriad of
owns...if you examine them you'll find greens, purples, reds etc,etc...

I'm saying this because I see a spark and a passion in you as an artist but I think your style is safe... Get bold, and really go for it!
Jundo

Postby krysta11 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi Barb and Jundo,

I wish to have such constructive reply on my art from artist like you Jundo.
Very honest and educational.

All the best
krysta
krysta11

Postby BYart » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Jundo wrote:Hi Bard,
I like your style and passion for art but if I could offer some constructive critisism about the piece.

Your form and composition are heading in the right direction but the picture is lacking in colour and contract. This should be a high contrast piece. It looks like a hot dessert scene and the light should reflect that. If you add some hard (and I mean hard) contract of highlights (some real pastel
owns, red's, pink's and whites). Add some real shadow to it too!

If I can be so bold as to suggest barb... Stop playing safe!!!! Grab the paint
ush and play with colors! Examine and study them and get really stuck in!

The rocks you've drawn are not a miriad of
owns...if you examine them you'll find greens, purples, reds etc,etc...

I'm saying this because I see a spark and a passion in you as an artist but I think your style is safe... Get bold, and really go for it!

Jundo,
I want to really thank you for your constructive critism! It is EXACTLY what has been bothering me about this piece, and I plan on changing that tomorrow.
No excuses, BUT, I am working with a ridiculous set of cheap acrylics (
and name "Art Color") and I belive that with proper paints, I will have better results. Please do not misunderstand, I think your suggestions are spot on! And I will try to incorporate your well found advice, but, tomorrow I am going to treat myself to a decent set of acrylics. I have found that even with a medium, these paints don't flow or mix well. The pigment lays out a completely different hue that what represents when dry. I know from studying that that can be true in some acrlic paints, and I hope to find a better set more to my liking. I have also found this changing of hue to be more noticeable to me while using canvas, instead of masonite(with these paints anyway).
I also feel that the life in this painting should come from the contrasts and colors as you have suggested.
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and I will post the updated version as I make the changes.
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Shannon, Krysta, Mike and alynrr,
Thank you for taking the time to view and giving me your opinions as well!
As I said in my last post, I totally agree with Jundo, it is the contrast that is lacking. With more color contrast and a miriad of colors, this piece will come to life.
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:11 pm

I've done a bit more on this painting, I hope it's been improved a bit, I believe it has. I will do more tomorrow. Thanks for viewing and as always, commets/advice appreciated.
Attachments
Sea of Sand 007+sm.jpg
Sea of Sand 007+sm.jpg (101.49 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby Riaan Marais » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:30 am

I am an oil man. For the life of me, I can not paint with acrylics. You have done an excellent job. You must try this one in oils!!!! And remeber the contrasts, try over doing it bit then down toning it later.

Riaan Marais :D
Well, why are we here if not to create?
Riaan Marais

Postby krysta11 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:16 am

I really love it now Barb. Big difference comparing with the first one.
You are good painter B.
krysta11

Postby xxbreezy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 am

Well....I'm going the other way on my opinion which is just that. I sure hope I don't come across to critical as that is not my intent!!! I think its a little over kill now on the colors of the rocks and they all look the same from front to back. I think the colors you used are great just need to use different shades as you work towards the foreground of your painting. I like the sky in the first one and I would have used more "hot" colors there also. Beautiful job on the foliage and it shows up quite well!! I'm wondering if you
ing the very front rocks up a bit...make them a little higher on the page, it may level off your painting and give more depth to it as well?
I don't use acrylics or oils so I may be way off base here. As I said, just my opinion as I look at both of your paintings. You've done a beautiful job and love your passion!!!
Linda
xxbreezy

Postby BYart » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks for commenting Linda! I value your opinion as well. Please take a look at this piece in this forum - Sea of Sand revised. I like the revision much better.
Barb

BYart

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury