A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Please give me some opinion and suggestion...

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Please give me some opinion and suggestion...

Postby Justine » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:29 am

this is my first relief sculpture.Its quiet big.80cm x 80cm.I am not sure it look ok or no..n worry.Please give me ur opinion n suggestion so that i can improve on it.Thanks
Attachments
IMGP4740.JPG
IMGP4740.JPG (145.41 KiB)
Last edited by Justine on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justine

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Jundo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:05 am

I like it! Although I feel you need to paint it. I like it because it reminds me of a pine cone or similar seed so it has a surreal edge to it! It might be a good route to go down... From a distance it's percieved as one thing but as you get closer you realise the sum of it's parts as something completely different. I also like the figure in the bottom right who seems to be leaning into the sculpture as if jostleing for position (not sure if that was your intention) but it slightly changes the way I percieve the piece, although it's based on a large group of people you've allowed a little bit of individuality for one of the characters or a little personality. Please paint it though... I'd love to see the finished version.

All the best

Jundo
Jundo

Postby Jundo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:12 am

jIf I could make one constructive critisim after taking another look. If you create anothe piece along similar lines it might be worth being more individual with the characters... I noticed most of the hairstyles where the same or similar... Girls in a bob and boys with short hair. I think it would really add to the piece if you showed the great differences in people, the diversity if you like. This goes back a little to what I was trying to point out. You have the conformity of the group as a whole but at the same time you manage to represent individuality as well.

I might be talking garbage, it's just an opinion. All the same, well done, it's inspired me to comment.

Oh and welcome to a singular creation :)
Jundo

Postby Harmonygirl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:31 am

I like the depth of the piece. If I could add to Jundo's comment. It does need colour, but what pops into my mind is to add diversity by now painting it more abstract. For instance, instead of painting the hair one colour and the shirt another for each person, paint every person in tints of a colour. So one person would be a range of green and another a range of blue. This might show diversity without the little blocks of colour all over the place.

Just my thoughts, very nice piece, I can't wait to see what you decide to do.
Are you planning to do more in this medium? Lovely just lovely
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl

Postby krysta11 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:40 am

Hello Justine,

I don't know what title of this work is going to be but for me this piece says
"Came with nothing , go with nothing"
I must tell you Justine honestly , you created wonderful piece of art.
Jundo's constructive opinion and suggestions are very good !
Harmony is right too!
all the best
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:33 pm

I like the relief itself, it seems to me you wanted some uniformity with slight gesture variations. They work for me, they're subtle. Great concept too. Where you need to improve, is the base or frame, I'm not sure what it is. You didn't take the same care as with the relief, and takes away from the overall effect. Next time keep in mind even the smallest miss shows up from the right angle. Periodically check from all angles. I learned this the hard way.
As for painting or not: it looks to me you already sealed it. Painting a relief is always risky. If it works out, it can enhance the form, if not, you ruin your hard work. I usually go for watercolour as it can be wiped off if it doesn't look good.
Good luck, keep doing what you're doing, and have fun.
Erika Takacs

Postby Riaan Marais » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:39 am

I have no experience when it comes to sculpture. To me, this is one amazing art work. I might try something similar in 3D. It is truly inspiring.

Keep up the good work.

Riaan
Riaan Marais

Postby glomski777 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:06 am

I agree on that it needs some paint, even if was all black because it's kind of a dark image... very interesting though.
The mere attempt to examine my own confusion would consume volumes.
glomski777

comment

Postby sundownarts » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:02 pm

I think it looks great! I do want to say that the outer edge does need better finishing. Thanks for the view. :)
sundownarts

Postby nigelartist » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:18 pm

I would paint the characters to
eak up the uniformity of the work.

Plus I LOVE painting sculptures!

Good idea mind.
nigelartist