A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

New Work & Question???

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

New Work & Question???

Postby Jeff Lafferty » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:21 am

Hi, thought I would put up the latest, what's everyone think?

I've been trying to sell some of my pieces on eBay. I was wondering if anyone here sells their work on ebay, and how well its worked out?
Attachments
Running White Stallion by Jeffrey Michael Lafferty 500 w.jpg
Running White Stallion
Running White Stallion by Jeffrey Michael Lafferty 500 w.jpg (81.58 KiB)
Mother Gorilla by Jeffrey Michael Lafferty 1.jpg
Mother Gorilla
Mother Gorilla by Jeffrey Michael Lafferty 1.jpg (121.02 KiB)
Jeffrey Michael Lafferty
http://www.JeffLafferty.com
Jeff Lafferty

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:28 pm

Find art as I know it. Is a personal thing. It convays a feeling. And I think most anyone who is a fine art collector. Would want to view a piece of art up close. I don,t know much of the market as far as the internet gos. Some say they sell thier work on the internet. Perhaps that is true if one has a website. Or perhaps if they try to sell with a site like this one. (I,ve Been aimimg to do that. Had'nt yet.) But E-Bay and any site like that. Is an iternet fhea market. And I think it,s a waste of time.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:32 pm

And by the way, I like this work. It,s well done. And looks very good. I think it,s work that can sell in the right place.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jeff Lafferty » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks John
Jeffrey Michael Lafferty
Jeff Lafferty

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:14 am

The mom and baby gorilla is wonderful. E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby littlelostsoul » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:21 am

I auctioned 5 of my paintings on Ebay just before christmas last year. There was an Ebay offer that gave free Gallery entry (your item is highlighted and is pushed to the top of the page) which is usually very expensive, and if you dont sell, you lose out on a chunk of money. 2 out of 5 of my paintings sold to the same person, who has since come back privately to buy more. I think I was very lucky to grab someones attention and probably wouldn't have been successful if I hadn't used the Gallery option. If you can afford to do this everytime, it's definitely worth it to grab attention, but it's a risk. The problem with selling art on Ebay is that it is totally swamped with items, good and bad, so you have to really push yours to get it seen. Your work is beautiful, and I imagine it would prove popular with the right item listing!

Lucy
littlelostsoul

Postby arlynnhr » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 am

I like the gorillas...they're so sweet!!!
arlynnhr

Postby Jeff Lafferty » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:58 pm

eLostSoul Hey, thanks for the tip, I think that's the biggest problem I'm having, it just seems impossible to find my stuff on eBay unless you already know my name. I'm not giving up yet though. When I
owse eBay see some artists have like 22 pieces up, I can't believe they are going to all that trouble and not getting something out of it. I took a look at your home page, nice stuff.
Thanks Arlynnhr and ehoeveler
Jeff
Jeffrey Michael Lafferty
Jeff Lafferty

Postby littlelostsoul » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:11 pm

Thanks Jeff :)
I guess keywords are the most important thing then. Just make sure you get a whole bunch of them in there - literally as many as you can think of! Then anyone looking for your style and content can find it easily. There's no sure fire way of doing it, but I hope I've helped a bit. Good luck with it!

Lucy
littlelostsoul

Postby BAReam » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Thought I'd chime in on this. I had a friend post a few of my etchings on Ebay a couple years ago. We had them up for two or three weeks without a single bid. Don't know how many hits, if any... but I walked away pretty POed and disappointed. I did a search of etchings/prints on ebay and my work compared with the best I found, so it seems that quality is not the issue. So would think the keywords are the major factor; otherwise I guess I'm clueless. Good luck on ebay if you decide to give it a shot.
Many roads; One path. baream 08
BAReam

Postby Menolly » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:30 pm

I haven't seriously tried to sell any art on eBay, but I can tell you that the pool is a little crowded, and a few artists are taking more than their fair share of space; you can go three or four pages in sometimes and see nothing but a line of paintings/drawings from two or three artists. I agree that quality is not always the deciding factor, but exposure. I also think that you need to be prepared for a low sale price compared to what you feel your art is actually worth, because people just aren't fighting over art that much, especially from artists who aren't ridiculously famous. Also, the risk of fraud through forgery is a big concern here, so if you do list, it might help to provide buyers a link to a website with your work on it, or give some other proof that you're legit.
Menolly

Postby bergina » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Here is what I think. I am stunned! This is just so darn good. The prospective, ground looking up, is different and so interesting. Just wondering how you did this? Did you use a great photo or some ground work drawing at the zoo? I am a painter and color is my strength. Drawing is just something I have to do in order to get to the painting. You put this on EBay and they didn’t go? I’m not surprised as most people can’t appreciate the skill it takes to cerate something like this. What a shame.
Don’t let this deter you as you are so blessed. Here is my humble and a somewhat wild suggesstion as to how I see this work evolving.
Assuming you can paint and understand how to mix and create colors, paint the nose down to the neck area of the adult and put some very soft colors in the babies face. Do not paint the entire piece, just the focal points then see what happens on E- bay.
Al
bergina