A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Pawn Sculptures

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Pawn Sculptures

Postby BAReam » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:34 pm

Here are 4 views of a sculpture I did that announces the arrival of the "Pawn" concept... the torso is sculpted wood with carbon black from a candle, sealed with furniture polish. The base is scrap steel
azed together and NAILED to the torso with hand forged nails. Unfortunately this piece was sold to the head of the Graphic Arts dept. before I got some really good photos. Another example of one that got away, even though I was offered an embarassingly good price. Hope the files aren't too large.

A description of the "PAWN" will follow if I'm able to upload.
Image #2 {best one of course} is hiding in the computer somewhere.. will ferret him out and post in a bit :oops:
Attachments
Sculpture-Pawn-ASC#1.jpg
PAWN Sculpture
Sculpture-Pawn-ASC#1.jpg (121.36 KiB)
Sculpture-Pawn-ASC#3.jpg
PAWN Sculpture
Sculpture-Pawn-ASC#3.jpg (101.84 KiB)
Sculpture-Pawn-ASC#4.jpg
PAWN Sculpture
Sculpture-Pawn-ASC#4.jpg (86.72 KiB)
Last edited by BAReam on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BAReam

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:56 pm

I would like to see a good photo of this work. Perhaps you can come up with one. From what I can see. It looks like it might be impressive.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Pawn Sculptures #2

Postby BAReam » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Lets try this one more time... well folks after the 16th try finally got this to upload... that is after I finally found him cowering within the darkest recesses of my computer. It beats the H**L out of me how it got there... magic I guess :shock:

be well... Bruce
Attachments
Pawn Sculpture ASC.jpg
16th try
Pawn Sculpture ASC.jpg (130.95 KiB)
Last edited by BAReam on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAReam

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:23 pm

These pics are baad, Bruce, but I can imagine how good this must have looked. Best would be to take new pictures...if possible.
Erika Takacs

Too late... much too late my dear

Postby BAReam » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:38 pm

Ericka... you are absolutely right... the photos are BAD. Unfortunately this piece is LONG GONE, sold, finito!!

I have great chunk of knarly(sp) grained walnut I've saving for about 15yrs and I'm thinking seriously of doing a spin-off sculpture based on this piece. I WILL get some good photos before letting it go... IF I let it go.
BAReam

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Go for it, Bruce!
Erika Takacs

Flash of brilliance// mild stroke?

Postby BAReam » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Ericka.... just had a flash of
illiance, or perhaps a mind stroke :lol:

I'm going to try to find an owner of an abandoned/empty commercial building who is willing to donate the space for 30-60 days, and do a major installation based soley on the pawn concep i.e. lifesize sculptures similar to this piece. I'm getting all twitchy just thinking of the possibilities :shock:

Be well... Bruce
BAReam

Postby BAReam » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:41 pm

johnwalkeasy wrote:I would like to see a good photo of this work. Perhaps you can come up with one. From what I can see. It looks like it might be impressive.

Thanks John... finally found the best photo I have; not a good one but....... .
Had posted a reply yesterday, but must have deleted it without realizing it; Ooops.

Be well... Bruce
BAReam

Re: Flash of brilliance// mild stroke?

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:19 pm

BAReam wrote:Ericka.... just had a flash of
illiance, or perhaps a mind stroke :lol:

I'm going to try to find an owner of an abandoned/empty commercial building who is willing to donate the space for 30-60 days, and do a major installation based soley on the pawn concep i.e. lifesize sculptures similar to this piece. I'm getting all twitchy just thinking of the possibilities :shock:

Be well... Bruce

Sounds like a good idea. Even I'm getting excited. Need a helper? :lol:
Erika Takacs

Postby BAReam » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Ericka... yeh, sure; If you are serious. I figure it will take at least a year to put together. I'm going to see if there might be some grants available for this sort of thing. If it goes over well, might even consider doing one in Canada... who knows? I could pack up the whole thing in my 45' school bus:D

Be well... Bruce
BAReam

Postby bpier » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Great that it's already sold. Bad that I couldn't see a good photo of this piece. From what I can see, I like it a lot.

Brian
bpier

Gallery: View Gallery

good morning

Postby Michael Ortega » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:02 am

This is a wood piece?!!! Damn...it looks very good...I thought it was
onze at first glance. My only complaint is the subject matter...You have the vision...the torso (or facsimile) is a very traditional subject...the headless armless torso is almost a cliche...next time just go ahead and include the head...
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

Re: good morning

Postby BAReam » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Michael Ortega wrote:This is a wood piece?!!! Damn...it looks very good...I thought it was
onze at first glance. My only complaint is the subject matter...You have the vision...the torso (or facsimile) is a very traditional subject...the headless armless torso is almost a cliche...next time just go ahead and include the head...

Thanks Brian and Mike... the base is forged sheet steel scraps with
*** welding {
azed}. I'm formulating plans to do a major installation{ actually about 5 small installations} around the pawn them. The pawn figures will be life size and more like the monotype figures I posted earlier. I've located a three story abandoned warehouse of approx. 4000 sq. feet. Waiting to see if fire code will allow it to be used.
Many roads; One path. baream 08
BAReam

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:42 pm

Wow, Bruce, I love the plan. I was joking earlier, but it would be great to see this happen for sure. And to learn. I hope you show us lots of photos of the progress. How surprising, you never said anything about sculpting. :shock: Good luck with the grant!
Erika Takacs

Postby shelley wheeler » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:00 am

hey that's cool...i agree it's hard to see from the photo...my mind wrapped around the year long project, old warehouse studio...the whole concept even if it was someone elses project.....ahhhh nice...and to think some people daydream about winning the lottery or equally boring things..lol...good luck to you
shelley wheeler

Postby BAReam » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:00 am

Erika Takacs wrote:Wow, Bruce, I love the plan. I was joking earlier, but it would be great to see this happen for sure. And to learn. I hope you show us lots of photos of the progress. How surprising, you never said anything about sculpting. :shock: Good luck with the grant!

Hi Ericka... This project is going to be a lot of work and the "grant" is going to be a major pain in the tush, but I'm very PUMPED about the possibilities. I have a friend in Phoenix who has a small film company and he has gotten on board to do a series of videos of the show as promo. and comprehensive film of the show. It's going to be great!!
I have done a considerable amount of sculpting in stone, wood,
onze, steel and ceramic; access to suitable studio facilities is a problem though.
Thanks for your enthusiasm Ericka... much appreciated :D
BAReam

Postby BAReam » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:10 am

shelley wheeler wrote:hey that's cool...i agree it's hard to see from the photo...my mind wrapped around the year long project, old warehouse studio...the whole concept even if it was someone elses project.....ahhhh nice...and to think some people daydream about winning the lottery or equally boring things..lol...good luck to you

Thanks Shelley... I photoshopped the best photo and posted as Pawn Improved--Fury. This kind of project has been a long time coming, and much to do. It feels great to be so focused though. Winning the lottery... yaaah 8) think of the possibilitis... boggles the mind. Be well.
BAReam

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:07 am

BAReam wrote:
Erika Takacs wrote:Wow, Bruce, I love the plan. I was joking earlier, but it would be great to see this happen for sure. And to learn. I hope you show us lots of photos of the progress. How surprising, you never said anything about sculpting. :shock: Good luck with the grant!

Hi Ericka... This project is going to be a lot of work and the "grant" is going to be a major pain in the tush, but I'm very PUMPED about the possibilities. I have a friend in Phoenix who has a small film company and he has gotten on board to do a series of videos of the show as promo. and comprehensive film of the show. It's going to be great!!
I have done a considerable amount of sculpting in stone, wood,
onze, steel and ceramic; access to suitable studio facilities is a problem though.
Thanks for your enthusiasm Ericka... much appreciated :D

You're welcome. Enthusiasm of others always a good motivating factor. This project is like a dream job to me, since I'd like increase the size of my works. I'll be following your progress. And I'd like to see your other 3D stuff too.
Erika Takacs

Postby DLKeur » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:30 am

Actually, I like these shots of the work better than the "repost."

Bruce, even with the daylight glare, this looks to be very "edge." Nice, nice work.

It will be interesting to see the entire series and installment.

Dawn
DLKeur

Postby william » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:37 am

I don't see anything wrong with the shot either. I think the work is very interesting, use of wood and black carbon makes this even more impressive because on first glance, I didn't think wood....
william

Next