A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

collage and acrylic

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

collage and acrylic

Postby behrcsu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:50 pm

More new techniques for me.

This one is collage. The message is very subtle, but highly political. The photo is, unfortunately, washed out a bit.

All comments welcome.
Attachments
Corner.jpg
12"x12", acrylic on collage
Corner.jpg (16.64 KiB)
behrcsu

Postby Singular » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:22 pm

Not bad, but needs some work on perspective. Your vanishing point is not consistent. The colors are good, but the layout needs some attention.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby behrcsu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:25 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Can you be more specific about where the perspective falls down? I think you mean the perpindicular wall (the solid blue wall). Am I correct? What can I do to clean it up?
behrcsu

Postby Singular » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:46 pm

In your painting, I drew some black lines where the perspective of each object was in relation to my point of view. In the second one, it is where they are supposed to be based on the vanashing point you chose. You can always change your vanashing point and point of view for a better result or different image alltogether, but when laying out your objects, first choose your vp's and point of view and make sure that everything is consistent.

best regards,
Joe
Attachments
p2.png
p2.png (430.59 KiB)
p1.png
p1.png (431.57 KiB)
Singular
Founder

Postby behrcsu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:54 pm

Thank you. That really helps. The books, then, rather than being 'parallel' to one another in the bookshelf should gradually 'turn' toward the vanishing point, as the lines do in your second drawing?
behrcsu

Postby Singular » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:05 pm

Yes. All objects in the same direction or axis must appear as though they originate at the same point (vanishing point), unless of course there are multiple levels and points of view. Many drawings or paintings have one vanishing point because the point of view is straight ahead and the horizontal vp doesn't exist, When you start looking at objects from different angles, you will have to start incorporating multiple vp's, one for the x axis and one for the z.

here is an example of 2-point perspective: http://drawsketch.about.com/li
ary/weekly/aa021603c.htm

It is a very interesting topic that can drive you crazy at times, but will also give you great satisfaction when you get it.

I learned perspective drawing with a book from the li
ary. i highly recommend getting a book or even reading up on it through the internet.

best regards,
Joe
Last edited by Singular on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singular
Founder

Postby behrcsu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:07 pm

That really helps. I will work on it, get a new photo, and post when completed.
behrcsu

Postby starvingartist » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:44 pm

could you post a bigger picture i want to study it and decide why its political?? :) even thought its not perspectied correctly it looks really good. i didnt even notice untill joe pointed the books out. :roll:
starvingartist

Postby behrcsu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:55 pm

I will definitely post a larger version after I resolve the the perspective. The politics are very subtle, but they are there. Look to the books in the bookshelf, where the turret of the tank is pointing, and the headlines in the paper on the shelf. Those are the clues.
behrcsu

Postby behrcsu » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:07 am

Well, I used the drawing you provided last night to enhance the piece and it worked wonderfully. I've now got a new perspective on how to create perspective in the 2 D world (Pun intended). I didn't have a chance to photograph it last night - my 'studio' is at my
others. I will get a photo, probably this weekend, and post it.

I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Using that information really 'pulls' the right edge of the bookshelf and the turret of the tank off of the page. These are the kinds of suggestions I came here to get. Thank you.
behrcsu

Adjustments mad

Postby behrcsu » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:13 pm

Hi,

As promised, here is the photo with changes. I've included the first so you can see, again, what I started from. The second is what it looks like now. One word: the blue is not true in any of these photos. It's actually quite vi
ant in reality, but appears washed out. I will eventually have professional photos taken of all my stuff (when I can afford it).

Thanks again for the suggestions. I really appreciate them.

Jess
Attachments
Corner_Final.jpg
Corner_Final.jpg (101.85 KiB)
Corner_Initial.jpg
Corner_Initial.jpg (102.17 KiB)
behrcsu

Postby Singular » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:24 pm

Definitely better. The newspaper is kind of throwing me off, but the rest are definitely in better perspective.

good work,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby behrcsu » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:19 pm

It's funny that you mention the paper. It was bothering me too, so I fixed it today. I will get a picture of the new final version later this week and post it.
behrcsu

Postby starvingartist » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:49 pm

you know i dont see anything subtle about this paiting. its all about war and religion... i was looking for an even more subtle meaning. :lol: i like it though :D it looks real nice! :D
starvingartist

Postby behrcsu » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:16 pm

The irony of war and religion is definitely part of my message.

Religion, all of which ostensibly seek peace, leads to war. Hence the tank and the cross, with the Bible, placed in the corner of a traditional American living room.

The subtlety is 2 fold. One, the tank is in a frame, as if it is a piece of art when it serves one purpose only: to destroy. It may be 'cool' looking. but the reality of why it was created and what it is capable of doing makes one wonder if it is really art.

Also, one of the books in the book case is Tsun Tzu's 'Art of War'. While this text is definitely about war and specifically how to win a war, it also is about balance. In it, he advises to prepare for war in times of peace, but also warns about too great a power imbalance and how that attracts war. That notion is meant to resonate with the headlines in the newspaper, in which our insecurity level goes up (Alert level) as our tanks destroy our enemy. In a country with enough military might to destroy the world several times over, we remain incredibly insecure and afraid. The more we seek to defend ourselves, the more insecure and intolerant we become. I'm definitely not a pacifist, but I believe this is something that we, as a nation, need to look at.

Yet, as most people do when they see this collage, it all looks 'normal'. That's the irony and the subtle message.
behrcsu

Postby SONIC » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:42 pm

:D
Hey I really like the top 2/3!
The bottom from my perspective is just overkill.
The juxtaposition of the tank and the cross
pretty much says it all.

This of course is just an opinion I juet feel that visually
the books regardless of what they are or pertain to are
too much and take away from the
power created by the top two images.

Like the merging of the two mediums however.

Continue please to create new imagery.

Looking forward to more.
Keep it simple! :)
TO KNOW ME IS TO KNOW THYSELF.
JOY IS WITHIN AND WHEN IT IS SO
IT WILL BE NOT ONLY MANIFESTED
WITHOUT BUT FELT THERE AS WELL.
PEACE~ BILL 5ONIC GUIDE
MODERNMYSTERYSCHOOL.COM
SONIC