A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Shallow Streets

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Shallow Streets

Postby nina » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:30 pm

This work has gathered awards in several competitions but I am open to what the larger art community thinks of it, how it might reflect my techinque? Am I going in a good direction? I'm just 21, graduated with my BA in Art this spring and eager to get going in the art world. Ok disclaimer finished. :)
ps. I painted this after a trip to Venice
Attachments
Shallow Streets.jpg
Shallow Streets.jpg (79.82 KiB)
nina

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:41 pm

The colors and detail and overall look of this work are outstanding.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby jacquie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:41 am

You did an awesome job with depth here and I love the movement in the water.
As far as "going in the right direction" my personal belief is you have to listen to your instincts and internal guide for that. You have wonderful talents - just keep moving forward with you art based on where you want to go with it.
jacquie

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Big R » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:43 am

Dang makes me want to go there
Big R

Postby Singular » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:34 pm

very very nice. You did a very good job on perspective and depth. It is also very clean and detailed. I also like the relections and ripples in the water very much. I only recommend that the water has more shades of the colors surrounding it. I would like to see some greens in the reflection from the trees and some lighter colors in the rflection from the building in the background.

You are definitely a very talented painter.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Quite simply...

Postby behrcsu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:31 pm

fantastic. I love it.
behrcsu

Postby starvingartist » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:49 pm

best painting ive seen on this website by far.. :D

ill remember i saw you on a messageboard before you were famous..

stay gold :)
starvingartist

Water

Postby nina » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:43 pm

In regards to the reflections, the water there in Venice was very murky, so there actually weren't any reflections of real value to paint except the sky...the picture is too grainy, there is much more detail than actually shows in this picture and thats my fault
nina

Re: Water

Postby Singular » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:51 pm

nina wrote:In regards to the reflections, the water there in Venice was very murky, so there actually weren't any reflections of real value to paint except the sky...the picture is too grainy, there is much more detail than actually shows in this picture and thats my fault

That's what I thought. I had a feeling about the water not casting reflections. It is an amazing painting regardless.

You should look into my annual art competition here. I think you would do very well.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Postby Sylas » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:08 pm

The one thing I would wish to see is more attention to the background. Not nessecarily more in the background, but paying attention to atmospheric perspective, or even using your artistic Liscence to create some foggyness/unfocusedness to the background. I fell that if that was a bit more exagerated it would really make the picture pop much more, considering that it seems you are going for this exaggerated composition.
What I absolutely loce about this piece is your execution of the water, definately stylilized, but fits and reads as realism withh the piece as a whole. That and your use of green/teal in the water, instead of shades of blue. I have been to Venice and seen it's murky water, and it shows you were truly paying attention.
Kudos!
-Jackie
www.sylasstudios.com
Sylas

Postby starvingartist » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:53 pm

Bump. :D

Im bumping this so it goes to the top so we can still reconise it
Talk medical shows on my messageboard.

http://medicalshows.myfastforum.org/index.php
starvingartist

Postby nina » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:04 pm

For those that have dropped me advice on here, thank you very much for your thoughts....In the time it's been since I have posted this I have worked much more on the background and focus...an updated version of this painting will be posted soon :) oh and I got accepted into my first big art festival...it's in Florida in Fe
uary and I'm very excited...you can check the festivals website at www.imagesartfestival.org

and thanks for the bump starving :) the difference between amatures and masters is the desire that drives one to create and create until they have had their fill...amatures are fullfilled quickly...masters can never get enough...you'll be a master someday :)
nina

Postby Singular » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:11 pm

Hey Nina,
Congratulations on being accepted to the festival. You definitely deserve it.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder