A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Winter

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Winter

Postby KarinPavlic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:42 pm

This is a gouache that I did just before New Year. It is the first winter scene tha I ever tryed to paint.

So well, what do you think?
Attachments
Karin1.jpg
Karin1.jpg (96.8 KiB)
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
KarinPavlic

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Really like this one. The sky is great. Don,t get to see much snow where I,m at. But did have a little a coulpe of weeks ago.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KarinPavlic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:09 pm

Thank you very much johnwalkeasy. :)

Winters here arn't anymore what they used to be. We did have some snow this season for about 6 weeks but was barley to the ancles. The last real winter was about 8 years ago when the snow reached to our knees. I wonder what will happend to the world, it seems 'snow' is movin to places where is not usual sight...and summers are somewhat mild in July, almost springly and August&September get terrible heat wawes. :/
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
KarinPavlic

Postby Ted » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:45 am

Just what I get from this piece, nice work yet lacking in mystery for my taste for this image. What about color (RED) blood red yea from the middle heavy and fading into the trees as if a struggle took place. Not to sound like a manic of course, to me art has a way of telling you its own story when we look at it.
Ted

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:35 am

Interesting perspective from Ted. This does seem to
be a "What you see is what you get" type of piece.
That's fine with me, I like to see something I can
understand (usually) :lol:
What I see are tracks in the snow on a gorgeous
winter day. Of course, those tracks are going
somewhere... All in all a beautiful picture that says
'The journey is good so far but there might be
a little trouble ahead'. E
ehoeveler

Postby bergina » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:58 pm

If this is your first snow painting, well you have a gift for the white stuff. Overall, I think you did a very good job. This critique is based on my approach so if it helps you in any way great if not, no problem. I do not know what a gouache is? Anyway, for me, the sky seems very moody and seems set the tone of the entire painting and it works very well. Painting snow is a real challenge.
From what I see on my computer screen, I would make two suggestions:
Make the snow from foreground to mid- ground warm to cool but so very subtle. Check the color wheel out and work with perhaps a soft blue, blue purple for the back- mid and then a complimentary warmer color in the front. This will give your snow some more depth. Whenever I have a chance to use complimentary colors in a painting I take it but it's not easy to get the right intensity of color.
Secondly, the lines in the mid/ back ground are much too sharp. They are the same as the foreground. E.g Soften the snow line on the left side the further back it goes (blend the two contrasting colors). If you like color, use every opportunity to fire a little in, trees, and background but keep it subtle and softer lines.
Al
bergina