A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

PORTRAIT WITH OILS...let me know what you think.

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

PORTRAIT WITH OILS...let me know what you think.

Postby yag411 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:54 pm

22"X28" OIL ON CANVAS. Portrait of my mom.
Attachments
mom3.jpg
mom3.jpg (77.05 KiB)
yag411

Postby Singular » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Are you serious? :shock: This is oil. Unbelievable. I don't have words for how good this is. Your mom looks very young. How old are you?
Last edited by Singular on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby yag411 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Yeah she is pretty young. I am 20. And thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed this.
yag411

Postby KarinPavlic » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:28 pm

I give my hat down before this. It is perfect, alive, sparkling. You did a stunning work with it.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
KarinPavlic

Postby bergina » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:03 pm

I am blown away, period. I have never seen anything quite like this, great colour and so accurate. Smoken portrait. You should be proud.
bergina

?

Postby gnash » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am

it's not that it's not a really terrific image, but, just for discussion's sake, i wish i could see some
ush strokes, or canvas coming through or something that would really say that it was painted, as opposed to "painted" in Photoshop. what i see often in these forums are pictures of such great technical ability, drawn well, perfect lighting, shadowing, coloring, and things in the background that are extraneous, like in a photo - like those little blue things behind her head. or like someone who prints out a photo on canvas and then paints over it - which is still a painting, sorta. i've done it myself of things i wanted to be perfect. i just wonder in this digital age . . .
if none of that is true of you, then you are masterful. and your mother should be proud.
gnash

Postby yag411 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:54 am

Hey gnash, thanks for responding to this post!! This actually has none of the technological things that you mentioned, I like to keep it old fashioned. Its just paint and canvas. You can actually see the texture of the canvas and
ush strokes in real life, this is just a pretty large painting, and the image I uploaded is pretty small. You can see the photo I posted for size comparison. anyway, thanks again.
Attachments
asd.jpg
asd.jpg (77.82 KiB)
yag411

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:57 am

To add to the others, it's so wonderful. Magnificent work and you made your Mom look like a very nice lady. You're a good son. E
ehoeveler

great!

Postby gnash » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:25 am

sorry, guy, for doubting you. and the work behind you is yours? the dice, etc.? you look so young to be so good. but i know another guy (see ArtWanted.com - kiddolucas lee) who is just as accomplished and about your age-ish. just amazing work. i don't know how you expect us to critique you.

and, please!, DO take close-up shots sometimes of the work so we less skilled folk may examine your technique and try to emulate you. i dont' often get to go to the Louvre.

and, to my comments, i've just been to so many shows in recent years where someone had entered a digital "painting" that was only a touched up photograph printed out on canvas. it's made me very skeptical.
gnash

who are you?

Postby gnash » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:29 am

and, by the way, what is your name??
gnash

Postby yag411 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:45 pm

hey, no worries about the doubting thing, this is a forum and you are supposed to ask those kinds of questions. My name is Greg by the way, and yeah, the paintings behind me are mine as well. I have two other portraits on the Ready for the fury forum if you have some time to check them out.
Last edited by yag411 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yag411

Postby Ted » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:10 am

What is interesting about talent to me is that it is an overflow from GOD and through us his artistic creativeness is embedded in our minds and sometimes we produce things that we know comes from him. Just my take on skills that artist have and you posses and people see and words "Try"! to explain.
Ted

Godlessness

Postby gnash » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:06 pm

is next to righteousness.
When we start taking responsibility for not only our mistakes but also our successes, the world will be better for it. Certainly there is a well of creativity in each of us from which we draw upon in magic moments - and too bad it's not more often. Yag is drowning in his well right now!
gnash

Postby rruxandra » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:06 pm

great work ! from what i see in that room punk , skate, are things for vulcanic personalityz... it`s pretty cool that you have that much control over your work ! good luck ! peace :mrgreen:
rruxandra

Portrait

Postby Carmelo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:55 pm

A masterfully done portrait Yag. There is a great expression that comes across and is a vanguard for the warm colors.
Carmelo

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mwebb85 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:03 am

Did you copy this from a photograph, then? It seems like the value on the right side (the dark spot with the hair) is too dark to really go with the rest of the picture?

Of course, that could be the fault of the camera/the second camera/my silly monitor....
mwebb85