A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

New matte-painting (Kingdomcome)

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

New matte-painting (Kingdomcome)

Postby Ted » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:59 pm

This Image is my newest project, that I have been putting off for sometime. It feels like sometimes paintings hybernate inside and tell me when they are ready to germinate, anyway work in progress.
Attachments
Kingdomecome 512 x 396 signed.jpg
Kingdomecome 512 x 396 signed.jpg (99.57 KiB)
Ted

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby KarinPavlic » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:42 pm

It looks realy,realy good. :shock:
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
KarinPavlic

Postby xxbreezy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:11 am

I love this...very original idea!!!
xxbreezy

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:16 am

It is a very original look - don't see much of this type lately.
I like it alot. E
ehoeveler

medium?

Postby deeangela » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:22 pm

What medium did you use for this piece? Oil? Almost looks like a digital image... I don't in general like this kind of realistic work, but I can't deny the talent if that is oil.. well done.
deeangela

Postby mwebb85 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:13 am

There's a few parts of this piece that I don't understand.

1. Lighting - You have this big glow-y mansion in the sky, right? But the pond, ground, and especially the bottom-right corner are lit just like a normal sunny day, thus making it seem like these were just two images stuck together. The two parts need to affect one another in order for the piece to be one cohesive image.

2. The clouds seem to curve over the curve of the mountains in the background, which doesn't make sense. If the castle is supposed to be in the middle or foreground, then bits of cloud are going to have to obscure the mountain. If the castle is supposed to be way in the back, then the mountains have to obscure some of the clouds. No curving should be happening in either case.

3. Back to the bottom right corner - Because warmer colors push towards the front, and it's
ighter in value to the rest of the painting, your little patch of yellow grass is the main focal point in this piece, NOT the castle. You need to either diminish the power of that corner, or increase the power (through color or value) of the castle.
mwebb85

Postby bergina » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:27 pm

I may have asked this before concerning your work but is this painted with oils (or acrylic) and paint
ush / air
ush or all done digitally?
bergina

sunlight

Postby gnash » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:56 pm

i can see you wanted a shot of light going through the cloud/castle and hitting the ground. but i understand why it's hard to accept the planes that everything is supposed to be on. i think this is a very hard concept to create without the whole ceiling of a church to work with (like the Sistine Chapel). the castle part looks too heavy to be floating in the clouds. seems like it needs to be a tad more ethereal. but i wonder what it looks like close up.
you're the one with the waterfall, aren't you? you really are a great artist.
gnash

Postby Ted » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:11 pm

I have been having issues logging in, so my repplies are now being posted. Yes this is all digital, most of my work now days are digital. To construct and develop matte-paintings. This piece is not finished I could have posted in (work in progress) its just I like who comes here, and just used to it I guess. anyway The lighting for this one "is" going to be challenging as well the compositions balance. One thing with the construction of the Kingdom is to appear that its being reveled from one realm into another ours. Imagine this being live film and motion added to details, the clouds rolling lighting changes and air manipulates the atmosphere to give dramatic power to the Kingdom. I was thinking of adding some landscape to the kingdom like water or valleys something to give more depth, Of course I would have to open it up a bit, but I think this could be helpful. Thankyou for the comments.
Ted

Postby Ted » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:29 pm

I made a few adjustments with details.
Attachments
Kingdomcome 7 signed 799 x 550.jpg
Kingdomcome 7 signed 799 x 550.jpg (101.09 KiB)
Ted

Postby pamearleywine » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:07 pm

That is really cool - one of those pieces you could spend hours looking at
pamearleywine