A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Study of a Swan

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Study of a Swan

Postby pamearleywine » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:38 pm

This is one of my new oils. I was interested in attempting to paint the shallow water and wet white bird (don't know how successful I was)

My daughter likes it - and she is quick to tell me when she doesn't. My boyfriend doesn't like the colors I used, doesn't like the subject, and doesn't like the way its standing .........I think he doesn't LIKE it :o As for me, its hard to say because I never like anything I do when I first finish it. (Have to leave it sit for a few weeks then look again). I am thinking about entering it in an upcoming show though = so I would very very much appreciate some honest opinions - good and/or bad.

Thanks much

Pamela

Attachments
Swan.bmp..bmp
Swan.bmp..bmp (94.31 KiB)
pamearleywine

Postby bergina » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Wow, I think this is really very good. The water in the background is well done and natural looking, great texture on the swans neck, the reflection of the swan in the shallow water / sand is very good. The only thing I am having trouble with is I want to see more of the bird as you did such a great job painting it but I realize it is a study.
I'd be proud to have my name under that one,
Al
bergina

Gallery: View Gallery

Swan

Postby Carmelo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:28 pm

It is a great view of King Cob saying "Here's lookin atcha" Actually, I being a lover of swans find this one interesting in the fact you chose a composition quite unique for a swan painting. That the whole bird is not seen gives one the opportunity to study the exquisite details of the bird and the water. I must say that I give it an "A" in swan looks.
Carmelo

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby beautifulbay » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:44 pm

I am also a huge swan fan....I love them and this is a gorgeous painting with a fabulous composition of the bird. Nicely done!
DRAW~ even if no one else understands why~ PAINT~ even if no one believes in you
CREATE~ Lose yourself in your own world ~ Just do it because you love it!
beautifulbay

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:24 pm

Extremely well-done, Pamela! E
ehoeveler

Postby pamearleywine » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 am

:D Thanks everyone for your input. Think I will go ahead and try to enter it in a show.

Pamela
pamearleywine

Postby SPARTAN » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:45 pm

I THINK YOU SHOULD! IT'S STUNNING.
SPARTAN

Postby xxbreezy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:44 pm

There is NOTHING wrong with this!! You did a fantastic job and if it were me....I would enter it. Good Luck to you!!
xxbreezy

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:58 pm

All of the above. Tell your boyfriend to go jump. E
ehoeveler

Postby pamearleywine » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:43 pm

hahaha - just goes to show the pros and cons of being with another artist - he shows amazing patience with me being up til all hours of the night painting and stumbling up in the morning to get ready for work - but, he pretty much doesn't like anything I do and I have learned not to take him to any art show openings with me (especially if I won anything) as he gets very very grumpy and wants to go home right away.

Thanks again for the input everyone, I entered the art show with this one and will find out in about a month if it got accepted.

:D

Pamela

If anyone is interested, my kids put together a website with some of my work (I am really really bad about selling stuff before I get any photos of it for my records, gonna work on that). It is at http://www.pamearleywine.com
pamearleywine

Postby bergina » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:30 pm

For anyone who has the time and wants to see some absolutely incredible charcoal drawings and paintings, check Pam’s web site ( above post) I am absolutely humbled by this girls work as it is just so darn good, world class.
Al
bergina

Postby gnash » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:46 pm

it's
illiant. i wish i'd done it. your boyfriend's as bad as mine, who always says "that's nice" to anything i do.
gnash

Postby xxbreezy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:29 am

Yes please go check it out if you haven't. I did......and I couldn't stop looking!!! This is fantastic and well worth your time!!!
xxbreezy

even better

Postby gnash » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:27 am

it gets better when it's bigger. just wonderful. really great. you put so many special elements into it. the swan just coming up from dunking his head, the feathers all wet, the contrast between the blue & oranges, the reflection in the water. great.
gnash

other pictures

Postby gnash » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:30 am

yes! that Corky picture is very special. and the horses are perfection. there's a market here for horse pictures.
gnash

Postby Ted » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:17 am

Fantastic Work!
Ted

Postby pamearleywine » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:37 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :D
Thank you every one so much for your feedback. It means very much to me as I don't generally have the opportunity to get other artists opinions. Of course, my website is still a work in progress (I just asked the kids to take the comment page out because it isn't working - comments are going off in cyber space never never land) and I still have a lot to learn about the use of color, etc. - but am so very happy that you all seem to like what I have been doing so far.

Many many thanks :D

Pam Earleywine
pamearleywine

Postby xxbreezy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:38 pm

You certainly do not give yourself enough credit. You are so very talented and you can only get better and better. I am my worst critic too so I know how you feel but you need to "feed" off the support that you are given and run with it!!! You will go a long way in the art field and coming here for support and positive criticism can help you on your way!!!!
xxbreezy

Pat yourself on the back

Postby gnash » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Your humbleness is almost too much in contrast with the highly talented work you do. i'd prefer to think that when someone gets this good that they can just spend a lot of time patting themselves on the back! not worrying about it.
gnash

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:54 pm

I agree with Gnash - I think it's good to be self-critical always,
otherwise we'd (I'd) be in constant denial about the quality of
our work. I think your boyfriend has beaten you down - Don't
feel bad, my husband does the same. It sounds like you both
have wildly divergent painting philosophies - ask him to respect
your view as you do his!
If he continues to misbehave, I would set one of his paintings
on fire :lol: . Just kidding, sort of. E
ehoeveler