A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

"Gentle Hand"

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

"Gentle Hand"

Postby Nikki Lee » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:28 pm

Hey Everyone

This is a drawing I just completed. I don't have a scanner right now so the picture I took of it isn't that great. The top outside edges are a little fuzzy and the background is a little pixely but it`s the best I could do. Just looking for some pointers or anything at all that you could tell me!

If you would like I could also post a picture of the original photograph..just let me know!

Thanks

Nikki
Attachments
DCFN0031 - altered.jpg
DCFN0031 - altered.jpg (42.36 KiB)
Nikki Lee

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:43 am

This looks really good. I like your style. E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby DLKeur » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:56 am

Very good. To my eye, the horse is, overall, too small. And I wish you had gotten the cowboy's whole hand and cuff. The work itself is very good. You have a good hand.
DLKeur

Postby beautifulbay » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:07 am

I like this piece a lot, but I agree with DLKeur, the horse's head looks too small compared to the man and I think too much of the arm after the hand is cut out, but that part doesn't get to me too much....this horse looks like it wouldn't belong to this rider though, he is just to small for him. But, it isn't really easy to see either...this is very beautiful work.
DRAW~ even if no one else understands why~ PAINT~ even if no one believes in you
CREATE~ Lose yourself in your own world ~ Just do it because you love it!
beautifulbay

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:18 pm

Nikki, it's a good drawing. Nice job on the cowboy. His right hand's position is a little awkward in my opinion. Even if it's positioned like this on the photo, an open hand, as if petting the horse, would look much better and it would show better closeness between horse and man.
Erika Takacs

Postby beautifulbay » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:45 am

Erika, having horses, I wanted to reply on the hand being like that...that's a very common way to give your horse a pet, is with the knuckles as it massages them better than open fingers....they like a firm touch...so to horse people, this shows the man as having a very good bond with his horse....it's just something that I see often....especially with men and their horses. My husband likes to wrestle with his horse and they like to give each other big nudges...sweet, but manly. :)
DRAW~ even if no one else understands why~ PAINT~ even if no one believes in you
beautifulbay

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:52 pm

I didn't know that. So then it's fine. I always look at a work from an esthetic point of view. :)
Erika Takacs

Postby beautifulbay » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:18 pm

I totally understand! I tend to do the same a lot.
This drawing is very sweet and I think it shows a beautiful thing between a cowboy and his horse.
beautifulbay

Postby Nikki Lee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:30 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. This is a just a young horse so it is not yet full grown, which is why the head is smaller. The picture was taken at a friends house when they were training there starting horses.

I do agree that too much of the hand is cut off in the picture, but I didn't really realize it until you pointed it out.

Thanks again for your input.

Nikki
Nikki Lee

Postby beautifulbay » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:53 am

:D Nikki, it rally is a lovely drawing! You may want to title it in a way that shows the horse should be a little small, that way it never raises that question ...just a thought! Very well rendered!
beautifulbay

Postby Michael Ortega » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:44 am

I don't have too much to add that has not been pointed out already. I guess the only thing that really bugs me is the incomplete elbow etc.
You have very strong pencil skills...
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

Postby gfitz » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:11 pm

I don't mind his elbow being gone so much, but what bothers me are the reins. Their upward arc into oblivion makes my eye swing up and off the image plane without anything to
ing it back in again. Perhaps if they fell straight to the ground, or were in the man's other hand . . . The foreshortening on the fingers is a hard thing to get right and I'd be reluctant to try it myself -- so more power to you on that! The drawing itself is excellent!!
gfitz