A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Old Lady

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Old Lady

Postby SER » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:06 pm

I am not sure how I feel about this one. Need feedback
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (84.2 KiB)
SER

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby DLKeur » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:09 pm

So far so good. Continue.
DLKeur

Postby SER » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:21 pm

What is it that needs work? I am at a standstill right now. I thought maybe it was done, yet something still bothers me.
SER

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:41 pm

The highlighting around her eyes looks pink and fuzzy like
her bathrobe. Other-colored shading around her eyes look
weird and uneven.
Being of a certain age mysef, the overall picture disturbs me.
I gotta ask, what are you trying to say with this old gal? E
ehoeveler

Postby SER » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:55 pm

I don't think it's the pink under her eyes that bothers me, it is more your question. I don't know what I am trying to say with this one, maybe that is the trouble I am having. What disturbs you about it and what kind of emotion do you feel?
SER

Postby JORGE GARCIA » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:49 pm

I think the best aspect is the hair. Its great and so realistic
JORGE GARCIA

Postby Singular » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:01 pm

Overall, a very well done portrait. It's tough to accomplish realism so well. One area I can see that could use some refining is the chin and neck line. It looks like a dark outline with a fine pen. Since your light source is directly in front of the subject, maybe slightly above her, the shadows should be there. I can see you did put a small shadow under her chin, but in realiity, it would not be that contrasting. The shadow whould be that dark, but would be gradual the farther away from the chin you get. That would eliminate the dark outline. Start the shadow dark underneath the chin and jawline, but smooth it out gradually down the neck to create depth.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:36 am

What disturbs me is that she's older than God and she's
wearing a bathrobe. The pink lipstick tells me she's waiting
at the nursing home for a visit from her kids.
I feel scared and depressed. E
ehoeveler

Postby SER » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:39 am

I will work on the shadow under the chin, thanks. As far as being depressed with the lipstick and waiting for a visit, which she was, I hope I still have someone that wants to visit me at that point and who I want to put make-up on for. It's hard to watch your looks go. I get a daily reminder of that. It is also disturbing to see a picture of the inevitable, if you can be fortunate enough to get there.
SER

Postby revad » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 am

SER I agree.

I always say when asked, getting one year older each birthday is fantastic as the (current) alternative ain't so hot ;)

I admire your skill in capturing the human condition and don't feel qualified to comment technically.
revad

Postby pamearleywine » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:17 am

I think that it is an excellent portrait and very well done. The only thing I see that could be done different is to lose some of the lines. Parts of her look almost outlined - and I think in any realistic painting you should lose some of the edges and hard lines totally. Kind of like you did with her hairline - it looks very real, but there are no hard lines or edges.

Pamela
pamearleywine

Postby DLKeur » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:28 am

You need a slight indication of shadow where her dress meets her chest skin. Just enough so it doesn't look melded to her skin. Use a value between the color of the dress and her skin color, and dilute the oil using a very soft
ush to do it. You need to add a few lines to indicate individual hairs. The highlights around her eyes need just a touch of toning. They're a bit too
ight, imo. However, if you feel satisfied and the family that commissioned it is happy, leave it be.
DLKeur

Postby SER » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:28 pm

I have been taking everyones advice into much consideration, and have toned down the lines, and worked on the shadowing. It's great having ten eyes. Sometimes the original two get tired. Thanks all, it's looking better. SER
SER